Knee Protectors

steve_b_wales

Don’t waste your money on strap on knee pads. I bought some years ago for ferreting which were so good you could just drop onto your knees, but after a while the straps start to dig in. 
The ones which you get in work trousers are fine, but not waterproof unless your trousers are. 

Just now, Scully said:

Edited by Scully

Hard, rigid, strap-on knee protectors can be dangerous on sloping roofs and slide very easily on 10 degree pitch corrugated sheets.  

For roof work I have started using a pair of fairly soft pads from Poundland.   They probably won’t last very long, and wouldn’t prevent a nail from going into your knee, but they are comfortable on corrugated sheets and they do grip well.

16 hours ago, Modafinale said:

The ones with straps are not good for the rear of your knee 

**This**

Buy yourself a pair of trousers that are able to accept the pads in the fabric. Strap on knee pads cut into the back of your knees and hurt like crazy. Once your legs hurt all you want to do is go home.

I have quite a few sets from trousers with pockets and overalls with the same in knees. Many types of lads for said pockets.

Have foam strap on pads of differing density and two sets of gel strap on types.

I reach for the gel cup strap.on ones everytime for small jobs, I only fasten the bottom strap around my calf's, saves the too strap digging into the back of your knees. If I needed them all day then knee pockets with two sets of pads jammed in, softest to my knees with more dense to floor.  My knees get sore no matter the pads after a while.

I can't believe we have such Wussies and Fannies on this site 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

From the mid 70's till 1989 I used to have to wear rubber knee pads with straps every shift to crawl up and down 300m coal faces sometimes only 2 foot tall for 8 - 12 hours a day sometimes 7 days a week. Not only me but others had to do it also.

So to say "don't wear those with straps they hurt" makes me laugh.

Rant over, carry on. 🤣🤣🤣👍👍

51 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I can't believe we have such Wussies and Fannies on this site 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

From the mid 70's till 1989 I used to have to wear rubber knee pads with straps every shift to crawl up and down 300m coal faces sometimes only 2 foot tall for 8 - 12 hours a day sometimes 7 days a week. Not only me but others had to do it also.

So to say "don't wear those with straps they hurt" makes me laugh.

Rant over, carry on. 🤣🤣🤣👍👍

Was it you as a kid, fetching that Hovis loaf?

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Harrycatcat1, 

Is Tony Capstick, Capstick comes home your favourite song

I will post this for those who don't know what tha means.

I'll tell thee summat the young uns of today wouldn't put up with the working conditions int pit.

"Ooo my knee pad straps are hurtin" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

22 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

check out screwfix trousers and knee pads :good:

I just did that after reading this thread and some of the screwfix feedback about them. I usually find 34 waist too tight but 36 too loose: I followed the advice from one of the reviewers and got a 36... just right so it seems their size claims might be slightly under.  :thanks:

14 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, there's plenty of choice to choose from. I only want something to use occasionally because of the arthritis in my right knee. I will be doing quite a lot  decorating soon, including painting skirting boards throughout the house.

Sitting not kneeling would be my choice for doing skirting boards.