Picking up Empties

Demonic69

On 12/10/2020 at 12:25, Scully said:

Some folk paint their house number onto their waste bins or bags! Why I have no idea, but some do. 😀

when living with neighbours that have cats who dump thier cat litter trays in the bins its best to mark your bin, you don't want one of thiers up your back passage ,especially in the summertime.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

When they are re-cycled, do they not need separating first, or is it separated during the process?

No idea, must be possible to separate the metal from the plastic though.

Just now, WalkedUp said:

Some councils will not even recycle paper with cardboard! 

Some councils need a size 9 up the *****.

On 14/11/2020 at 17:51, Gordon R said:

When they are re-cycled, do they not need separating first, or is it separated during the process?

They shred the cartridges into tiny pieces, then use magnets to remove the metal from the plastic.

I saw a video about a shotgun cartridge recycling scheme that collected empties from shooting grounds (for a fee), than recycled them into park benches etc. I'll post a link if I find it.

25 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I saw a video about a shotgun cartridge recycling scheme that collected empties from shooting grounds (for a fee), than recycled them into park benches etc. I'll post a link if I find it.

I'm not sure if this scheme is still active, but should be implemented by grounds instead of sending them to landfill.

On a similar note, one of my local grounds has been using the spent cartridges to fill large sacks, putting the sacks in wire cages, and placing them near the stands to act as windbreaks. It's made a big improvement on what was an open and windswept ground.

On 14/11/2020 at 17:51, Gordon R said:

Yes the company (singular) that recycles them does so by putting the cartridges through the equivilent of a mincing machine then passes the pieces underneath some strong magnets to extract the metal 

14 hours ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I'm not sure if this scheme is still active, but should be implemented by grounds instead of sending them to landfill.

On a similar note, one of my local grounds has been using the spent cartridges to fill large sacks, putting the sacks in wire cages, and placing them near the stands to act as windbreaks. It's made a big improvement on what was an open and windswept ground.

Yes the company still does recycling of cartridges. We have a couple of trips a year with half a dozen bags. They have several depots about 

I shoot a semi and pick up.all.the empties I can, if the stand has targets that cause the empties to be ejected onto the trap side of the barrier, some cannot be retrieved for safety reasons even with a stick.

Over and under shooters spitting them out allover the place should pick them up, blatent littering.

It is just routine for me to put my right hand over the breech as I open my gun, be it S x S or O/U, I then just place the fired cases into the bin. I cringe when I see idiots waving their gun around in an effort to empty the gun into a bin. Problem is, should they for any reason just fire 1 shot, they are still apt to wave the loaded gun around in an effort to hit the bin. Shame they do not put as much effort into hitting the targets as they put into hitting the bin.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

It is just routine for me to put my right hand over the breech as I open my gun, be it S x S or O/U, I then just place the fired cases into the bin. I cringe when I see idiots waving their gun around in an effort to empty the gun into a bin. Problem is, should they for any reason just fire 1 shot, they are still apt to wave the loaded gun around in an effort to hit the bin. Shame they do not put as much effort into hitting the targets as they put into hitting the bin.

Me too, to the extent that I have to remind myself sometimes NOT to do it on a peg! 

23 hours ago, Scully said:

Me too, to the extent that I have to remind myself sometimes NOT to do it on a peg! 

I still do it, even on a peg. I throw the 'kills' in front of me and the others behind me. I then know at the end of a drive exactly how many birds I have down. Just something I have done for many years and find it difficult to stop.