Introduction about myself.

Jimbob93

Hello Everybody. 

I joined this forum end of last year I believe it was but have only just had a proper look through this fantastic forum. I think it's time I introduce myself! 

My name is James, I am 27 and from Derby. I have been shooting for a few years but only got my own license and gun (a Browning B525 sporter but I have recently changed it for a B525 Game One, the sporter was fantastic but I liked the less weight the game had) at the start of this year. Previously I had been shooting while under supervision. Before September last year I had only been shooting clays and didn't get into the game shooting side until I got my Fox Red working lab pup who I have been gundog training for about a year now. Gundog training has introduced me to the fantastic world of game shooting and working my now 1 year old lab (hopefully be introducing him to his first shoot soon but I don't want to rush him even though he is doing fantastic) 

I recently bought my first air gun, a BSA Ultra SE .22 and have gained my first permission at a small farm/horse yard. I bought this especially for this permission as a shotgun wasn't an option as the farm is small, close to residential houses and the noise could potentially spook the horses and cause an injury. I was offered the permission from the land owner as we keep our horse there and over a conversation about hobbies he said I could help myself to the rabbits as they are causing issues. He doesn't know much about guns and I didn't want to say 'oh sorry I've only got a shotgun so I can't' but then I also didn't want to rock up with my shotgun and start blasting away only for him to realise this is bad news lol so I thought it through and got my first air rifle. Before I let myself loose on the bunnies I spent a few weeks gaining confidence and knowledge by shooting in my back garden. I've been at the yard on the bunnies a few times now but have only managed to shoot one :-(. Because the yard also has other people who keep their horses there I have to wait until all the horses are in. There is also a lady there who is a vegetarian and is anti shooting so I wait until she has gone until I start. Unlucky that she is also the last to leave at around 8pm which lately has meant I have to lamp. I believe my misfortune is down to my own inexperience regarding stalking/ambushing the rabbits and I need to stop moving from field to field as there are only two fields. I've decided to stick to one field at a time and wait in ambush no matter how long it takes. But I'm taking all of this as a lesson and everyday is a school day. 

I'd love to get out with the shotgun and hopefully one day I will but as we all know that is easier said than done and I'd like to gain some experience before I start knocking on farmers doors asking if they want pest control and expecting me to deliver. 

I'm looking forward to spending time in this forum and gaining some knowledge and help from you all. 

Cheers

James 

Good to hear from you; your enthusiasm shines through. If I may offer a word of advice. Do not be in a hurry to introduce your dog to shoots. He may be doing well but is unlikely to have the mental development to cope with the pressure. My labs are not out until 18 months to 2 years and I have learned that the hard way over 40 years plus. Take it slowly and you will have a good dog for ten years but rush it and you could have a disaster on your hands for that time.

Good luck

Lamping rabbits is a very hard thing to do .even for the very experienced. 

A .22 has a pretty loopy trajectory making accurate range finding beyond 30 yds vital .a laser range finder will help loads with this  .

Work out your relevant hold over dots for different ranges .

Stick to day light  for now ..

As for the vegetarian  woman .tell her rabbits  only eat grass so eating one is the same as eating a vegetable. 

Get up early and stalk the rabbits at first light before any one is around  

22 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Good to hear from you; your enthusiasm shines through. If I may offer a word of advice. Do not be in a hurry to introduce your dog to shoots. He may be doing well but is unlikely to have the mental development to cope with the pressure. My labs are not out until 18 months to 2 years and I have learned that the hard way over 40 years plus. Take it slowly and you will have a good dog for ten years but rush it and you could have a disaster on your hands for that time.

Good luck

Hi Dave, thanks for the advice. When I say about his first shoot I'm referring to a shoot that our dog trainer is putting together especially for novice picking up and beating dogs. We will be coupled with an experienced handler and dog as well as my dog and will get the chance to have a go but without the pressure of a proper shoot day. This is only for dogs that are ready. Her husband is a game keeper and I believe he is putting it on too. 🙂

25 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Lamping rabbits is a very hard thing to do .even for the very experienced. 

A .22 has a pretty loopy trajectory making accurate range finding beyond 30 yds vital .a laser range finder will help loads with this  .

Work out your relevant hold over dots for different ranges .

Stick to day light  for now ..

As for the vegetarian  woman .tell her rabbits  only eat grass so eating one is the same as eating a vegetable. 

Get up early and stalk the rabbits at first light before any one is around  

Good advice. I have been sticking to early mornings as you say and it is a lot better for me at the moment. Plus it's a great excuse to get up and out and make the most of the day 🙂

36 minutes ago, Westley said:

Excellent, well done..................Oh, and welcome   !

Thank you Westley!

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

look at a moderated shotgun may:good:be 

I've been looking at the Mossberg .410 hushpower. Great excuse for another gun too 😅