Irish passport

AVB

My children’s school careers and further education department have advised any pupils who can get an EU passport to do so as it will aid the possibility of attending a European university easier. At the same time the daughter of a friend has just received an offer from a French Bank (in the UK) and they said one of the things in her favour was that she had an Irish passport. 

My children are probably eligible for Irish Passports as my wife’s parents were Irish and she herself had an Irish passport until she let it lapse. 

It’s a no brainer really so I am about to start the process. Apparently I need to register them as foreign born citizens first and then apply for a passport after. 

Has anybody else been through this recently? 

Anyone who's parents or grandparents are Irish can have an Irish passport. My son got his years ago (he also holds a British one) based on my wife being Irish. 

It would be easier if your wife had been born in Ireland as your children would automatically be classed as Irish citizens already. If she wasn't, there are a few more hoops to jump through.

I'd give the Irish passport office a call. 

I am going this route too as my father was possibly Canadian as he was a WW2 Canadian soldier so the German citizenship office want me to prove that I am not eligible for a Canadian citizenship before they will consider me for a german one. I have lived here full time now for the last 18 years.                                                                                                                                   Brexit - a big thank you for causing so much agro, I hope it kicks those exit voters back in their butts as Covid has changed totally the global market.

Rant over..

An architect I employ got hers last week. She had an Irish grandmother. Apparently it was very easy to do as all her family paperwork was neatly filed. She received her passport within 4 weeks of applying and loves the passport picture they used. Apparently they have “put a sexy filter on it”....

Edited by WalkedUp

On 23/09/2020 at 19:43, bavarianbrit said:

Brexit - a big thank you for causing so much agro, I hope it kicks those exit voters back in their butts as Covid has changed totally the global market.

Rant over..

So sorry to have caused you such aggravation, had I known it was going to cause such a fuss for you I'd have never voted to regain self determination and a parliamentary democracy.

1 hour ago, treetree said:

So sorry to have caused you such aggravation, had I known it was going to cause such a fuss for you I'd have never voted to regain self determination and a parliamentary democracy.

Yes. Vote Leave to take back control.

Gisela Stuart, Kate Hoey, Clare Fox, Frank Field who campaign for "Leave" to take back democratic control. Where are those four now? Oh yes...in the unelected House of Lords at £300 a day attendance allowance.

Zak Goldsmith MP another Leave campaigner? Or rather Zak Goldsmith ex-MP because TWICE the voters of the constituency in which he stood in a democratic election rejected him. Where's he now? Oh yes...in the unelected House of Lords at £300 a day attendance allowance. 

Funny that having campaigned against the EU as they claimed it was an unelected legislature that these five once offered the ermine couldn't wait to themselves get their snouts in the trough as members of a unelected legislature.

Take back control? An ex-friend who has lived in Leicester East (Keith Vaz's old Parliamentary seat) all his sixty years said the same that he was voting to "take back control". He got very unhappy when I told him that in the opinion of Johnson and Rees-Mogg and that ilk he'd be lucky to be even ranked by them as equal to something found on the bottom of their shoes.

And that the only control he'd ever been permitted in his life of being made serially redundant as the factories he worked in closed as that manufacturing transferred to Vietnam, India or China (in which in 1988 a British Government had confiscated his Ruger Mini-14 and then in 1996 his Brno CZ-75) and then finally had compulsory purchased his house to make a new road junction was the control over what lottery numbers he selected on a Wednesday and Saturday night. 

Take back control? Don't kid yourself. There may have been many valid reasons that the UK is better off outside the EU but "taking back control" isn't one of them and never was. Another three word piece of spin dreamed up to be used to achieve an end which was to advance the personal political career of the useless Johnson. 

Edited by enfieldspares

I'm eligible but have not applied yet due to not having the money to do it. I believe it is fairly simple, as long as you have all the paperwork in place. I have to get a copy of my grandfathers Irish birth certificate before I can start. Those who I've spoked to in Ireland about it, have been very helpful.

Interesting, I’ve only ever had an Irish passport. I have never found any benefit to it so far. Quite often it’s been a bit of a pain as I’ve been questioned and my passport scrutinised under a microscope while travelling. Guessing it’s because I don’t have the accent to go with the passport.

56 minutes ago, scouser said:

If you want a Irish passport, go and live in Ireland 

Ha ha. Mine will have the best of both worlds. British and Irish. It’s called playing the system. 

15 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Interesting, I’ve only ever had an Irish passport. I have never found any benefit to it so far. Quite often it’s been a bit of a pain as I’ve been questioned and my passport scrutinised under a microscope while travelling. Guessing it’s because I don’t have the accent to go with the passport.

I think that may change after Brexit becomes a reality. In the case of my children there will be no downside as they can pick and choose which passport to use and the ‘EU’ could have some benefits if things get ‘nasty’. 

1 hour ago, scouser said:

If you want a Irish passport, go and live in Ireland 

My irony klaxon just exploded.  Somebody with the username 'Scouser' telling people to go live in Ireland...Liverpool would be damn near empty if all those eligible went.

Brexit - a big thank you for causing so much agro, I hope it kicks those exit voters back in their butts as Covid has changed totally the global market.

Yes, and look how gloriously the EU has fallen apart as a result.  As soon as the brown stuff hits the bladed object, the member states totally ignored what was being dictated in Brussels and did entirely their own thing. This is why EU membership was incompatible with British culture, because we're British and follow the rules, to our own detriment.  Every other member state - and this very much includes Germany - implements the directives to suit them.

12 minutes ago, AVB said:

I think that may change after Brexit becomes a reality. In the case of my children there will be no downside as they can pick and choose which passport to use and the ‘EU’ could have some benefits if things get ‘nasty’. 

There is very much a downside to being a dual national.  Just try obtaining security clearance to work in defence for instance, or travelling to certain countries.  Mostly the benefits outweigh the disadvantages, but not 100% of the time. 

Let's not forget sooner or later the Irish Revenue is going to hit on the idea of raising some money out of the diaspora

Edited by udderlyoffroad
Edited to add tax liability

You do realise your not the centre of the universe don't you? 

Brexit - a big thank you for causing so much agro, I hope it kicks those exit voters back in their butts. 

I hope you get your citizenship and never return to this country.

Over the years I've seen many sacrifice everything for this country. I don't want people here who wish harm to the country and its people just because a vote didn't go their way.

Edited by toontastic

I am going this route too as my father was possibly Canadian as he was a WW2 Canadian soldier so the German citizenship office want me to prove that I am not eligible for a Canadian citizenship before they will consider me for a german one. I have lived here full time now for the last 18 years.                                                                                                                                   Brexit - a big thank you for causing so much agro, I hope it kicks those exit voters back in their butts as Covid has changed totally the global market.

Rant over..

can I ask what Pass port do you hold a the moment ?

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Saltings said:

you'll  have some Irish in ya you could have one 😁

If you trace it back most people have a bit of paddy in the background, myself included, but I was born ENGLISH, proud to be ENGLISH, and will stay ENGLISH. like I said in the OP, if you want a paddy passport go and live there.