Gas operated semi auto double discharge

Croohur

Hi there,

I have a cheap Yildiz semi auto that has recently started to double discharge or double fire on a single pull of the trigger. When it first happened I was out in the field and it was a snap shot so I thought i didnt have the stock tight to the shoulder and was "bump stocking" it. Its started to happen a bit more regularly, so I completely stripped the gun down and cleaned it and couldnt see an issue. Is there anything I could be looking for? I use felt wads mainly so I was wondering if the gas ports got a bit blocked could this cause a double discharge. Or is it usually something else? I just gave the area around the gas ports a good soak and scrub and will check tomorrow if that has done anything. Its not an expensive gun, but its been reliable until now and I shoot well with it. So was just hoping to get peoples views or experiences!!!

Did you strip the firing pin right out of it? If your firing pin is being stuck in the forward position then it could come forward onto a primer in the same way an open bolt machine gun does, rather than a double discharge as you would get from an o/u what you are having is a runaway gun. I would check your firing pin and the trigger internals for damage or anything to suggest that the firing pin may be held forward.

If that happened in my semi auto .22 with the 30rd mag things could get interesting!

1 minute ago, Rob85 said:

Did you strip the firing pin right out of it? If your firing pin is being stuck in the forward position then it could come forward onto a primer in the same way an open bolt machine gun does, rather than a double discharge as you would get from an o/u what you are having is a runaway gun. I would check your firing pin and the trigger internals for damage or anything to suggest that the firing pin may be held forward.

If that happened in my semi auto .22 with the 30rd mag things could get interesting!

I took it all completely to bits firing pin trigger and everything else cleaned and re lubricated its been fine for thousands of rounds since 

18 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

For me, I didnt strip the firing pin out. I did put the bolt through an ultrasonic cleaner I have , blew air through it and re lubricated. To be honest the bolt looked sparkling so thats why I didnt strip it down completely. Not saying that it isnt a firing pin issue, but it wasnt something that seemed likely.... another thing to check tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Agree with Rob85 + others ...

My money is on an issue with the bolt housing the firing pin, or trigger mechanism.

A thorough strip, inspect and clean should find the issue ... I can't see how it would be on the gas side.

Take care !!

The only thing I noticed with the trigger was a spring that seemed slightly, and I mean slightly loose. 

22 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That doesn't sound very good, watching with great interest.

No its not. And am assuming a trip to gunsmith will cost as much as the gun is worth. If the gun was worth anything I'd just bring it straight to the gunsmith and not even stress about it.

Could be your trigger sear has worn and as the gun cycles the bolt closes and trigger goes off again with out you pulling it.

Or as you say you didn't hold it tight enough and the gun is jumping forward into your finger, so it's getting fired.

Edited by figgy