Sat navs

mellors

42 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

I am positive you can get one that does it on it's own. Look for one with updates too as road systems are constantly altering in the UK

Yes I thought the same. Been to halfords told them what I want. Said I'd best buy the most expensive one should do everything I need. May as well wear badges that say I haven't got a clue. 

1 hour ago, B725 said:

Just use Google maps on your phone. 

I do but it's such a faff on your own trying to keep the phone where you can see it and have it plugged in the charger on long journeys. Found the  TomTom go 6200. Built in Sim and loads of other stuff which I probably won't use. 👍

I thought I was the last person remaining on the planet without a smartphone, but maybe mellors is another one?  

Anyway, I read somewhere that Garmin LMT-S models get traffic info via a smartphone, whereas the equivalent LMT-D models pick up their traffic info from digital radio broadcasting.   Last time I looked, the D models were a lot more expensive.   Not even sure if they are still available.

10 hours ago, McSpredder said:

I thought I was the last person remaining on the planet without a smartphone, but maybe mellors is another one?  

Anyway, I read somewhere that Garmin LMT-S models get traffic info via a smartphone, whereas the equivalent LMT-D models pick up their traffic info from digital radio broadcasting.   Last time I looked, the D models were a lot more expensive.   Not even sure if they are still available.

Got the TomTom 6200. Phone battery soon goes flat so it'll do the job nicely. Just got show her how to use it as well. After my lads shown me 😁

I always use the built in to the vehicle, but before that and before I retired always used Tomtom in my lorry. Best software and mapping. Better GPS reception and route selection.

Incidentally todays member offer from BASC includes a decent looking satnav for a considerable saving. Only expensive if you subscribe to live updates. 

https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/collections/shop-mounts/products/quad-lock-car-mount

Get one of these car mounts plus the right case for your phone which has an integrated shape on the back attaching to the mount.  The system is brilliant, I've had it about a year now and I'm amazed it's been so good.

Google maps beats the poop out of tom-tom