AYA magnum - steel?

HDSharks

Got hold of an old AYA No3 'Magnum', which I fancy using on the foreshore this season, just for a change. Barrels are marked '1200 bar' which seems like quite high pressure, although not sure if this is what they are tested to, or a working pressure? Ideally would like to use the gun with 3" high pressure steel, but from memory they require 1300 odd proofing. Obviously no fleur de lis marking given the age of the gun. 

Anyone know the score here? Obviously not hugely keen on blowing my barrels up!

55 minutes ago, HDSharks said:

Got hold of an old AYA No3 'Magnum', which I fancy using on the foreshore this season, just for a change. Barrels are marked '1200 bar' which seems like quite high pressure, although not sure if this is what they are tested to, or a working pressure? Ideally would like to use the gun with 3" high pressure steel, but from memory they require 1300 odd proofing. Obviously no fleur de lis marking given the age of the gun. 

If there's no fleur de lise marking then no high pressure steep proof so it's not recommended to shoot superior proof steel through it....That's not to say people don't do it though 

1 hour ago, HDSharks said:

I shoot hp steel through my no3 and no plenty of other people that do too so whether you do or not is your decision. 

Thanks for the replies. Mainly I was wondering if it actually was unintentionally proofed to steel pressure with being rated for 1200 bar, which I believe is quite a bit more than the standard, albeit before steel was really a thing. Has been bored out to 1/2 & 1/2 already, so no issues there. 

Shot well with the gun tonight using the standard steel on foreshore ducks, so may just persevere with that for a while. until the geese show up.

On 28/09/2020 at 14:33, HDSharks said:

Same proof marks as my aya no3 magnum mine choked 1/4 1/2 I’ve put gamebore standard steel through it no problem But haven’t used 3inch HP Steel yet as no need for 3inch at the duck I’m hunting As m greeny says it’s up to u regarding 3inch To be honest any geese I’ve shot have been shot with 2 3/4 no4s with no wounding 

Took my aya no3 mag out today, gamebore no1 36grm hp steel 3 pinks and a grey.  They will handle hip steel fine.   However, the previous 8 pinks of this season were all shot with an aya yeoman  2.75 inch chamber choked quarter and full using eley vip steel eco wad 32 gram no 3.  Shot loads of steel through the yeoman.  To be honest I think the 32grm no 3 killed better than the 36 gram no 1 s.  

if you are not happy using hip steel through your gun then the eley vip steel 32 gram no 3 will still cover you for geese at sensible ranges.

11 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

Took my aya no3 mag out today, gamebore no1 36grm hp steel 3 pinks and a grey.  They will handle hip steel fine.   However, the previous 8 pinks of this season were all shot with an aya yeoman  2.75 inch chamber choked quarter and full using eley vip steel eco wad 32 gram no 3.  Shot loads of steel through the yeoman.  To be honest I think the 32grm no 3 killed better than the 36 gram no 1 s.  

if you are not happy using hip steel through your gun then the eley vip steel 32 gram no 3 will still cover you for geese at sensible ranges.

There’s your answer mate good post flippermaj 👍👍👍

On 30/09/2020 at 20:57, flippermaj said:

Good post,I use hp 36grm 4s in my AYA may.with no problem.