Sickness

Bigbob

Every time somebody is off sick the Manager gets a supervisor to call them and ask " How long are you going to be sick for ?" 

I always answer till im better 

But isnt this a form of bullying if your sick your sick till you phone up and state your well and will be back on such and such a date ? or produce a doctors line 

The managers a well known bully who gets the supervisors to do all his emails and phone calls so nothings got his name on it incase HR want another word with him . 

54 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Every time somebody is off sick the Manager gets a supervisor to call them and ask " How long are you going to be sick for ?" 

I always answer till im better 

But isnt this a form of bullying if your sick your sick till you phone up and state your well and will be back on such and such a date ? or produce a doctors line 

The managers a well known bully who gets the supervisors to do all his emails and phone calls so nothings got his name on it incase HR want another word with him . 

yup sick is sick but a reasonable person would give an ESTIMATED date of return and most firms expect this

Personally when I was working (retired now) it was normal for 'the office' to ring people off sick, either by their manager/supervisor, or the personnel people.  It was a call to see 'how you were', but inevitably also asked about return ........ and often included a 'don't try and come back until you feel well enough' type phrase.

It was generally appreciated, and was part of 'duty of care'.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Personally when I was working (retired now) it was normal for 'the office' to ring people off sick, either by their manager/supervisor, or the personnel people.  It was a call to see 'how you were', but inevitably also asked about return ........ and often included a 'don't try and come back until you feel well enough' type phrase.

It was generally appreciated, and was part of 'duty of care'.

Hello, I do not think it's the same kind of company as big bob works for, there are many parameters of bullying in the work place, and those who do this more so managers but I had a managing director, 

Root cause is usually a leadership issue.   Happy employees go to work half-dead, because being at work is way more fun/being part of a great team is way more fun than feeling miserable at home.

If you feel the need to be off sick but are still well enough to answer the phone then it's the wrong job!

Edited by Cosmicblue

3 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

Root cause is usually a leadership issue.   Happy employees go to work half-dead, because being at work is way more fun/being part of a great team is way more fun than feeling miserable at home.

If you feel the need to be off sick but are still well enough to answer the phone then it's the wrong job!

What a daft thing to say.  Plenty of reasonable cases to be unfit for work that wouldn't prevent you from answering the phone.

Not at all unreasonable for your employer to ask you how you are and how long you may be off if you have declared yourself unfit for work.  Also not unreasonale for a firm to ask you to advise on prgress daily if you are unfit for work, especially so if you are paid while absent through illness.

Duty of Care, and concerned that the staff that they pay to work for them are fit and well. 

Sounds like some folk would prefer if the company didnt give a monkeys about their staff. 

Next time your wanting more holiday ring in with work related stress, they should not ring you asking about your well being. 

10 hours ago, Dougy said:

Duty of Care, and concerned that the staff that they pay to work for them are fit and well. 

Sounds like some folk would prefer if the company didnt give a monkeys about their staff. 

Next time your wanting more holiday ring in with work related stress, they should not ring you asking about your well being. 

Hello, bullying in the work place leads to 1000s of hours off work across the uk, but I would not suggest it's the same as off work with flu and the company knowing how you are, 

On the vanishingly rare occasions I have been off sick (sent home after dragging myself in) I have sent daily updates in myself with estimates of likely return updated with every new bit of information. 

I have great colleagues who I enjoy working with though, and I know that if one of us is away it’s a nightmare for the others. 

In our firm you have to ring in every date with an update if its short term or a doctors note if its long term as these have cut off dates on them. As a manager its handy to get an idea when someone is likely to be back as you can plan work around the time they are off. Especially when I used to run a team of staff who worked on customers site as you then moved the work around to not let the customers down.

Also if someone has something seriously wrong with them then we can work to support them to get through it. One of my staff was off with a major cancer diagnosis I was regularly touching base with him to see what we could do to help him and his wife out during a really scary time.

I have always taken the view that I treat my people like I would like to be treated. When they are ill I work to support them but also there are systems in place to put pressure the urine takers who are off sick for no reason except its a Monday and Sunday night they had a skin full which is unfair to the rest of the team. 

12 hours ago, Gordon R said:

If they phone - they are bullying. If they don't phone - they don't care.

If an employer is paying you, I think they have a right to have some idea of how long they will be paying you, without you being in work.

Exactly, if employees feel thats bullying they need to get a grip, in my upbringing it was common courtesy to keep your employer informed of their expected return to work. Seems like thats not the case now, but then its difficult to ring when your off on your jollies. 

I work for a large independant Plant Hire company, not for much longer when I get my knife making off the ground....hopefully. Anyway at this company the drivers which inc me, are treated like utter dogs ****. Lowest paid, less anual holiday than other staff, yet we have the hardest job by a country mile. We get spoken to like we are 5 years old by management. The Boss calls us Dippies as he tars us with the same brush, not interested in some of the qualifications we have behind us but due to whatever circumstances we have ended up working here. Its safe to say our boss couldn't give a toss about us drivers, BUT phone in sick.......well everything changes. He will ring you everyday asking how you are when you expect to be back. Don't be fooled he wouldn't care if you dropped down dead as long as he gets his deliveries done. If your off sick then he has to put the releif driver out which he dosn't like doing as he likes him to do any emergency drops that come in during the day when all the other drivers already out there. If heis doing a full round then in my boss's eyes he is losing thousands in possible emergency drops.