Result!

London Best

Two magpies have been hanging around my garden for three days. This is, obviously, verboten. They were there when I let the dog out this morning and I knew they would be back at some point during the day, so I opened the window and nearly closed the curtains. I kept half an eye out virtually all day. They were back about 11.30 but I was spotted as I slid the rifle through the gap in the curtains. I didn’t see them again until about 5.45 when I caught one offside on the shed roof. He failed to spot the barrel poke out. I picked it up and set him up on the hedge where it’s mate would spot it and, sure enough, I had the pair by 6.00. Most satisfying, outwitting magpies.          

Mark 1 HW77K Venom .22.

I've shot lots in my garden, they hit the bird feeders. Shoot one and wait for the rest.

I've noticed one that's been around for months hiding out of my way. Makes some  funny noises, like car alarm beeping when doors are locked, it has a full repartoir on a morning. I've made noises back to it and it happily sits and copies me. It stayed hidden in next doors shrubs for a while. Now it calls me when I go in the garden, wife says your little mates here again. When I get a few in the garden I wait to hear which is the one that calls me then I shoot one or two of others.  One day I'll end up shooting it but for now I'm enjoying it. It's learning the duck feeding chatter lately. 😂

Edited by figgy

I popped one off the tv aerial while his mate was on the roof line. The dead one fell on the roof tiles, the second one went nuts and danced around it. Unfortunately, he took a round to the head and fell to the ground. That was 10 years ago and magpies have never landed on my roof again. They’re happy to sit on surrounding roofs but will not come near my one. Very strangle creatures.

Had a record couple of weeks on Magpies - after failing dismally all year to reduce the local population (hands up - poor marksmanship and a Spaniel that runs around the garden yapping every time I pick up the gun) I have shot 5 for 5 shots, I'm on a roll! One was a bit fluky - he sat for about 1/2 hour making bubbling noises while we were having a family BBQ so I put a shot his way hoping to scare him off (wasn't a serious shot - he was a good 60 yards away) - aimed about a foot above him hoping that the pellet rattling through the Hawthorn would do the job when surprise, surprise a solid thud preceded him dropping like a stone.

On 22/09/2020 at 19:37, London Best said:

Two magpies have been hanging around my garden for three days. This is, obviously, verboten. They were there when I let the dog out this morning and I knew they would be back at some point during the day, so I opened the window and nearly closed the curtains. I kept half an eye out virtually all day. They were back about 11.30 but I was spotted as I slid the rifle through the gap in the curtains. I didn’t see them again until about 5.45 when I caught one offside on the shed roof. He failed to spot the barrel poke out. I picked it up and set him up on the hedge where it’s mate would spot it and, sure enough, I had the pair by 6.00. Most satisfying, outwitting magpies.          

Mark 1 HW77K Venom .22.

that brings "curtain twitcher" to an all new level..............:lol: