Buckboard Bacon

Jonty

I first had this in the states where it was made by an American friend, it’s bacon made with shoulder rather than belly or loin and it’s really, really good.  I saw some shoulders joints in Asda the other day - they are usually pretty duff cuts when you take the skin off, but as it will be rolled and tied with string before smoking it doesn’t matter so much.

its cure is a mix of Prague powder, salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and black treacle/molasses.  This will sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks before smoking - the smoking will also cook it.  You can eat it like ham, or fry it like bacon, it really does make a killer bacon and egg banjo.  

although the cure ingredients don’t look too well mixed up - they will all be dissolved by tomorrow, I only had some narrow bags so it was difficult to massage everything once it was in the bag.

I’ll post more pics when it’s cured and smoked.

3CE34042-EDE9-4E49-B564-3040D54250A1.jpeg

519476DC-AAC3-4F21-931D-40E714AD0132.jpeg

CD300D94-1CF9-4FDE-8380-CAB41DE5C262.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, snow white said:

How long do you smoke it please as I would not like to over cook it

Hi SW, I’m not exactly sure how long I smoked it for as I didn’t time it as I was cooking it to a target temperature rather than time based.   I think it was maybe 3 - 4 hours.  I smoked it at 95 C until the meat hit an internal temp of 60 C - I use a remote temperature probe to follow its progress.

• 6 months later...

That brilliant I've just cured two of these now this afternoon only two small joints 1.560 kgs and 1.675 kgs so looking forwards to them

should ready next Saturday going to cold smoke them hopefully as well well done sir nicely done