Cyclist

The Heron

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

What about a way of identifying all the pedestrians who stray into the cycle lanes when fixated on their phones?

Pedestrians are not on or in a vehicle.

It's the vehicle that should be identifiable, as all other vehicles have to be, and upto the registered keeper to disclose who was operating it.

If I leave the scene of an RTC, it's not me, the driver that is identifiable, it's my vehicle, which is then traceable (at least for most), and as such hopefully the driver. I see no reason why cyclist shouldn't be traceable the same way, nor why any law-abiding cyclist would be against it.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

What about a way of identifying all the pedestrians who stray into the cycle lanes when fixated on their phones?

What about a way of identifying cyclist who ride their bikes on pavements? I came very close to being hit by one who just appeared around a corner while i was walking back to my parked vehicle with cans of paint! He didn't even have time to slow down! 🙂

3 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Pedestrians are golden - they can jump out in front of your car and it is still the drivers fault (in the eyes of insurance at least) - go on - ask me how I know!! :D

A report in The Times today (can’t do links on my ‘phone). The Road Collision Reporting Guidelines are out for consultation. Under the Guidelines it is proposed that the abuse of cyclists in the media would be treated as a hate crime. Careful what you say 😂😂😂

10 hours ago, discobob said:

Which side to you work on - you could catch the ferry

I work on the Liverpool side most days, Ferry is no longer a commuter option as it takes the tourist route AFAIK. Takes me 30 mins to drive in. My dream is to move the office towards me into Cheshire in a small rural conversion to business use. Harder to get staff but now we have a good reputation that is less of an issue. 

10 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

No wonder they didn't see you in Manchester from Sheffield!

I commuted to work on a motorbike for years in Sheffield and the calibre of driving shown by the locals was always pretty appalling! 

Sheffield has very steep streets and tram lines. Both made cycling harder. 

11 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I work on the Liverpool side most days, Ferry is no longer a commuter option as it takes the tourist route AFAIK. Takes me 30 mins to drive in. My dream is to move the office towards me into Cheshire in a small rural conversion to business use. Harder to get staff but now we have a good reputation that is less of an issue. 

My company relocated from Bidston (where they owned all the property) to Chapel Street (same building as LFC) in September 2019. So I went from a 35/40 minute step in the car step out of the car commute - to drive to Eastham Rake, park up - get the train, walk to the office commute of 1hr 15 😞 - one of the reasons quoted was to attract "talent"

SOME are not much better mannered on the road ! 

a couple of years ago picking something up from a fella up the dales and driving down single track road with passing places come over crest of hill and meet a bike coming up the small hill I have no where to let him past or anywhere to reverse to apart from the gate hole 10 yards infront of him so he has to slow down to let me pass I thank him with a friendly wave he tries to spit through my 1/2 open drivers window ! 

On 03/10/2020 at 08:37, Agriv8 said:

SOME are not much better mannered on the road ! 

a couple of years ago picking something up from a fella up the dales and driving down single track road with passing places come over crest of hill and meet a bike coming up the small hill I have no where to let him past or anywhere to reverse to apart from the gate hole 10 yards infront of him so he has to slow down to let me pass I thank him with a friendly wave he tries to spit through my 1/2 open drivers window ! 

I'd have lost my tickets ,and he'd have lost his front teeth . Spitting is a disgrace. 

I come off a dual carriageway to take a back road right to my works front door , it means i get stopped at a set of traffic lights to go over a hump back bridge,  cycle lane each side right up to the bridge  . One morning after waiting on the lights changing i started across the wee hump back bridge it was like the tour de france on the other side of the bridge  lycra clad cyclist right over the road  in front of me , they must not of liked the look of the old nissan truck they suddenly found the cycle lane at there side of the bridge LOL 

On 01/10/2020 at 13:50, Demonic69 said:

If a cyclist should hit one of them, who's insurance pays out?

Whilst it's not a legal requirement, most British Cycling membership tiers come with third party liability insurance and legal protection. Mine has £5M more cover than my BASC shooting insurance!

So the flip side is if a pedestrian wipes someone like me and my bike out, then who coughs up?

I think it would be very harsh to legislate that all cyclists must have insurance - where would you draw the line? Unless it was legislated that all "citizens" must have insurance which would also cover pedestrians.

On 01/10/2020 at 13:51, Newbie to this said:

Pedestrians are not on or in a vehicle.

It's the vehicle that should be identifiable, as all other vehicles have to be, and upto the registered keeper to disclose who was operating it.

If I leave the scene of an RTC, it's not me, the driver that is identifiable, it's my vehicle, which is then traceable (at least for most), and as such hopefully the driver. I see no reason why cyclist shouldn't be traceable the same way, nor why any law-abiding cyclist would be against it.

I have no issue with the idea in principle but how would you suggest implementing this?

On 01/10/2020 at 14:51, Scully said:

What about a way of identifying cyclist who ride their bikes on pavements? I came very close to being hit by one who just appeared around a corner while i was walking back to my parked vehicle with cans of paint! He didn't even have time to slow down! 🙂

Why not just have a way of identifying everyone - I know you're a bit fan of the big brother model of society where the government knows where everyone is and what they are doing 24/7 😛 

On 01/10/2020 at 17:04, discobob said:

Pedestrians are golden - they can jump out in front of your car and it is still the drivers fault (in the eyes of insurance at least) - go on - ask me how I know!! :D

Unfortunately I can guess 😞 

2 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Whilst it's not a legal requirement, most British Cycling membership tiers come with third party liability insurance and legal protection. Mine has £5M more cover than my BASC shooting insurance!

So the flip side is if a pedestrian wipes someone like me and my bike out, then who coughs up?

The cyclist's insurance coughs up, if they had it. If a cyclist hits a car, the car driver's insurance pays out, regardless of fault.

25 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Are you absolutely sure about the last bit?

99% sure. There was a lot of talk about the changes made a few years ago. It's not presumed liability, but the car insurance still pays out. The cyclist wouldn't be expected to claim for damages, compensation etc, but would get any medical expenses etc. paid for.

6 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Perhaps the same way they do with motor vehicles. 

I really don't see how that's practical, it would be an absolute minefield costing billions to implement and administer.

6 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

99% sure. There was a lot of talk about the changes made a few years ago. It's not presumed liability, but the car insurance still pays out. The cyclist wouldn't be expected to claim for damages, compensation etc, but would get any medical expenses etc. paid for.

I'll take your word for it. I know the drivers insurance pays out when the driver is at fault (a good mate of mine got wiped out first ride on a shiny new bike last year) - it cost the drivers insurance company big time.

8 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

The cyclist's insurance coughs up, if they had it. If a cyclist hits a car, the car driver's insurance pays out, regardless of fault.

My sons deals with a lot of compensation claims. He said it is extremely rare for a drivers insurance not to pay out if a cyclist is involved, regardless of fault. Pretty much a rubber stamp exercise. 

A fast stretch of road near me is the scene of regularily squished cyclists who get sucked under the wheels of 40 ton artics by the slipstream.

The number of them dressed from head to foot in urban camo black, is astonsihing.

The real irony is that they ride immediately adjacent to a 15 ft wide, recently resurfaced, well lit and clearly signposted Cyclepath.

Why?

1 hour ago, mudpatten said:

The number of them dressed from head to foot in urban camo black, is astonsihing.

The real irony is that they ride immediately adjacent to a 15 ft wide, recently resurfaced, well lit and clearly signposted Cyclepath.

Why?

Two questions I would also like answered

Edited by Yellow Bear

3 hours ago, AVB said:

My sons deals with a lot of compensation claims. He said it is extremely rare for a drivers insurance not to pay out if a cyclist is involved, regardless of fault. Pretty much a rubber stamp exercise. 

Great, next time I feel the need to upgrade my bike I know where to point and shoot at...

3 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Oh well, just let the cyclist carry on with impunity then :good:

But there's really only impunity for those that choose not to be responsible / accountable - you seem keen to want to tar every cyclist with the same brush. 

It's not even like everybody driving a car is actually insured, as an example.