House extension roof

Harry136

5 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Yeah so it looks like an extension .

Same with the walls .they like them set back a foot from the original  .again so it doesn't look part of the original  build .(don't understand it myself ) 

We had an extension and were told the above by the architect and planning. Reason was so that it didn’t look like a ‘tenement’ building so basically for aesthetic reasons and for us, the only way to get the extension approved.

2 minutes ago, Harry136 said:

Is that a council/ planning regulation?

Was a planning stipulation for us, not sure about a regulation. We never challenged it as it suited us. Advised by the architect that it needed done to pass council planning permission, but as I say we never bothered questioning it so not sure how it stands if it is not what you want 

8 hours ago, MirokuMK70 said:

We've just been advised the same by our planning department. Really annoying because we have to lose 2 ft of interior space that we cant really afford to... it is in a set of "guidelines" for that read "slavishly followed"  that have really only just come into use.

Is it possible to have the roof running the opposite way to the current building? 

This appears to be a way to counteract the planning issues and with no loss of hight.

8 hours ago, AVB said:

Why not have an extension that looks like the original build rather than an add on.

I questioned that when I had mine done (which is a fairly large stand alone with no others in the same style nearby). 

The answer was that the new part has to look 'subservient' to the original.  That is what they are looking to see - and if they don't see what they want - simple - no permission.

It is bizarre, but that is how the planning people like it - and what they like is what counts (not what you, the owner would like)

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

It’s to do with massing and avoiding the appearance of “terracing”. Generally this will not be applied to large detached houses in huge grounds. If it is a semidetached house on a tight road then it is very important for the street scene. 

My experience is that it is applied in all circumstances regardless of the location and size of house. 

10 hours ago, Harry136 said:

Hi, just started researching for a house extension, I’ve noticed that on a lot of extensions the ridge line is about a foot lower than the original building even though there is no gradient. Any reason why this is done?

There is a big chance you will not need Planning Permission for an extension as it will likely be automatically granted under Permitted Development.

Check out the criteria on the interactive house on the Government Planning Portal.

Link here https://interactive.planningportal.co.uk/

It's pretty common but not applied everywhere.

I've known planners ask for extensions to be stepped back and down but have let it go after pressure from architects.

I've also known it to be a condition of planning and for it to be enforced.

Each case will be different and it could be as simple as asking them to allow it as you want it. If they like the way you approach them and are in a good mood then they could just approve what you want.

Whatever you do try not to get into an arguement about it, that never goes well.

Edd

2 minutes ago, scobydog said:

Mine had to have this stupid step back and slightly lower roof. Both my neighbours 1 attached and the other detached didn't have to do it. Planning insisted on it or it was a no go. 

Change the type of biscuit you offer with tea.  Chocolate hobnobs are probably what you need, maybe even Club biscuits - or even McVities Gold Bar.

Just now, scobydog said:

Don't understand the post John.

Sorry, it was entirely tongue in cheek joke.  Just as when the FEO visits, a satisfactory outcome is helped by tea and biscuits very often.  I weas simply joking that matbe you had not used a sufficiently popular biscuit.  Nothing more sinister than that!

Didn't think it was sinister at all bud, strangely the planning people here never even visited the site. The details were passed to a private building control company and that was it. Only met the planning guy once at the council offices.

Feo always gets choccy hobnobs by the way.