MUZZLE LOADER

DUNKS

Thought yo guys might be interested.

Been after a muzzle loader for ages and my son just bought me this.

Seller thought it was Belgian but we think the proof marks are Birmingham from 1813 to 1835"

It's a 16 g  and although there are minor issues it appears to be in good condition. Even has original ramrod. the shield and two inlays on top of the receiver are gold which makes us believe it has a bit of quality. Weighs a tad over 6lb

Barrels are off to local gunsmith to be checked over and we will be off to Mr Kranks emporium for some percussion caps.

Name on sideplate is SHERWOOD which means nothing to us.

Any experts have comments I would love to hear them.

MUZZLE LOADER 009.JPG

MUZZLE LOADER 001.JPG

MUZZLE LOADER 003.JPG

MUZZLE LOADER 004.JPG

MUZZLE LOADER 007.JPG

MUZZLE LOADER 005.JPG

MUZZLE LOADER 006.JPG

MUZZLE LOADER 004.JPG

49 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Very nice it certainly has a look of quality about it 👍😊

look forward to hearing about your shooting with it 👍

Will certainly keep you in touch Big problem are the percussion caps. We need an expert to advise us which to use and as they cant be posted it's a long ride to get any.

10 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

They can be shipped to your rfd with your cartridge order 

Thanks for that no one has suggested it before.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

That looks nice.  Mine is here;

My godfather (who gave it to me) used to use it regularly.  Although in full working order, to date, I have not shot it.

JosephManton.JPG

John we will have to meet up at Lakeside, Simon does not mind us making noise and smoke. I can provide the caps and powder. For a "few shots!"

40 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Will certainly keep you in touch Big problem are the percussion caps. We need an expert to advise us which to use and as they cant be posted it's a long ride to get any.

Nice gun and looks English to me. Very similar to a 16 bore I have by Holding of Liverpool.

You might be surprised how many gunshops  have caps. Usually no 10 or 11 to fit. I get the magnum caps. Get the nipples off and give them a good scrub out, and get some meths down the barrel to clear out any old oil. If it all flows freely it should go bang when you use it.

not sure if you have had a bore light down it and hopefully a gunsmith will give it a clean bill of health. Let us know how you get on. Nothing quite like knocking birds down with these old guns.

55 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

John we will have to meet up at Lakeside, Simon does not mind us making noise and smoke. I can provide the caps and powder. For a "few shots!"

I have had it a number of years (more than 12 as my godfather died about 12 years ago).  It has been fully checked over by a gunsmith and pronounced fine and healthy, and he has offered to give me a lesson (he is a keen muzzle loader himself).  To date I have not yet followed through - there are a number of things to get/source for me, mainly;

• Black powder ticket/permit
  • Ramrod (the original exists, but is damaged), my godfather used a bamboo cane!
  • Caps, shot, powder, suitable containers, wads and cards.

Then there is the very demanding cleaning - my godfather used to boil out, and it was a VERY messy business.  He used a ping pong bat with a large hole to hold the barrels in a bucket whilst pouring boiling water down - then lots of 'pumping' up and down until water was clear (took several goes), then dried on an Aga, or the boiler until bone dry.  Then oiled.

My local ground does muzzle loader days occasionally and there are muzzle loading game shooting groups.

Maybe one day I will give it a go, currently it is on my license as a 'user', and kept clean etc.

Edited by JohnfromUK

What you have is a gun  retailed by a provincial gun maker   George Sherwood  Portsmouth  Hants  circa 1843- 1848 . There are several gun shops that still sell percussion caps which are Number 11,s but if your gun still has the original nipples then Number 11 will be too small , for loading go for a volume load of 2.1/2 drms  medium grade black powder  to 1 oz of shot  keep of  pydroex it is terrible stuff  it is very rusty especially in Damascus bores , loading sequel  powder 2 no 1/8 card wads m shot m 1/16 over shot card. Do not forget if you bought this gun has a antique  before you shoot it it must be entered on your  S.G.Certificat has a antique  that you are going to use

Feltwad

Thank you Mr Feltwad just what I needed. I did think from the proof marks that th gun was a bit older than that but the Sherwood is the clincher. The gun was sold to my son and is on his SGC. It will be transferred to mine!

I have phoned every gun shop within reasonable distance and cant find anyone who stocks the caps.

I have to go to Kranks as I am out of powder and shot so I will take their advice on caps. Perhaps go for a new pair of nipples, mine are a bit battered.

I only shoot genuine black and actually prefer Vesuvit. It seems a bit dirtier. More smoke and flame.

Thanks again.

John from UK you do go on so! 😀 If your gun is a twelve or a sixteen I can supply you with all you need for a go. Just give me time to get some caps.

When you pull the trigger, feel that soft push, hear the boom and see the smoke and flame you may just change your mind.

Unfortunately the boiling water for cleaning is still used and yes it's a bit of a pain. BUT WELL WORTH IT👍

Hi Dunks.

I noticed that your nipples look crisp and clean ..... so may have been replacements at some time past. The fences look to have some changes associated with use whereas the nipples look "new"..... so perhaps they will be the right size for the currently available size 11. 

Looks a nice gun, Enjoy.

8 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

John from UK you do go on so! 😀 If your gun is a twelve or a sixteen I can supply you with all you need for a go. Just give me time to get some caps.

When you pull the trigger, feel that soft push, hear the boom and see the smoke and flame you may just change your mind.

Unfortunately the boiling water for cleaning is still used and yes it's a bit of a pain. BUT WELL WORTH IT👍

Lol !

Its a 12.  Maybe one day.  With present circumstances I have only shot once since February this year.  I have seen it fired years ago, but not fired it.  I do use my (two) hammer guns from time to time, but they are both in nitro.

15 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Thank you Mr Feltwad just what I needed. I did think from the proof marks that th gun was a bit older than that but the Sherwood is the clincher. The gun was sold to my son and is on his SGC. It will be transferred to mine!

I have phoned every gun shop within reasonable distance and cant find anyone who stocks the caps.

I have to go to Kranks as I am out of powder and shot so I will take their advice on caps. Perhaps go for a new pair of nipples, mine are a bit battered.

I only shoot genuine black and actually prefer Vesuvit. It seems a bit dirtier. More smoke and flame.

Thanks again.

Vesuvit is  good powder  and for game and clays it is OK , Swiss is to expensive more for competition work with pistol and rifle if you need new nipples make sure you get the right thread size they will be 1/4 BSF or 9/32 BSF .Make sure the gun is entered on your SGC has a antique because if you wanted to  return it to its antique states you could have a problem from your local Constabulary. Why not join  your local muzzle loading branch they will be a help with  what you want  also you are with other muzzle  loaders . a gun club  is OK but most do not like muzzle loaders or black powder hammer guns on their grounds .

Feltwad

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2020 at 16:58, DUNKS said:

On 24/09/2020 at 17:43, Dave at kelton said:

Nice gun and looks English to me. Very similar to a 16 bore I have by Holding of Liverpool.

You might be surprised how many gunshops  have caps. Usually no 10 or 11 to fit. I get the magnum caps. Get the nipples off and give them a good scrub out, and get some meths down the barrel to clear out any old oil. If it all flows freely it should go bang when you use it.

not sure if you have had a bore light down it and hopefully a gunsmith will give it a clean bill of health. Let us know how you get on. Nothing quite like knocking birds down with these old guns.

No 11 caps by the look of it nice looking gun been looked after lovely browning on those barrels

there was a tool called a tap-o-cap that i bought direct from forster reloading in the states about 10 years ago you made no 11 caps out of beer cans

if you pm your details and  I.ll send you some empty ones and tell you how to do them to try they do work rather well in a shtf situation which it was designed for 

Edited by hafod