Picking up Empties

Demonic69

19 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

My mistake. I assumed most houses now had wheely bins which just get tipped into a truck. Never seen our bin lads look inside a wheely. Too busy getting on and home.

They do have wheelie bins, green bins and bags, but some folk for whatever reason insist on painting their house number onto them. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

They do have wheelie bins, green bins and bags, but some folk for whatever reason insist on painting their house number onto them. 

You must not live in an area where this is necessary. If you don't have your number on it, you won't have a wheelie bin for very long 😅

1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

You must not live in an area where this is necessary. If you don't have your number on it, you won't have a wheelie bin for very long 😅

I don’t get that. How does having your house number on a wheelie bin prevent it from being stolen....if that’s what you mean? 

49 minutes ago, Scully said:

I don’t get that. How does having your house number on a wheelie bin prevent it from being stolen....if that’s what you mean? 

Not exactly stolen, in populous areas if the bins are unmarked some folks will just take the best bin available, particularly if theirs is wrecked. 

On our close the bin men leave all the bins together in clusters.  Just after we moved in the council had to provide us with new green and recycle bins as the old ones had "disappeared" in the short time the property was empty.  First time we put them out (unmarked) we were left with totally wrecked bins.   Fortunately we got them replace again and on the advice of a neighbour marked them, it has not happened again.  I suspect some people are just lazy.

18 hours ago, Scully said:

I’ve made it then, apparently. 🙂

Actually that’s not a bad way to gauge a neighbourhood: Do you need to number your wheelie bins?

In my case currently not, but there’s a family of ne’er do wells that live 3 doors up. He smokes something and makes the place smell like my student halls.

Getting back on topic, when i used to be able to get Winchester winners, i used to have all the home loaders following me around apparently they were the best spent cartridge to reload, so i could put them anywhere they were always spirited away.... 

On that subject does anyone still manage to get hold of Winchester winners or Silver's, they were awesome cartridges.

On 14/10/2020 at 06:50, 100milesaway said:

Getting back on topic, when i used to be able to get Winchester winners, i used to have all the home loaders following me around apparently they were the best spent cartridge to reload, so i could put them anywhere they were always spirited away.... 

On that subject does anyone still manage to get hold of Winchester winners or Silver's, they were awesome cartridges.

they were good for reloading as well

• 4 weeks later...

Being firing all sorts of guns for many years now and it was drilled into us to pick up empty cases. It’s now a automatic any time I’m on a range - unless specifically told not to and even then it’s hard not to lol. Manners cost nothing and if you can cart the stuff their you can cart the rubbish home :)  that’s my two bobs worth 

On 12/10/2020 at 12:25, Scully said:

Some folk paint their house number onto their waste bins or bags! Why I have no idea, but some do. 😀

because you get the same bins back ,instead of some broken minging one,,i empty my carts into a waste bin in a lay by on my way home from the ground ,that way i dont compromise my security,if you shoot regular your disposing of hundreds of empties,i would prefer my binmen not to be aware they are from my property,

1 minute ago, dabbers said:

because you get the same bins back ,instead of some broken minging one,,i empty my carts into a waste bin in a lay by on my way home from the ground ,that way i dont compromise my security,if you shoot regular your disposing of hundreds of empties,i would prefer my binmen not to be aware they are from my property,

I suppose it depends on your neighbourhood. I’ve never seen a broken or minging one yet, but it’s just a bin; it’s not like I’m taking it in the house. 
I just throw any spent cases I bring home, out with the rubbish. I suppose I’m just not that paranoid. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I suppose it depends on your neighbourhood. I’ve never seen a broken or minging one yet, but it’s just a bin; it’s not like I’m taking it in the house. 
I just throw any spent cases I bring home, out with the rubbish. I suppose I’m just not that paranoid. 🤷‍♂️

nothing to do with being paranoid,,,at least i,m not a witch doctor ,,ps i never started the insults you did .,,and its our recycling bins i think they are different from yours,too long to explain,the design i mean ..

What ever you do don't put empties in the recycling.

First of all they don't recycle them

second it causes the equivilent of a bomb scare at the recycling plant. They have to shut down and evacuate while the situation is "assessed" by a senior member of staff who then has to write an incident report. 

19 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

What ever you do don't put empties in the recycling.

First of all they don't recycle them

second it causes the equivilent of a bomb scare at the recycling plant. They have to shut down and evacuate while the situation is "assessed" by a senior member of staff who then has to write an incident report. 

Really? As far as I’m aware they’re classed as non hazardous in quantities up to 100, and therefore no problem if put into recycling. 
Even quantities above 100 pose no threat but come under a different directive unless I’m mistaken. 
All the info is online. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Really? As far as I’m aware they’re classed as non hazardous in quantities up to 100, and therefore no problem if put into recycling. 
Even quantities above 100 pose no threat but come under a different directive unless I’m mistaken. 
All the info is online. 

From our local recycling plant about 8-10 years ago. "Ammunition" (whatever that may mean in reality) is an emergency stop. Same as prescription drugs and cans of "chemicals" its all about Heath and Safety.

But its not worth putting them in because they don't get recycled anyway. In reality, only very specific items like cans and bottles get picked off the conveyor by the operators because each operator has a specific item that take off the belt and thats all they take off.

They don't actually sort the waste, it passes through too quickly for that 

Edited by Vince Green

8 hours ago, Vince Green said:

From our local recycling plant about 8-10 years ago. "Ammunition" (whatever that may mean in reality) is an emergency stop. Same as prescription drugs and cans of "chemicals" its all about Heath and Safety.

But its not worth putting them in because they don't get recycled anyway. In reality, only very specific items like cans and bottles get picked off the conveyor by the operators because each operator has a specific item that take off the belt and thats all they take off.

They don't actually sort the waste, it passes through too quickly for that 

Googling  ‘can you recycle spent cartridges’ gives all the relevant info’. If I recall BASC’s advice on the topic pops up there also.