Fox calls. 3D Printed.

John_R

I have been printing for a few years, and lately made up some items that might be of interest. These are made from PLA and come with a black cord lanyard as shown. At the moment I have light grey made up, but can do other colours.

In the picture there are 4 calls, left to right as follows:

Shell call, made just like a back to back pair of 12 gauge cartridge bases, a shrill whistle sound.

Vole/rodent, similar to the Grouse Hen call. Soft whistle, good harvest time call.

Tenterfield style, can be soft and raspy or very shrill depending on how it is used.

Disc call, similar to the brass ones, but not as loud.

Any single call £9.50, 2 for £17, 3 for 21, 4 for £26. Prices include postage.

EDIT: Further info as per comments below. I have used these all year ( other than the long break due to lockdown ) and I have left them ( and other things ) in pockets, and backpacks in cars, but never dared to leave them in full sunshine/on the dashboard. I mostly use my 3D printer for work related tools, jigs and accessories, some of which do get hot,  but Covid19 has decimated my industry. None of my other PLA parts have suffered ill effects in the 3 years I have been printing. Where possible I use PETG these days, but the PLA did a great job on these little calls. :) Also, I draw all my own designs, none of my items are online/downloads though of course there will be natural similarities.

calls_1a.jpg

Edited by John_R
Clarification

9 minutes ago, wokkywokky said:

If its PLA plastic don't leave it in your car on a hot day, it will melt and deform. Plastics such as ABS, ASA or PETG would have been a better choice as they have a higher glass transition temperature.

You are right in that sense, but I tried PETG and the sound quality was not as good.  I have not tried ABS yet, but so long as they don't get left to soften in the car these will perform very well.

UPDATE:

By way of a combination of trialing a variety of material brands, and also some slight design changes, I have managed to make the same calls from PETG. This has a far higher resistance to high temperatures.  I'm really pleased how they turned out.  I'll keep the price the same as per the opening post to this thread.

PETG callsa.jpg