Cyclist

The Heron

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the days when the police would stop you for riding on the pavement and for having no lights make you get off an do push it.

My wife an do I hav had the timing bells behind us on the pavement, where they expect us to go with two dogs is beyond me.

Ride on the road or don't ride at all.

The jogging clubs are no better, shouting excuse me as they think running in a mob talking gives them right of way, covid has stopped them this year.

Edited by figgy

Don't get me started on cyclists, especially in London. Some are ok, others either have a death wish or think they are above the law or indestructible.

You have the cycle lanes in London, that cost the tax payer millions, a majority of the cyclist use them others however don't. Why if seen by the police these errant cyclists using the road where a cycle lane is in place are not nicked I don't know. Get caught in a bus lane in a car its £100 fine. I know its difficult to enforce as they obviously have no Reg No but if the police see the cyclist in the wrong, stop them ask them for ID and then frog march them to the nearest cash point to pay the fine for the offence they have just committed. Or if the cyclist is seen running a red light or failing to stop at a crossing which is a regular occurrence in London. Pull them over get their name and address obviously get some ID off them and if it transpires they have a car license then 3 points on it like you would get if caught in a car, If they have no car or license then again frog march them to the nearest cash point to pay the fine or send it to them.

I know the Mayor is tryin his best to cut down pollution and getting everyone on bikes or go electric but they need to get tougher on the few cyclist up there that think because I ride a bike I'm above the law. Also those electric scooters, you need a license but say you have hired it and you get away with it. I saw a woman on one the other day coming down the cycle lane at Tower Hill onto Lower Thames Street. wearing no helmet, no protective knee pads, she had a tight fitting T-shirt on and shorts first thing I thought was she Isn't bad as you do, then noticed how fast she was going, now she was motoring down that hill on a scooter, and I thought get a wobble and come off by the time the tarmac had finished with her bare skin she would be down to the bone. Stupidity at its best.

6 hours ago, figgy said:

The jogging clubs are no better, shouting excuse me as they think running in a mob talking gives them right of way, covid has stopped them this year.

A few years ago on a promenade 3 miles long by some 8 metres wide I was walking with my wife, children and dogs. Wife was pushing the pram I was carrying my tired son and dogs were to heel. We were tight together and next to the railings above the beach. A jogger came straight towards us and shouted “stand aside” despite us maintaining a constant bearing and there being 5-6m of free space to the side of us. We did not stand aside so he tried to run straight into us. My wife took the child from my arms as she knew what the only result could be 🙈 Coward sprinted away when it got too hairy for him. I had a similar thing with two lads cycling from behind us on a footpath, one tried to kick my dog that “got in the way” I legged it and caught up with them and stopped the rear cyclist. I explained it was not a bridle way, he apologised. 

I think a lot of fitness freaks have a narcissistic tendency. When I’m out running in the morning I will always go around people as the majority are walkers yes it is a pain to your rhythm but it just seems right. 

I seem too remember one of those police camera action programs where they caught a bloke riding on the path who and jumping a red light, which he denied.

From what I remember he ended up in court and the judge said something along the lines of being sick of 'lycra louts' flouting the law and gave him a massive fine 😂

If the started fining when they catch people doing it, along with those that drive with their fog lights on when it's not foggy, the police coffers would be bulging.

@fatchap I make you spot on.

I walk up from Vic to Baker St everyday. You never know if they're going to stop at pedestrian crossings, most don't, cycle up behind on the pavement and the highway code doesn't apply because they're vegan. Did I mention I have the Patterdale with me? I'm trying to teach her not to chase bikes but they don't help themselves. 

And let's not get started on electric scooters 😤🤬

I was driving in London the other week (Upper Thames Street) and there is one particular junction (with Queen Street opposite Southwark Bridge) that has a dedicated cycle Lane and cyclist red lights. As I was waiting in the traffic jam a cyclist jumped the red light only to T-Bone another cyclist. It looked horrendous but both cyclists got up and ranted at each other. I did have a bit of a giggle. 

As part of my hgv cpc and the firm I work for trying to gain FORS silver I have the pleasure of a seven hour course on cyclist awareness in the first weeks of October. Part of which is a 3.5hr bike ride around the local area. The last batch to go through it were taken out by a charming young lady who had no experience in an hgv. When this was brought up her response was "nearly every cyclist you encounter will have no experience of an hgv. They are ignorant to the amount of space and time required to manoeuvre hgvs so by following me you will have a better understanding of the cyclists behaviour and be better prepared to pre-empt their actions"..... 

It was made clear that the hgv will always be deemed at fault in an accident as we are "professional drivers" and as such should be aware that a cyclist is an unknown, unpredictable hazard and therefore must give them priority/rights in traffic as they will always come off worse in a collision. Basically this awards them carte blanche against the hgv to behave how they please knowing the hgv must always give way. 

To drive this home. A good friend from a local firm stopped his wagon and used it as a safety barrier at the scene of an accident between a cyclist and car on one of our nastier local road junctions, as he was attending to the casualty the services turned up, paramedics took over so he wandered over to the police to give a statement and was immediately put under police caution and dumped In the patrol car. With no other witnesses to back him up as innocent in the collision and the fact that he had arrived after the event and only stopped to make the road safe and provide first aid the police had immediately assumed that the hgv must be involved and refused to allow him to leave the scene. If it hadn't been for the car driver coming round and explaining what had really happened then he would have ended up in custody. We are no longer innocent until proven guilty. Our compliance barrister has now advised that should we be unfortunate enough to have an altercation that our best course of action is to give only our name and details to the police and remain silent at the roadside until legal help is present. 

I could go on and on but I feel like I'm preaching to the choir.

8 minutes ago, oneshot1979 said:

As part of my hgv cpc and the firm I work for trying to gain FORS silver I have the pleasure of a seven hour course on cyclist awareness in the first weeks of October. Part of which is a 3.5hr bike ride around the local area. The last batch to go through it were taken out by a charming young lady who had no experience in an hgv. When this was brought up her response was "nearly every cyclist you encounter will have no experience of an hgv. They are ignorant to the amount of space and time required to manoeuvre hgvs so by following me you will have a better understanding of the cyclists behaviour and be better prepared to pre-empt their actions"..... 

It was made clear that the hgv will always be deemed at fault in an accident as we are "professional drivers" and as such should be aware that a cyclist is an unknown, unpredictable hazard and therefore must give them priority/rights in traffic as they will always come off worse in a collision. Basically this awards them carte blanche against the hgv to behave how they please knowing the hgv must always give way. 

To drive this home. A good friend from a local firm stopped his wagon and used it as a safety barrier at the scene of an accident between a cyclist and car on one of our nastier local road junctions, as he was attending to the casualty the services turned up, paramedics took over so he wandered over to the police to give a statement and was immediately put under police caution and dumped In the patrol car. With no other witnesses to back him up as innocent in the collision and the fact that he had arrived after the event and only stopped to make the road safe and provide first aid the police had immediately assumed that the hgv must be involved and refused to allow him to leave the scene. If it hadn't been for the car driver coming round and explaining what had really happened then he would have ended up in custody. We are no longer innocent until proven guilty. Our compliance barrister has now advised that should we be unfortunate enough to have an altercation that our best course of action is to give only our name and details to the police and remain silent at the roadside until legal help is present. 

I could go on and on but I feel like I'm preaching to the choir.

Wow! They are a bane on our local roads, some of which are single tracked highways. There is the A686 over Hartside which is insanely popular with cyclists and bikers, and young lads who like to get ‘ the back end out ’ on the many bends. It is also on the popular Coast to Coast route. 
There is a single track bridge outside a local village, with signs at both ends staying cyclists should dismount and use the pedestrian footpath. Most do but groups of blokes take great pleasure in creeping up to the front of the lights and totally ignoring the dismount signs.
I’ve experienced them laughing and cheering as they deliberately take the road bridge and holding up motorised traffic. It is only the thought of losing my tickets which has prevented me from taking matters into my own hands. 
I would love to know how these people respond to cyclists when they’re in THEIR vehicles. 🤷‍♂️

I had to do that bike ride for FORS all around Mayfair in London, And to be honest I **** myself. Have you seen the size of a bus wheel up close and personal? or a lorry. Got told by the instructor to "Boss" the road. Tipper lorries and Busses "Boss" the road as a cyclist I think you should do as your told.

That was one scary day up there and it left me wondering why cyclists act the way they do. In the few hours I was on that bike, my life past by eyes more than once. The fact is no matter what precautions are put in place unless there are more laws governing cyclists such as times and tougher punishment for breaking laws then sadly an end to cyclists losing their lives in London is a long way off.

But I must say cyclist are not the worst thing about driving in London Adison Lee couriers claim that title all day long. First thing they do when they get a new van is have the indicators disconnected. They drive up there like they have stole it, Stop where ever they like as close to the delivery as possible red routes, bus lanes, bus stops, if they could they would get the van in the buildings reception with no regard for anyone on the pavement. Then when the delivery is done they pull out in front of you with thier right arm out the window with mid finger pointing up wards before you have even hit the horn. And as for no entry and one way streets, I don't think Adison Lee drivers have the faintest idea or even care what they are.

Top 5 pain in the Aris London Road Users.

1 Adison Lee....As above

2 Cyclists.....As above

3 Uber cabs....haven't got a clue how to drive in London

4 Black Cabbies..... (still think they own London)

5 Knights of the Road Lorry drivers.... Park where they like, preferably on a bend, ask them how long they are going to be as they are blocking the road and get told 5 minutes, 20 minutes later your still sitting there.

Edited by fatchap

33 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I had to do that bike ride for FORS all around Mayfair in London, And to be honest I **** myself. Have you seen the size of a bus wheel up close and personal? or a lorry. Got told by the instructor to "Boss" the road. Tipper lorries and Busses "Boss" the road as a cyclist I think you should do as your told.

That was one scary day up there and it left me wondering why cyclists act the way they do. In the few hours I was on that bike, my life past by eyes more than once. The fact is no matter what precautions are put in place unless there are more laws governing cyclists such as times and tougher punishment for breaking laws then sadly and end to cyclists losing their lives in London is a long way off.

But I must say cyclist are not the worst thing about driving in London Adison Lee couriers claim that title all day long. First thing they do when they get a new van is have the indicators disconnected. They drive up there like they have stole it, Stop where ever they like as close to the delivery as possible red routes, bus lanes, bus stops, if they could they would get the van in the buildings reception with no regard for anyone on the pavement. Then when the delivery is done they pull out in front of you with thier right arm out the window with mid finger pointing up wards before you have even hit the horn.

We get quite a few here attracted by the tourist board blurb of single track roads with grass growing down the middle, many of them appear to be about 80 yrs old, its sad to see the look of anguish on their faces when faced with yet another hill climb in bottom gear against storm force winds or worse 8 billion midges, Ive stopped for a few and bundled them and their bikes in the back of my pickup and offered to take them to a warm BB... now a bike holiday in rural France cycling from one hotel/restuarant/bar to another does appeal...😉

4 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

A few years ago on a promenade 3 miles long by some 8 metres wide I was walking with my wife, children and dogs. Wife was pushing the pram I was carrying my tired son and dogs were to heel. We were tight together and next to the railings above the beach. A jogger came straight towards us and shouted “stand aside” despite us maintaining a constant bearing and there being 5-6m of free space to the side of us. We did not stand aside so he tried to run straight into us. My wife took the child from my arms as she knew what the only result could be 🙈 Coward sprinted away when it got too hairy for him. I had a similar thing with two lads cycling from behind us on a footpath, one tried to kick my dog that “got in the way” I legged it and caught up with them and stopped the rear cyclist. I explained it was not a bridle way, he apologised. 

I think a lot of fitness freaks have a narcissistic tendency. When I’m out running in the morning I will always go around people as the majority are walkers yes it is a pain to your rhythm but it just seems right. 

I’m with you 100% all the way on this one. You won’t see me jumping out of the way for cycle bells or joggers. With cyclists I find a thumb stick through the front wheel very effective.

3 hours ago, Scully said:

There is a single track bridge outside a local village, with signs at both ends staying cyclists should dismount and use the pedestrian footpath.🤷‍♂️

Nearly all cyclists dismount signs are advisory only and not legally enforceable, cyclists can follow the signs or not at their discretion.

1 minute ago, Stonepark said:

Nearly all cyclists dismount signs are advisory only and not legally enforceable, cyclists can follow the signs or not at their discretion.

Fair enough, but it won’t be me who comes off worse, which is why I sometimes wonder why they take the risks they do? 

Just now, Yellow Bear said:

You mean like they treat those that are legally enforceable?🤣

😂👍

21 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

What a bunch of miserable **** 😂😂😂

Yes, and I will continue to be a miserable **** whilst I encounter at least a couple of times a week cyclepaths 

- riding at speed down narrow cross country FOOT paths

- Riding down hill, at high speed, on narrow roads, round blind bends, sometimes 2/3 abreast

- Riding up hill slowly on narrow roads, round blind bends, in a phalanx over both sides (saw one "accident" during summer where 2 ploughed into 3)

- riding anywhere at speed in excess of the braking potential of their machine

Edited by Yellow Bear