brick oven and stuff

islandgun

A while ago i asked anyone if they had built or used a masonry oven, well i finally got round to make some progress on the the building and rough out the oven, Ive been fixing down the zinc today and once the building is wind and watertight i will start proper on the oven, my son [hes now at college] and I, cast the oven base in situ, on a block plinth, 

thumbnail (54).jpg

thumbnail (55).jpg

thumbnail (56).jpg

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

Looking forward to following progress of this build Steve. I love mine, but freely admit it came the lazy way and was bought not built.

Cheers Graham, Ive been looking forward to doing it for years..😉  and its been really good to get my son involved so thats a plus, i will post some pics on any progress

Edited by islandgun

48 minutes ago, stumpy69 said:

I built this during lockdown. Made with vermiculite cement mix, moulded around an exercise ball. Then has a layer of 50mm insulation and then rendered with a standard sand cement mix. Cooks pizza in less than a minute at full tilt and when it’s cooling have cooked bread. 

A69D3B14-B65E-47CD-870F-46444319D467.jpeg

How did you do the cement/vermiculite mix? Is it on a firebrick bed?

This is an itch i have to scratch 

On 29/09/2020 at 22:49, Fatcatsplat said:

How did you do the cement/vermiculite mix? Is it on a firebrick bed?

This is an itch i have to scratch 

To be honest I cant remember I think I used a 5:1 vermiculite to cement mix reinforced by chicken wire. I used a firebrick bed and also put a 50mm fire blanket for extra insulation before the external render. 

Before I started I watched plenty of videos on you tube and took what I thought was the best bits from each.

It makes a good addition to the UDS and Argentinian style grill.

Edited by stumpy69

Built mine using a 55 gallon drum lined with bricks. Pearlite and cement 5/1 mix as insulation around the outside of the drum and then rendered. Well worth doing. Have cooked pizzas in under a minute and also slow cooked a shoulder of lamb. Tandoori chicken is amazing in it. It retains heat for hours and hours. 

• 3 months later...

Im sorry it looks like I missed the above replies [ignorant **** that i am] .. thanks for the info and pics. Heres some of the work in progress. I made a three sided concrete "block flat" plinth/s, 1m high, then a reinforced 100mm concrete base which i laid in situ, on top of this I laid engineering bricks on edge on a thin bed of sand, then half bricks making a circle 1m diameter, the piece of wood guides each course until the angle becomes to severe to hold the brick in place. I have now formed a dome with rammed sand in the hope that i can lay the finishing bricks on that..

JKD  raised some legitimate questions about the suitability of the bricks, on the bread making thread started by fisheruk so would be very interested if others have an opinion before i have a re-think

oven1.JPG.672765017f168a33e1dc802592c21159.JPG

DSCN2811.JPG.35a4a8a97999e2542b121c5c32340b9d.JPG

DSCN2824.JPG.a4a80fca62838d2530aac16be099f475.JPG

2 hours ago, GingerCat said:

I think you've started so may as well finish. Even if the bricks cracked and such it will give a good 5 years use  easily. 

I put a 1/4 of a brick on my coal multi stove a few hours ago and it was glowing red, I cant see a wood fire getting it that hot so I'm happy, Glad you mentioned about the perlite not storing heat I was wondering about that and as storing heat is the point of a masonry oven perhaps i should apply a few inches of conventional mortar/concrete over the brick and under the perlite.

brick.jpg.1780e94b1c65accfe3e661db7b148bb9.jpg

My oven, as small as it is, gets to 1150.c easily. Turning the inside white. I thinks its the heating and then cooling that causes the damage. But I'm far from an expert. 

If you can add something between the bricks and then the pearlite that will get hot and stay hot for a while then I would.

That would enable you to fire the oven, cook whatever and then cook things like bread etc perhaps even the next day or day after. Or allow you to cook something through the night. I've read of a commercial oven in London that had 50 odd tons of thermal mass and required 3 months to cool for maintenance and very little fuel to maintain the temperature once going. 

The pearlite and vermiculite will simply not get hot and are really amazing at what they stop. We had pizza tonight and the outside of mine was just under 50.c despite the inside being over 900c and the fire being a good 1.5 hrs old. 

18 hours ago, islandgun said:

Im sorry it looks like I missed the above replies [ignorant **** that i am] .. thanks for the info and pics. Heres some of the work in progress. I made a three sided concrete "block flat" plinth/s, 1m high, then a reinforced 100mm concrete base which i laid in situ, on top of this I laid engineering bricks on edge on a thin bed of sand, then half bricks making a circle 1m diameter, the piece of wood guides each course until the angle becomes to severe to hold the brick in place. I have now formed a dome with rammed sand in the hope that i can lay the finishing bricks on that..

JKD  raised some legitimate questions about the suitability of the bricks, on the bread making thread started by fisheruk so would be very interested if others have an opinion before i have a re-think

oven1.JPG.672765017f168a33e1dc802592c21159.JPG

DSCN2811.JPG.35a4a8a97999e2542b121c5c32340b9d.JPG

DSCN2824.JPG.a4a80fca62838d2530aac16be099f475.JPG

Hi Islandgun, I'm only coming at this with direct advice as to materials and methods from being a bricklayer for 40 years 😯 and assessing and repairing fire damaged brickwork etc. I've never built this type of thing,,,, bbq's yes,,,, but always look on the practical side of things and would hate to see the effort you're going to, fail in any way 👍 So keep at it, and I for one am looking forward to the bread and pizzas etc that you bake in it 😊

• 1 month later...
On 29/09/2020 at 22:00, stumpy69 said:

I built this during lockdown. Made with vermiculite cement mix, moulded around an exercise ball. Then has a layer of 50mm insulation and then rendered with a standard sand cement mix. Cooks pizza in less than a minute at full tilt and when it’s cooling have cooked bread. 

A69D3B14-B65E-47CD-870F-46444319D467.jpeg

What did you use in the insulation layer may I ask? I like the exercise ball idea - I was planning to use sand but like that plan better.