Well that went badly.

fatchap

Ever had a brilliant idea, planned it to perfection, executed it and it goes totally tits up?

Today amongst other projects I have been making a container for my propane bottle, wife wants it outside the shed, not a problem, so in keeping with the rustic style of the garden I purchase a oak whisky barrel. Thinking that will be an ideal home for the gas bottle, place it close to the shed, bore a hole in the side and through the shed, feed the pipe from the forge through the holes and connect to the bottle simple. 

My first plan was to cut the top off the barrel and hinge it but after a bit of thought that would have been a catastrophic error as there was a chance the wood may splay out as I would have to cut below the top metal ring. So disregarded that idea. So turned my attention to just cutting around the top, inside the lip so to speak. I would cut it out so I included a " lug" that I would attach a hinge to and then attach the lid to the hinge, obviously would have to put a couple of stops inside because the lid would just fall through. Great plan, have a coffee and a rollie and then crack on.

I drilled four holes in the top to facilitate the jigsaw blade and started to cut.......

It didn't go well. in fact the more I look at the abortion of a job I made of it, the more I want to buy another barrel and start again. I have no excuses I proper ****** it up! Epically!!! 

No pictures I am too embarrased. How can I have made such a cock up of a relatively simple job? 

Can't blame the jigsaw, I wasn't rushing. it just went to pot.

Maybe just having a bad day.

And again no pictures I will never hear the end of it.

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Pictures would help us to understand.

Honestly you will rip me to bits if I put pictures on here. imagine the barrel with its top removed by a blunt axe.

I think tomorrow I'm going to turn it upside down and see if I can make a better job of the other end. 

Edited by fatchap

23 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Honestly you will rip me to bits if I put pictures on here. imagine the barrel with its top removed by a blunt axe.

I think tomorrow I'm going to turn it upside down and see if I can make a better job of the other end. 

Practice, practice, practice!

How many barrels do you have?

4 minutes ago, Konnie said:

I Get the idea, so what went wrong with the jig saw, did it keep snagging on the side so you didn't get a smooth cut(circle)

Couldn't keep a smooth cut, I think in hindsight I should have kept going in one direction, but I went about half way round and then cut in the oposite direction and for some reason the cuts never met up, I followed the lip with the jigsaw plate up against it but when I got to the end of the first cut from the other direction I was inch and half at least out. No idea why that happened, the cuts should have married up. And now it looks total ****.

4 minutes ago, Konnie said:

The front and the heel of the jigsaw would need to be in contact with the inside rim to keep constant i would think, but possibly you did it this way?

How about a router.

Thats my plan for tomorrow, turn the barrel upside down, work out the center of the lid and screw a screw into the middle, then some string attached to the router and use the string for my circle rather than the rim. If that don't work, Buy another barrel and try again.

1 hour ago, Flyboy1950 said:

As has been pointed out, why not just turn the barrel upside down allowing any gas escape to do just that. Fix a few legs on the bottom of the barrel to even up its level. Just need to drop the barrel over the gas cylinder. Easy to just extend the length of the gas pipe into the forge

Now thats an idea!! bloody good idea, like it!! a couple of handles on the side to aid lifting, barrel has a bit of weight to it. And jobs a goodun! 

Cheers for that.

:yahoo:👍

Edited by fatchap

Can you make a trammel bar for the jig saw, or use the piece of string.  Although the router will give a very nice edge on your lid it will also remove a fair bit of waste in the kerf.  If you followed the same principle with the jigsaw, but cant the blade over to 30' or so (away from the centre) then the lid cant fall back through.

Or, of course, just turn it upside down as Flyboy said.

Everyone has those moments where they make the apparently simple way more difficult than reason would suggest, i suspect that you get it right way more often than you get it wrong.

Im maybe misunderstanding what you are trying to do but unsure if it will work. Each part of the lid is only held together by dowels so when you cut through them the putside parts will fall in.

I would recommend drilling and screwing each stave into the top two hoops then use the jigsaw to follow the top line of the second hoop, you can put a hinge at the back and it will look nice and neat.