Cyclist

The Heron

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, arjimlad said:

Full house on the cycling hating bingo methinks..

Although thankfully no-one seems to have mentioned "road tax" yet ?

I cycle 3,000 + miles p/a, mainly commuting on country lanes.

Since Nov 2018 I have managed to film and report 145 drivers to the rozzers who have agreed that their driving fell below the required standard, made contact with them and warned or prosecuted them.

How many rules do you break chasing up after them to give them a stern talking to? Wouldn't you just be better reporting them to the police, as you do anyways, and letting the professionals explain the errors of their ways? You're not going to do cyclists any favours by holding up traffic so you can tell off a stranger

1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

How many rules do you break chasing up after them to give them a stern talking to? Wouldn't you just be better reporting them to the police, as you do anyways, and letting the professionals explain the errors of their ways? You're not going to do cyclists any favours by holding up traffic so you can tell off a stranger

Was thinking the same thing.

Road rage is still road rage, whether in a motor vehicle or on a bicycle.

But it seems, it's just another law that some cyclists feel doesn't apply to them!

Edited by Newbie to this

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Was thinking the same thing.

Road rage is still road rage, whether in a motor vehicle or on a bicycle.

But it seems, it's just another law that some cyclists feel doesn't apply to them!

I wonder what the statistics are for someone being killed or seriously hurt in a road rage incident? 150 potential road rage incidents and counting! I would say the odds are not in his favour.

1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

I rarely bother speaking with dangerous drivers, unless they're stopped in traffic ahead & the opportunity arises.  As you say I just let the police contact them. If I do catch up & decide to have a word, I don't rage, I start politely & if the politeness is not reciprocated I end the conversation. Simple. 

In this instance, however, the proximity of the HGV warranted immediate intervention. How would I have felt saying nothing and the next cyclist up the road getting squashed?  

22 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

I rarely bother speaking with dangerous drivers, unless they're stopped in traffic ahead & the opportunity arises.  As you say I just let the police contact them. If I do catch up & decide to have a word, I don't rage, I start politely & if the politeness is not reciprocated I end the conversation. Simple. 

In this instance, however, the proximity of the HGV warranted immediate intervention. How would I have felt saying nothing and the next cyclist up the road getting squashed?  

So how do we report a cyclist as you would report a motorist? 
The young lady riding her horse and being passed on both sides by laughing cyclists for instance, how does she report them to the police? 

49 minutes ago, Scully said:

So how do we report a cyclist as you would report a motorist? 
The young lady riding her horse and being passed on both sides by laughing cyclists for instance, how does she report them to the police? 

That idiot was identifed by the event organiser, and banned from organised rides for life. He was also fined in court & had to pay over £900. His riding was widely condemned by cycling organisations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-47009149 

You're quite right of course, bikes aren't registered. 

The government has said the following on that point : - 

IMG_20190823_173723 (1).jpg

Significantly, the Met managed to penalise over 30,000 cyclists between 2012 & 2016 so it does happen.. 

cyclists penalties.jpg

Edited by arjimlad
add details

41 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

That idiot was identifed by the event organiser, and banned from organised rides for life. He was also fined in court & had to pay over £900. His riding was widely condemned by cycling organisations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-47009149 

You're quite right of course, bikes aren't registered. 

The government has said the following on that point : - 

IMG_20190823_173723 (1).jpg

Significantly, the Met managed to penalise over 30,000 cyclists between 2012 & 2016 so it does happen.. 

cyclists penalties.jpg

Fair enough. Im pleased he was punished. 
So how do I identify a cyclist if I want to report them? 

Just now, Scully said:

Fair enough. Im pleased he was punished. 
So how do I identify a cyclist if I want to report them? 

Obviously Scully, as you are aware,  it's not as "straightfoward" to identify the registered keeper of a bike.  I say that in inverted commas because of a recent incident where an unregistered/untaxed/no MOT Transit pickup driver crossed the white line and drove at me, without provocation, as I cycled home from work along a lovely wide road. The sort who enjoy illegal coursing and similar, I reckon. Left me a metre of road at over 40mph. It was terrifying but the police won't be able to trace the driver. 

Identifying the sort of twit on a bike who jumps on/off the pavement, no lights, no consideration for others is not easy.  The sorts which have been complained about earlier in this thread. People report dangerous riders along the Bristol to Bath path to the police & they "increase patrols" here & there. Hotspots for red light jumping are observed & infringers are fined. 

There are reckless idiots in cars, on bikes, on foot... whatever the mode of transport.

I see a parallel here with firearms licensing - the more power/propensity for harm, the more regulation. A mishandled cycle is far less likely to cause serious injury than a mishandled motor vehicle. 

I used to ride a bike for a bit of fitness - nothing major - 10 miles or so a few times a week. One route was to go down towards Wrexham as it is reasonably flat. After the next village down it opened up into a very narrow dual carriageway section. On this one day I was peddling down - by myself - keeping to the left as much as possible taking into account sunken grids - and I heard a noise behind and I glanced back to see 2 cars racing down side by side bearing down on me. I had to throw myself onto the pavement because they were just about on top of me (feet were clipped into the pedals) and there was no space to be three wide.

I have hardly rode my bike since - and my waistline has suffered for it.

I always give bikes, horses etc a very wide berth and wait until it is perfectly safe to go past them - even before this incident.

17 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

Obviously Scully, as you are aware,  it's not as "straightfoward" to identify the registered keeper of a bike.  I say that in inverted commas because of a recent incident where an unregistered/untaxed/no MOT Transit pickup driver crossed the white line and drove at me, without provocation, as I cycled home from work along a lovely wide road. The sort who enjoy illegal coursing and similar, I reckon. Left me a metre of road at over 40mph. It was terrifying but the police won't be able to trace the driver. 

Identifying the sort of twit on a bike who jumps on/off the pavement, no lights, no consideration for others is not easy.  The sorts which have been complained about earlier in this thread. People report dangerous riders along the Bristol to Bath path to the police & they "increase patrols" here & there. Hotspots for red light jumping are observed & infringers are fined. 

There are reckless idiots in cars, on bikes, on foot... whatever the mode of transport.

I see a parallel here with firearms licensing - the more power/propensity for harm, the more regulation. A mishandled cycle is far less likely to cause serious injury than a mishandled motor vehicle. 

I agree with much of what you say, but as a cyclist you can identify the make and model of vehicle, plus each vehicle has a registration plate, as you know, but apart from the fact ‘he was wearing Lycra officer, and riding a bike’, there’s not a lot else you can give. 
The cyclist passing the horse rider, as mentioned earlier, was only identified because he was participating in an organised event amongst other riders, if he’d been in his own he wouldn’t have been identified. 

I used to do a LOT of cyling.
I used to compete in cyclocross and for a long while the only mode of transport I had was a bicycle.
In all the THOUSANDS of miles I've rode, not ONCE have I ever felt inclined to dress up in lycra as a gay power ranger or disobey any of the laws of the road.

Been a fair while since I've rode a bicycle though mind you.

What gets me now is the groups of stuck up arrogant tits that ride around in massive swarms each deep in the deluded fantasy that they're in the tour de france riding with their head up the persons **** in front. What a grand old time looking up another mans sweaty lycra clad hairy **** crack.
And do they EVER move over from their massive block of 3 abreast? Nope. Also usually in such large groups that overtaking is also problematic.

i just can't bear em.

6 minutes ago, HuskyRich said:

I used to do a LOT of cyling.
I used to compete in cyclocross and for a long while the only mode of transport I had was a bicycle.
In all the THOUSANDS of miles I've rode, not ONCE have I ever felt inclined to dress up in lycra as a gay power ranger or disobey any of the laws of the road.

Been a fair while since I've rode a bicycle though mind you.

What gets me now is the groups of stuck up arrogant tits that ride around in massive swarms each deep in the deluded fantasy that they're in the tour de france riding with their head up the persons **** in front. What a grand old time looking up another mans sweaty lycra clad hairy **** crack.
And do they EVER move over from their massive block of 3 abreast? Nope. Also usually in such large groups that overtaking is also problematic.

i just can't bear em.

This is a major pain driving around roads in the Lakes. Swarms of riders, all of whom have every right to be there of course, but no consideration for motorists who just want to get where they need to be. Some folk seem to forget that people actually work in the Lakes,  not everyone is a tourist. 

I used to cycle 15 miles a day commuting in Manchester. Was much faster and cheaper than a car. I was run over in Sheffield at 30mph by a car that hadn’t seen me (bothered to look). When commuting I would wear padded cycling shorts and a t shirt, then shower in work. Cycling in your work clothes is not possible if you are a professional in Manchester (rain) and sustaining an average speed of above 20mph (sweat). If you are pootling along like a postman then I’m sure it is possible. I miss riding, such an efficient was to exercise but there is no viable way to cycle to my work due to Mersey Tunnel Regulations. 

26 minutes ago, Scully said:

This is a major pain driving around roads in the Lakes. Swarms of riders, all of whom have every right to be there of course, but no consideration for motorists who just want to get where they need to be. Some folk seem to forget that people actually work in the Lakes,  not everyone is a tourist. 

It's not just the Lakes, we suffer similarly in and around the peaks.

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

I used to cycle 15 miles a day commuting in Manchester. Was much faster and cheaper than a car. I was run over in Sheffield at 30mph by a car that hadn’t seen me (bothered to look).

No wonder they didn't see you in Manchester from Sheffield!

I commuted to work on a motorbike for years in Sheffield and the calibre of driving shown by the locals was always pretty appalling!