Cyclist

The Heron

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Yes, and I will continue to be a miserable **** whilst I encounter at least a couple of times a week cyclepaths 

- riding at speed down narrow cross country FOOT paths

- Riding down hill, at high speed, on narrow roads, round blind bends, sometimes 2/3 abreast

- Riding up hill slowly on narrow roads, round blind bends, in a phalanx over both sides (saw one "accident" during summer where 2 ploughed into 3)

- riding anywhere at speed in excess of the braking potential of their machine

Its okay, once we hit a certain age I think we're allowed to be 😉😂

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Fair enough, but it won’t be me who comes off worse, which is why I sometimes wonder why they take the risks they do? 

😂👍

I don't understand that bit myself, while the law might be on their side should they for example come into contact with an HGV, should they end up under the wheels I don't think the law will offer much protection.

15 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I don't understand that bit myself, while the law might be on their side should they for example come into contact with an HGV, should they end up under the wheels I don't think the law will offer much protection.

I agree but unfortunately it is always the nasty, inconsiderate hgv driver/motorist/pedestrian that is at fault in these cases as far as the two wheelers are concerned.  

12 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I agree but unfortunately it is always the nasty, inconsiderate hgv driver/motorist/pedestrian that is at fault in these cases as far as the two wheelers are concerned.  

Sorry that's what I was trying to say, if you end up as strawberry jam under an HGV it doesn't matter who's to blame once you dead. 

16 hours ago, figgy said:

I remember the days when the police would stop you for riding on the pavement and for having no lights make you get off an do push it.

My wife an do I hav had the timing bells behind us on the pavement, where they expect us to go with two dogs is beyond me.

Ride on the road or don't ride at all.

The jogging clubs are no better, shouting excuse me as they think running in a mob talking gives them right of way, covid has stopped them this year.

I got nicked as a 15 year old for no lights just finished my morning paper round 20 yards from home and I got pulled ,up in court  fined £5 which was a lot of money for a snotty nosed kid in 1980 

7 minutes ago, sam triple said:

I got nicked as a 15 year old for no lights just finished my morning paper round 20 yards from home and I got pulled ,up in court  fined £5 which was a lot of money for a snotty nosed kid in 1980 

Probably getting on for a week's wages.  It's a pity they don't apply the same logic now when they catch one without lights.

I was stuck behind a cyclist heading to the shoot this morning. Heading down a section of decent hills he was in the middle of a single track road. I would not have minded at all except he was not bothering to either peddle or take an aerodynamic posture, as an occasional cyclist that lost opportunity vexed me. 

I kid you not! Have just returned from an evenings walk and it was dark enough to need lights by the time I got back, but just as I was turning into the yard I was startled by a cyclist in the middle of the road, coming towards me with no lights on! I swerved left and he right, but no sooner had he passed me than I heard a crash , and in turning round saw him picking himself up out of the roadside! 😂😂

I asked him if he was ok, and he said he was. He didn’t sound convincing though and was hopping about a bit, and didn’t try to get back on his bike, and when I offered to get him a torch from the house, he told me he lived in the next village and would be ok. 
I was pleased to get away actually as I was finding it harder and harder not to laugh. Unbelievable coincidence given the thread just started today! 

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

I kid you not! Have just returned from an evenings walk and it was dark enough to need lights by the time I got back, but just as I was turning into the yard I was startled by a cyclist in the middle of the road, coming towards me with no lights on! I swerved left and he right, but no sooner had he passed me than I heard a crash , and in turning round saw him picking himself up out of the roadside! 😂😂

I asked him if he was ok, and he said he was. He didn’t sound convincing though and was hopping about a bit, and didn’t try to get back on his bike, and when I offered to get him a torch from the house, he told me he lived in the next village and would be ok. 
I was pleased to get away actually as I was finding it harder and harder not to laugh. Unbelievable coincidence given the thread just started today! 

That's mental 😂

12 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Push bikes have got to be one of the most environmentally damaging modes of transport going.

Yes, you have the one holier than thou on he's push bike saving the planet, then the dozen cars behind him that rather than crusing along in top gear are crawling in first at higher revs because they can't pass. 

At least they are not ****ting in the road outside your house

3 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Having problems with the ladies jogging club again eh pal? 

My brother got run down one night by a cyclist with no lights when walking home from a country pub. He went down hard on a new £350.00+ crash helmet he was carrying wrecking it. Was not happy!  Tried to run after and catch the cyclist who got back on his bike and sped off.           NB