Fac air

strimmer_13

Ive had a quick search and can't find the answer I'm looking for so I'll chuck it here. 

Regarding fac air, I'm putting in a variation soon, I want a .25, but one bit of land is only cleared for 22rf. Because the pellet is bigger, would it be cleared or would I have to go down the .22 route? I've heard (can't remember where) that it's size and not the ft/lb they look at. 

Atb 

.25 is an excellent calibre .

Its no magic pill .but it certainly out performs. 22 in my opinion. As far as .wind drift .group size at range and energy retention  is concerned and it certainly does a number on what ever it hits (as long as the shot placement is good ) 

I've tried a few different pellets and slugs and  now just stick to the jsb kings.

The give best accuracy .and have more than enough energy at any range you can hit stuff.(24 fpe at 100 yds ) .

Which is a what my .22 fac does at the muzzle .

I need a gun which is quiet, efficient and capable of decent accuracy at about 80 yards without going the rimfire route again. Plus it's a caliber I've no experience in, pretty much like 177, doubt in my life I've done 4 tins of those. Plus I'm bored of 22. 

I narrowed it down to a few guns, fx 500 royal or a mk3 wildcat sniper. Any suggestions welcome, it won't be for a few months yet, but I'll get one soon enough. Budget won't be more than a grand. Ish. So secondhand market should of changed / re stocked hopefully 

Mk3 wildcat. 

Have to admit .22 is my least fave cal .

.177 is first with .25 second .I know that doesn't sound like it makes a lot of sense .

But I like the safer element to 177  .and then with the .25 you have to be very careful  of fall out and ricochet .and backstops . But then the rewards are great for those long range shots..

In the photo above I was taking pige out to 70 yds across an open windy field .giving a bit of hold off .but shooting within 3 seconds  of the bird landing and aiming for upper chest area..

Ah but it's a reason to get a new toy! I've a 177 but never take it out, and these crows/jackdaws ain't as dumb as I usually expect. Some days it's 50 yards others if they are even on the farm they turn. My main concern is the safety element, making sure I've a decent backstop as in places it's a bit flat.

Atm I'm sourcing timber to make a ladder trap, I watched 300-400 switching between farms last weekend 

I doubt they'd put an air rifle on a closed ticket anyway, so what the land is cleared for wouldn't come into it. 

I was out over the weekend with a mate. He had an FAC air rifle and I had my 22LR. Only thing that came to mind was his gun was louder than mine, less powerful and 5 times as expensive. :yes:.

1 minute ago, walshie said:

I doubt they'd put an air rifle on a closed ticket anyway, so what the land is cleared for wouldn't come into it. 

I was out over the weekend with a mate. He had an FAC air rifle and I had my 22LR. Only thing that came to mind was his gun was louder than mine, less powerful and 5 times as expensive. :yes:.

That is the bit I dont like - the price. I usually buy cars for less... 

I'm now at a point where I'm trying to stop giving a dam about price, I've had a bit of a health scare lately, so **** it, I work 6 days a week I'm going to treat myself for the first time in years with out it being a tool of some sort. I was considering a zx10r but quite honestly I go fast enough of what I've got 😂

50 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Long range crows at 50yard plus will be my main quarry, along with rats ranging from 20-40 yards. That's the reasoning behind the fx as the adjustable power would come in handy 

Is the power adjustment simple as in the FX Verminator mk1 (3 power levels) ? 

1 minute ago, strimmer_13 said:

That is the bit I dont like - the price. I usually buy cars for less... 

I'm now at a point where I'm trying to stop giving a dam about price, I've had a bit of a health scare lately, so **** it, I work 6 days a week I'm going to treat myself for the first time in years with out it being a tool of some sort. I was considering a zx10r but quite honestly I go fast enough of what I've got 😂

Ridiculous prices aren't they? My mate's noisy feeble gun was the the thick end of £2k. I'd rather have a ZXR.

3 minutes ago, walshie said:

Ridiculous prices aren't they? My mate's noisy feeble gun was the the thick end of £2k. I'd rather have a ZXR.

The tight *** in me is saying don't do it, I could get a new Ms500i chainsaw and a new hedge cutter😭. I'll keep a eye out for secondhand bargains nearer the time, or just spunk the lot on a airgun that will devalue by half the moment I hand the cash over the counter. 

First world problems 😎

The hammer spring adjustment dail at the rear of the gun would give ( educated guess)  from say 45 fpe max down to 35 fpe min .depending on the reg pressure .

The dial is really a fine tuner to get the ideal fps for the pellet to achieve best accuracy .Once found its best left alone .

Its not a transfer  port adjuster (restricter) 

That will alter the muzzle energy by large amounts..

my mate has an impact with all the adjustments you could ever wish for  

He has come to the conclusion  that its not possible to have repeatable accuracy  on more than one setting .

Even going back to your ideal setting from a different one .Will cause issues like zero shift  and group size changes .

Its a find the best setting and leave it alone ad hope it doesn't shift by its self .

type of gun .

Edited by Ultrastu

56 minutes ago, walshie said:

But he can shoot in tress , you wouldn’t do that with .22lr