Gun fit and cost of having work done

andrew f

17 hours ago, Saltings said:

dislexic  took between two and three hours to wright the piece  don t know where to put bits in    im just glad it makes some sense and the words are not the wrong way round not to mention spelling 

Thank you for the explanation , I see many posts on  different sites that have come from those either to lazy or using text speak and bad spelling that punctuation and grammer seems almost a thing of the past .

I have had  some mirror vision difficulties myself over my life and that has created many problems with math and spelling so I fully understand how you write .

Your post was fully understandable and made very valid points and I hope you keep posting .

Regards G 

Edited by Gunman

On 03/10/2020 at 13:58, Gunman said:

Thank you for the explanation , I see many posts on  different sites that have come from those either to lazy or using text speak and bad spelling that punctuation and grammer seems almost a thing of the past .

I have had  some mirror vision difficulties myself over my life and that has created many problems with math and spelling so I fully understand how you write .

Your post was fully understandable and made very valid points and I hope you keep posting .

Regards G 

grammer       bullet point (direct) i get     a long winded letter anyone's guess what i get from it        txt speek  i don't get         have always thought my kids to annunciate and pronuncial    speak the language properly       before you kill it      even though i cant right it  properly     chav speek   txt speak     gangsta speak   msm speek    im lost   kids tell me what this means            which is why  a bit longwinded on here   so no one  gets the wrong gist of what i am trying to say 

if someone who doesn't believe gun fitting works  rushed shot walked up missed get in touch      a box of cartridge's and two runners in the bag       pay me for my time when your averages improve  (and they will )     even clay busters the target that gets away cant understand why usually shooting low  

2 hours ago, Saltings said:

grammer       bullet point (direct) i get     a long winded letter anyone's guess what i get from it        txt speek  i don't get         have always thought my kids to annunciate and pronuncial    speak the language properly       before you kill it      even though i cant right it  properly     chav speek   txt speak     gangsta speak   msm speek    im lost   kids tell me what this means            which is why  a bit longwinded on here   so no one  gets the wrong gist of what i am trying to say 

if someone who doesn't believe gun fitting works  rushed shot walked up missed get in touch      a box of cartridge's and two runners in the bag       pay me for my time when your averages improve  (and they will )     even clay busters the target that gets away cant understand why usually shooting low               mbi i can help 

When I was younger I shot target air rifle to the low 90's with a mid range rifle . Some I knew started buying expensive guns but never made them good shots  . It was my experience that if you couldn't shoot to mid 80's with a fairly basic rifle  spending more did not help . Alternately shoot 90 plus with a basic gun a better gun may have given you high 90's .

With a shot gun providing the overall parameters are correct , you learn to stand and mount and you learn to shoot ,you learn to calculate distance , lead and where your gun shoots .

[ Unlike target rifles the  cost and  quality of a shot gun is largely  irrelevant . It does not matter what it is fitted with , fancy and pointles chokes , adjustable this or that it is the operator that makes the shot and hits his bird . So  being  honest some of you , myself included , will never be good shots no matter what we buy , use or try .]

When you have mastered this and can hit more than you miss then gun fitting is fine tuning , gun fitting is solving a few problems that you may have , hitting all your left to right crossers but missing right to left ,tending to shoot above or below etc . 

Gun fitting is not instruction it is about  controlling the gun and ergonomic interface between man and machine   .

I have said this so many times but ,you can not fit a gun to a man who cant shoot .

That 70 % of problems are with stance and mount .

Another big problem is believing you have a problem and lose confidence in your ability , always telling yourself that you would have hit the bird if you had another gun or different chokes , or different cartridges or better glasses or a different foresight . The list of excuses is endless .

A good gun fitter will look listen and analyze and make suggestions , it may be some small alteration to the stock , it may be your mount and stance , it may be that you should forget about shooting and take up golf .

Personally I always believed in doing the minimum amount of work to stocks taking things one step at a time allowing the user to get used to the changes .So it was often that a little cast or length adjustment was all that was needed , no need for both ,sometimes it was just assuring the shooter there was nothing wrong and that he should stop thinking about the shot and just see mount and shoot , a snap shot , so to speak .

Apologies for rambling on but I have been doing this for a long time and the one thing I learnt was that you have to treat each person as an individual , too many times have I seen people wrongly advised by those with set views on stock length etc .

So yes gun fitting is a very good idea and may well help you to be a better shot ,it may in time  save you money in cartridges used to birds hit . It will make you feel better knowing its you and nothing else when [ if ] you miss . 

On 02/10/2020 at 22:52, enfieldspares said:

A traditionally configured shotgun that has just a bead front "sight" and no rear sight needs to "fit" its user so that user's own eye is in fact behind where on an aperture sighted rifle that the rearsight would be. The off the peg shotgun is made to 90% of the time fit Mr Average by allowing the shooter to achieve that happy result. With if needed maybe a 1/4" tweak here or there. T

So to say that gunfit is a nonsense shows an ignorance of the fact that gunfit is designed to position the eye to act as a rearsight

Sometimes I've explained it by using as example the Lee Enfield No4. Which even if we aren't "hands on" familiar with we can find pictures of. On the No4 the rearsight is an aperture rearsight mounted at the extreme rear of the receiver. Not as on the SMLE or German Mauser mid-way down the barrel. But as close to the firer's eye as possible the butt then being shaped so the firer can position his eye in a straight line along the axis of the barrel of eye..(aperture)...frontsight...target.

Now assume by the rearsight on that No4 falls off or has its "Battle Sight" aperture milled of as on the No4(T).

There's now no rearsight and no aperture that has thus far forced the firer to adopt always a correct alignment along the axis of the barrel of eye...(aperture)...frontsight...target. So the purpose of gunfit is the same purpose as the aperture on the rearsight of a No4. And that is to ensure that the shooter's eye even though there is no aperture to look through is always in the same position seeing the target down a straight line along the axis of the barrel.

Very, very well explained

On 27/09/2020 at 19:03, andrew f said:

I brought a kofs 12 bore last year and haven't been getting along with it very well after seeking advice from someone with a bit more knowledge about shotguns I pattern tested a few different cartridges and they all patterned well. How much of the rib should I be seeing is the question as I can see all the way down it and he thinks I need the Combe dropped? 

Where is your nearest small town?

I brought a kofs 12 bore last year and haven't been getting along with it very well after seeking advice from someone with a bit more knowledge about shotguns I pattern tested a few different cartridges and they all patterned well. How much of the rib should I be seeing is the question as I can see all the way down it and he thinks I need the Combe dropped? 

4 hours ago, Gunman said:

It was my experience that if you couldn't shoot to mid 80's with a fairly basic rifle  spending more did not help . Alternately shoot 90 plus with a basic gun a better gun may have given you high 90's .

With a shot gun providing the overall parameters are correct , you learn to stand and mount and you learn to shoot ,you learn to calculate distance , lead and where your gun shoots .

[ Unlike target rifles the  cost and  quality of a shot gun is largely  irrelevant . It does not matter what it is fitted with , fancy and pointles chokes , adjustable this or that it is the operator that makes the shot and hits his bird . So  being  honest some of you , myself included , will never be good shots no matter what we buy , use or try .]

Unfortunately for main this true and even truer in Target Rifle why do some many Queens Medal winners shoot swings and paramounts.  

unfortunately so many don’t understand that you can’t buy talent in shooting, practise and coaching can develop anyone but only as far as their talent will allow.