Lathe advice please

Miroku_Dave

So, i'm looking at buying my first lathe, I want it to turn pens, make ferro rod handles, maybe a priest or two and to turn both wood and acrylics. 

Thus far in my research i know i want variable power but that's as far as i've got!

I have a budget of about £300 for the actual lathe, are there any experts out there in PW land who can advise me please?

1 hour ago, Miroku_Dave said:

So, i'm looking at buying my first lathe, I want it to turn pens, make ferro rod handles, maybe a priest or two and to turn both wood and acrylics. 

Thus far in my research i know i want variable power but that's as far as i've got!

I have a budget of about £300 for the actual lathe, are there any experts out there in PW land who can advise me please?

You should pick up a nice lathe secondhand  for that money . For pen making you need a kit . To allow you to turn pen blanks . Lathe wise . One of the Axminster  or record power . The carbine tipped chisels  are handy for a newbee . If you use Facebook there is a great group on there called " Wood chuckers "  a good dust mask and safety glasses or a shield area must . Lots of exotic woods the dust is bad for your lungs . Thats just a start . 

-1798419672020926400.0.jpg

Cheers for the replies gents, I've actually taken the hit and bought a Draper WTL457 550W Variable Speed Mini Wood Lathe 230V from Machine mart. 

Its a very small lathe but I am restricted on space with all my knife making tools but it'll do for a starter i'm sure. 

I'm going to be ordering some pen turning stuff and some chisels today, its all very exciting however the Amy has stamped on my plans and are sending me away for a month. I suppose thats a month of watching you tube videos in preparation though!

I have a wood lathe small one and I improvised due to lack of space with a flip over workbench. Got the idea off you tube. Lathe sits underneath till you need it, then you just flip the workbench over and lathe is now on top. Makes very good use of lack of space if you want all the toys.

9 hours ago, Miroku_Dave said:

Cheers for the replies gents, I've actually taken the hit and bought a Draper WTL457 550W Variable Speed Mini Wood Lathe 230V from Machine mart. 

Its a very small lathe but I am restricted on space with all my knife making tools but it'll do for a starter i'm sure. 

I'm going to be ordering some pen turning stuff and some chisels today, its all very exciting however the Amy has stamped on my plans and are sending me away for a month. I suppose thats a month of watching you tube videos in preparation though!

That is ideal as a starter lathe very much like the Axminster  . Reminds me of my first one made loads on it . The var speed is great low speed on square wood . Get it rounded , up the speed .  The faster the speed and sharp chisel , less sanding . Dont skimp on mask and eye protection . Look forward to seeing some of your work