Nosler reloads

snow white

When you say 'heads' I presume you mean 'bullets' ?

If they are lighter, then they will be shorter (Projectile Length) so to maintain the Cartrige Overall Length (COAL) you would likely reduce the seating depth however if these new bullets are soft point or hollow tips, flat base rather than boat tail, and you are measuring from the Ogive then then the measured length should be the same.

If they are lighter then this would possibly allow you to use a different Powder (faster burning for example) to get the best efficiency.

What Hornady bullets are you using and what is your current powder/load ? (information and terminology are key here)

Here is a link to the Nosler load data linky

Hi they are 20 grain projectiles they are not bullets till all components are put together then they are called rounds

I am using Hornady 20 grain projectiles set at 1.715 with ogive of 1.394.and hogdens 4198 11.2 grains

they are ballistic tipped

Edited by snow white

34 minutes ago, snow white said:

Hi they are 20 grain projectiles they are not bullets till all components are put together then they are called rounds

I am using Hornady 20 grain projectiles set at 1.715 with ogive of 1.394.and hogdens 4198 11.2 grains

A bullet is the projectile element of a cartridge. You can certainly call a cartridge a 'round' just as I can call a cartridge case a 'cylinder'. But do you know why it's called a round?

It stems from the military from two hundred years ago when the military used muzzle loaders. Ranks of soldiers did things together by the numbers. On command, the troops would fire. Then they would swab, they would load powder, wad and ball on command. They they would prime. Then on command, they would take aim and fire on command. The cycle was known as a round. In the modern era, a single cartridge packs all the elements of a round into a brass or steel case. Many names are rooted in history.

1 hour ago, snow white said:

:lol:

there are smaller in length than Hornady one

11 hours ago, snow white said:

No. I do hope that whoever taught you that isn't the same person that has been teaching you to reload .... A bullet is the projectile (and a component of firearm ammunition) that is expelled from a gun barrel shortly after the powder has deflagrated.

Bullet is a noun and described the thing, Projectile means "propelled forward" - an Arrow, a Rocket and a Bullet can be desribed as a projectile in that cirumstance..

You said "there are smaller in length than Hornady one" - can you post a picture of the two bullets side by side ?

Most of the load data I have looked at (this afternoon) seems to define a max COAL of 1.71. I see you have been loading for a while now, in March last year you said "I reloaded 17 hornet about 35p a round good saving " ( linky )  I also see you are having issues with your primers piercing in the 'Hole in primer' thread. Perhaps you should get these issues sorted out before you start changing components ?

I don't load for 17cal so can't really comment specifically but I would highly reccommend that should you change any component then you should work up a new load. Which I guess you will need to do soon anyway as your powder is Non-Reach (N, 2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)).

cartridge.png

Edited by miki

Hi not going to argue with you over a name.

The this is the size of the Hornady projectile o.a.l - 0.593 the ogive 0.285 

nosler .o.a.l- 0555 the ogive 0.267. 
Hornady full round is 1.715 that what comes from factory and the ogive is 1.394
I set mine with ogive as I have had different length heads from Hornady I think the polymer tip very a bit