Cyclist

The Heron

I’ll have to be the one to add reason to this debate. 

As as someone who drives a car, rides a motorcycle, bicycle, and horse on the road reasonably regularly to all four, I can assure you all there are ******** on every means of transport. There are however more people making the odd ****up out of momentary lapses of judgement or occasional incompetence than malice.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, come on guy's (organ donors) cyclist are always required by the NHS. 😇

The country lanes of Cheshire are full of these Lycra clad packs of tarmac Nazi's , every weekend. 

They can behave however they want, because they are totally 'anonymous'.

Also , the police are about as hard to find as a bacon butty in a mosque.

I ride a sit up and beg cycle two miles to work and back every day , and when I stop at a red light , i get swamped by other cyclists riding straight through , or hopping up on the pavement and using the pedestrian route. Madness, no consideration for anyone else ! And the young ####, that wheelie past me and pedestrians, then drop their cycles across the pavement when they go into a shop! No consideration for other people!

We , have an instruction manual , that all road users should follow! But , when was the last time YOU, read a Highway Code? Its updated every year !

As I went into the garage shop to pay for diesel one day a couple of teenage cyclists , maybe 16/17 yr olds, swept in front of me and lay their bikes down across the shop doorway. They were not impressed when I walked all over the bikes, paying particular attention to the wheel spokes. Other customers just stood outside tut tutting until the idiots moved them when they emerged.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

As I went into the garage shop to pay for diesel one day a couple of teenage cyclists , maybe 16/17 yr olds, swept in front of me and lay their bikes down across the shop doorway. They were not impressed when I walked all over the bikes, paying particular attention to the wheel spokes. Other customers just stood outside tut tutting until the idiots moved them when they emerged.

That makes your behaviour worse than the kids and also guilty of criminal damage. 

15 hours ago, Scully said:

I kid you not! Have just returned from an evenings walk and it was dark enough to need lights by the time I got back, but just as I was turning into the yard I was startled by a cyclist in the middle of the road, coming towards me with no lights on! I swerved left and he right, but no sooner had he passed me than I heard a crash , and in turning round saw him picking himself up out of the roadside! 😂😂

I asked him if he was ok, and he said he was. He didn’t sound convincing though and was hopping about a bit, and didn’t try to get back on his bike, and when I offered to get him a torch from the house, he told me he lived in the next village and would be ok. 
I was pleased to get away actually as I was finding it harder and harder not to laugh. Unbelievable coincidence given the thread just started today! 

You should have laughed and ridiculed him, yes the roads these days can be scary busy if your on a bike, but a high vis vest or coat and a couple of lights are certainly not expensive. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

You should have laughed and ridiculed him, yes the roads these days can be scary busy if your on a bike, but a high vis vest or coat and a couple of lights are certainly not expensive. 

I think he was in quite a bit of  pain actually, if the way he was hopping about was anything to go by. There was no vindictiveness in his actions, I genuinely think he just left it too late to set off home. Like I said, if anyone is likely to get hurt with him having no lights, it’ll be him. 
Noticed this morning when I took the dogs out,  there was a stone from the drystone wall laying in the hedge, so he must have gone a fair cropper when he fell over! 😀

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

If I'd witnessed it I'd have called the police and if necessary citizen arrested you until they attended, you committed a criminal act and should be ashamed. 

I was at my friend’s house aged 12/13 and then two scally lads 15/6 stole his little brother and sister’s bike from in the street outside the house. They ran in crying. His dad, ex-army, jumped in the car and we ran out after them. He literally just ran them down as they tried to cycle away then gave them a good hiding in the street with all then neighbours watching. Was brilliant to watch as we caught up but it was definitely illegal. They never came back again. His dad had multiple previous convictions for assault, one using a weapon (unopened can of coca-cola). The poor lads learnt a valuable lesson that day, yes he broke the law but he possibly prevented them from breaking the law many times over. Who am I to judge if he was morally right? 🤣

Sometimes rough justice is the best justice.  Kid gloves certainly don't work. 

Most people would class a citizens arrest as an assault and deal with the person accordingly. I can't imaging of coming screaming to the rescue straight away. 

Hello is that the police, I've made a citizen arrest and need assistance, yes sir what has the person done, he walked over some youths bikes they left accross a doorway blocking it standing on the wheels and possibly causing criminal damage. Ok sir we will have a squad car and officers there right away. Sound about right 👍.

Or is this more normal in today's world, hello police, answer machine this station is closed from 5 pm everyday please phone such and such number, hello someone is burgling my home, are you in danger no I'm upstairs hiding, ok we will have someone there soon as possible. Two days later a knock on door police we understand you were burgled. 

Edited by figgy

On 27/09/2020 at 11:42, Yellow Bear said:

I empathise with most of the above comments but any minute now Raja will be along to defend them and tell us all  what wonderful fellows they all are.

Strange post, my recollection of our last interaction on cyclists was to offer to assist you by approaching the offending club secretary on the basis of club secretary to club secretary. You declined my offer, perhaps you'd rather just vent online than actually have something done about the people apparently making your life a misery.

For the record I have not, and never would, defend every cyclist - there are good and bad just like there are good and bad drivers, pedestrians, motorcyclists etc. 

This thread is a great advert for the tolerance and inclusiveness of the UK shooting community and suggests that some amongst us even have scant regard for the law of the land. Couldn't make it up...

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Strange post, my recollection of our last interaction on cyclists was to offer to assist you by approaching the offending club secretary on the basis of club secretary to club secretary. You declined my offer, perhaps you'd rather just vent online than actually have something done about the people apparently making your life a misery.

For the record I have not, and never would, defend every cyclist - there are good and bad just like there are good and bad drivers, pedestrians, motorcyclists etc. 

This thread is a great advert for the tolerance and inclusiveness of the UK shooting community and suggests that some amongst us even have scant regard for the law of the land. Couldn't make it up...

:good:Sad state of affairs when licence holders are apparently readily prepared to dish out or condone violent behavior. 

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Sometimes rough justice is the best justice.  Kid gloves certainly don't work. 

Most people would class a citizens arrest as an assault and deal with the person accordingly. I can't imaging of coming screaming to the rescue straight away. 

Hello is that the police, I've made a citizen arrest and need assistance, yes sir what has the person done, he walked over some youths bikes they left accross a doorway blocking it standing on the wheels and possibly causing criminal damage. Ok sir we will have a squad car and officers there right away. Sound about right 👍.

Or is this more normal in today's world, hello police, answer machine this station is closed from 5 pm everyday please phone such and such number, hello someone is burgling my home, are you in danger no I'm upstairs hiding, ok we will have someone there soon as possible. Two days later a knock on door police we understand you were burgled. 

Maybe or maybe not, the point is, what I assume is a licence holder is openly condoning breaking the law and boasting how he wrecked a Couple of kids bikes, what a hero! 

As others have said, some of this thread hardly paints shooters in a good light, especially when you think that the majority of the UK population would like to see, or at least wouldn't care if shooting was banned and yet we as shooters are happy to demonise someone else's legitimate hobby. Pot, kettle, black anyone! 

9 hours ago, London Best said:

Well done that man 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Whilst I did appreciate your offer, unless you are an aficionado, to tell the "club" when, although "uniformed", they display no name. As to venting, it is the only thing left as even the local councils are having trouble containing the problems.  

3 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

This thread is a great advert for the tolerance and inclusiveness of the UK shooting community and suggests that some amongst us even have scant regard for the law of the land.

Tolerance requires give and take and is a two way street as is regard for the law.  I am quite happy for them to partake in their hobby but unlike the shooting community they do not have to be "squeaky  clean" to retain their licence and behave accordingly.  

58 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

As others have said, some of this thread hardly paints shooters in a good light, especially when you think that the majority of the UK population would like to see, or at least wouldn't care if shooting was banned and yet we as shooters are happy to demonise someone else's legitimate hobby. Pot, kettle, black anyone! 

It is not just "shooters" - A large proportion of locals in my area would like to see the activities of these riders curtailed as they daily put their lives and more important the lives of others at risk with their behaviour and being unlicensed and therefore untraceable frequently "get away with it" when they cause a problem. Rural and semi rural areas have a low police presence and when they do eventually turn up the response is there is nothing they can do.  There are sensible and considerate riders but their numbers seem to be outweighed by those that are not.

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Maybe or maybe not, the point is, what I assume is a licence holder is openly condoning breaking the law and boasting how he wrecked a Couple of kids bikes, what a hero! 

goes both ways pretty bad light to be seen in when your having a full scale fight trying to arrest someone and it goes wrong for you 

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

Whilst I did appreciate your offer, unless you are an aficionado, to tell the "club" when, although "uniformed", they display no name. As to venting, it is the only thing left as even the local councils are having trouble containing the problems.  

Tolerance requires give and take and is a two way street as is regard for the law.  I am quite happy for them to partake in their hobby but unlike the shooting community they do not have to be "squeaky  clean" to retain their licence and behave accordingly.  

It is not just "shooters" - A large proportion of locals in my area would like to see the activities of these riders curtailed as they daily put their lives and more important the lives of others at risk with their behaviour and being unlicensed and therefore untraceable frequently "get away with it" when they cause a problem. Rural and semi rural areas have a low police presence and when they do eventually turn up the response is there is nothing they can do.  There are sensible and considerate riders but their numbers seem to be outweighed by those that are not.

And that's fair enough, my criticism is only of the few on here who are advocating breaking the law as if two wrongs make a right, or are so intolerant as to brand all cyclists as bad. 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

goes both ways pretty bad light to be seen in when your having a full scale fight trying to arrest someone and it goes wrong for you 

All my actions have always been lawful. Two years ago I prevented a gentleman from being assaulted in a road rage incident on the m5, the police who attended thanked me, as did several other shocked motorists who were held up in the fast lane. I'm happy to stick my neck out as long as my actions are lawful, necessary, and reasonable in the circumstances, which is very different to openly admitting to criminal acts.