Tyre Pressure Sensors

clumber

I've got a spare set of wheels for the OH's car, for winter tyres, an they came without any TPMS valves. Kia wanted a fortune for 4 and that's not happening. 

Has anyone replaced the TPMS for aftermarket ones? Can you reccomend a supplier of these sensors? Would normal valves work or are the rim fittings different? 

Clumber. 

I had a similar issue with my Jimny,,different wheels with no sensors and so I was told,, no MOT. After faffing around with various ways of bypassing the sensors I simply bought a set of pattern ones off the bay of evil. Aprox £40,00 and fitted/calibrated for another £40.00.  Works fine now though if I lower the pressures for serious off roading the light comes back on but resets when re-inflated to the manufactures setting. 

item No. 

On 26/09/2020 at 19:28, clumber said:

Was told to inflate tyres to 36psi, take it for a run and it'll clear.  Did that, still on!

Surely, if there aren’t any sensors then how on earth could changing the tyre pressures create a reset...... or do you mean with the original wheels back on after the TPMS light has illuminated? 

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Surely, if there aren’t any sensors then how on earth could changing the tyre pressures create a reset......

.... unless the vehicle uses an indirect warning system, checking wheel rotation speed rather than actual tyre pressure.   This is from Duster manual:

The Dacia Duster tyre pressure monitoring system notifies the driver if one or more tyres loses pressure. Your Dacia Duster will have one of a possible two tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) types:

TPMS type A can be determined by the presence of a sticker located on the inside of the driver door. This is called an ‘indirect’ tyre pressure monitoring system that uses the anti-lock braking system (ABS) to measure wheel speed that in turn, determines a loss of pressure.

TPMS type B can be determined by a sticker located within the vehicle (not inside the driver door). This type of TPMS system is ‘direct’ and uses dedicated pressure sensor located inside each of the vehicle’s tyres.

13 hours ago, McSpredder said:

.... unless the vehicle uses an indirect warning system, checking wheel rotation speed rather than actual tyre pressure.   This is from Duster manual:

The Dacia Duster tyre pressure monitoring system notifies the driver if one or more tyres loses pressure. Your Dacia Duster will have one of a possible two tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) types:

TPMS type A can be determined by the presence of a sticker located on the inside of the driver door. This is called an ‘indirect’ tyre pressure monitoring system that uses the anti-lock braking system (ABS) to measure wheel speed that in turn, determines a loss of pressure.

TPMS type B can be determined by a sticker located within the vehicle (not inside the driver door). This type of TPMS system is ‘direct’ and uses dedicated pressure sensor located inside each of the vehicle’s tyres.

Bit surely he can’t have a type ‘A’ as he mentions the need for tpms sensors 

I’m not aware the vehicles have both systems? 

On 30/09/2020 at 06:48, Jaymo said:

Surely, if there aren’t any sensors then how on earth could changing the tyre pressures create a reset...... or do you mean with the original wheels back on after the TPMS light has illuminated? 

Mcspredder, the wheels take yout type B sensor.

The warning light is on with the original wheels and tyres. Apparently over pressuring the tyres from the recommended running pressure clears the warning.

The second set of wheels came without the sensors fitted to the rims so I'm having to buy a set. Kia wanted over £500 for four! 

I'm wanting four sensors for the second set of wheels, that don't cost a fortune.