Electronic ear defenders?

wildfowler.250

Who makes the ‘best’ electronic ear defenders? I usually just use the usual ‘chainsaw’ / earmuff type ones but could do with an electronic pair to be honest. Don’t mind paying reasonable money for them. If anyone can recommend a brand, that would be brilliant. Not particularly fussed for the custom/moulded options.

Thanks!

I have had Peltor and MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X. Both are great but if they get lost the cost of replacement makes you cry. I now have a pair that is 1/10th of the price and when they get damaged it is less of an issue to replace. If you are just doing a couple of days driven shooting or clays I would go with the best either XPI or Pro X, however m if you use and abuse your equipment frequently over rough terrain and are picking up the tab then think of your wallet and go for Awesafe at £26 including P&P. 

Edited by WalkedUp

37 minutes ago, PPP said:

I bought howard Leight ones, ok but not great and last year I bought peltor sport as which are Infinately better for not much cash.

I don’t fight in wars so don’t need commtac..

Are you using these ?

https://www.best4systems.co.uk/peltor-sporttac-hearing-protector-all.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA Shopping&utm_term=4574930448815345&utm_content=Main Group

22 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I use  Howard Leight ones when on the farm etc. But, wearing them on the range, with a non moderated .308 being fired next to me, the report hit my ears! I've just ordered a set of Emtec Noisebreakers which will be used mainly on the range. I'll be testing them out soon, hopefully.

I've just ordered some Emtec noisebreakers too.

I got a cheap pair of amazon to try out. They cost 25 quid. If it wasn't raining I'd go to the garage and see what make they are. 

They are great. My much richer friend has a far more expensive pair to go with his range rover (that does not get muddy  ever) and we can't tell the difference in fit or sound quality/reduction. 

14 hours ago, GingerCat said:

I got a cheap pair of amazon to try out. They cost 25 quid. If it wasn't raining I'd go to the garage and see what make they are. 

They are great. My much richer friend has a far more expensive pair to go with his range rover (that does not get muddy  ever) and we can't tell the difference in fit or sound quality/reduction. 

I got the awesafe ones from Amazon also, based on almost 5,000 good reviews. Absolutely spot on, to the point I wonder what the peltor ones would do better for the extra cost? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Shooting-Range-Earmuff-Awesafe-GF01-Noise-Reduction-Sound-Amplification-Electronic-Safety-Ear-Muffs-Ear-Protection/dp/B0797SW8VZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ear+defenders+shooting+noise+cancelling&qid=1601539556&sprefix=ear+defenders+sho&sr=8-3

Edited by hod

1 hour ago, hod said:

Those are the ones. Well worth it. 

2 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Those are the ones. Well worth it. 

I had the Noisebreakers delivered this morning. Total cost £113, including the £35 Specsavers charged for the mould, and £6:00 postage, which they were sent in a small jiffy type bag!!! I'll try them out when I'm on the range next.

I've just received my Awesafe electronic ear muffs via Amazon Prime for under £26:00. I tried them and they are excellent. These will be used as backup for my Howard Leight ones, that are showing the worse for wear, after using them for many years, and will also be used my one of my grandson's when I take him/them shooting. I've very pleased, and recommend them.

3 hours ago, samboy said:

I've just cancelled my order as the  hearing shop who were doing the moulds wanted £130. 

I'll make do with my Mercury plugs and some others i had made a while back. 

Specsavers charged me £35 for making the moulds, which was taken off the total price. I paid an extra £78 to Emtec, which include £6:00 postage for what was a small jiffy bag!

I've had Peltor Sportacs for the last 12 years, think I paid around £100 and they are excellent.    Downsides?  A bit bulky - careful adjustment required so you don't get contact with the gun stock, the ear pads don't provide a good sound seal when you are wearing shooting glasses.

However the question was which are the 'Best' and that has to be the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X with the silicon gel ear muffs.

Developed for military applications they are built like the proverbial brick outhouse, are extremely comfortable, the microphones are super sensitive (adjustable), for normal conversation but cut the gun report sound back to complete comfort levels.  Buy the right model and you get the Gel ear pads as standard (also available separately so you can upgrade), the gel pads wrap themselves around the shooting glasses frames and eliminate the sound leakage issue.   The controls to use the muffs are super simple and designed to be used when wearing gloves, simply the best - cost no object. I paid £207 for mine a few months back,