Shooting grounds near Exeter

Townie

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/09/2020 at 14:45, claysandgame said:

Ashcombe is open from Wednesdays, but I dont know about loan guns unless you are having a lesson? Might be worth a call. Nice ground and lots of stands.

Otherwise I think you are probably heading up towards Ilfracombe to North Devon Shooting Ground (same deal on loan guns as above) or Southwest Shooting School.

Visited Ashcombe last Friday. Nice layout, natives were very friendly and the lady in the office was very nice. And there is a hire gun. The stands were very challenging and I didn't dare try their tower. My only criticism would be that I'd have welcomed a couple of easier stands not so much for me (honest) but the chap I went with shoots only occasionally and he hit very few, which is a bit off putting.

We also spent a joyful half hour in the Sportsman Gun Centre in Exeter and I wish I'd allowed more time for that. Loads of stuff and helpful staff.

Great afternoon out, but the traffic in Exeter on a Friday afternoon! I may as well have stayed in London.

1 hour ago, Townie said:

Visited Ashcombe last Friday. Nice layout, natives were very friendly and the lady in the office was very nice. And there is a hire gun. The stands were very challenging and I didn't dare try their tower. My only criticism would be that I'd have welcomed a couple of easier stands not so much for me (honest) but the chap I went with shoots only occasionally and he hit very few, which is a bit off putting.

We also spent a joyful half hour in the Sportsman Gun Centre in Exeter and I wish I'd allowed more time for that. Loads of stuff and helpful staff.

Great afternoon out, but the traffic in Exeter on a Friday afternoon! I may as well have stayed in London.

As a would be very occasional clay shooter I and a couple of mates do not go there for that very reason. I'm not criticising as it is a cracking site and the staff are both friendly and helpful and in all probability they supply what their regular proper clay shooters wish for. But turning up with ones' game gun, possibly SbS at that and expect to hit many of the targets which almost all seem to be going away is somewhat of a contradiction in terms. Pity it's such a long drive to Lakeside. :ninja:

2 hours ago, Townie said:

I've been twice but I tend to cherry pick the stands a bit and do a mix of things I know I can hit for a confidence boost and mix it in with stands I'm not so good at. It's always a school day on the range. @wymberley I'm also shooting an old sxs at the minute and it's definitely more challenging (but part of the fun)!

If you can face the drive, I'd really recommend North Devon for a nice round of targets and they regularly take beginners round there (it's all caddied by the owners currently). Alternatively if you find yourself down this way on a weekend, West Tapps (has a website) is on twice a month on a Sunday. You need your own gun (or share your friends) but's great fun and good for novices with a few harder targets mixed in (but you should be able to shoot 40-50% as a novice).

And Exeter rush hour traffic is definitely bad especially on a Friday afternoon!