Beginner-pigeon shooting Cheshire/North Wales

Ianthomas

Hello all

Hope everyone is well :)

Glad to be on the forum and enjoying reading through the posts so far.

I'm sure beginners may have asked many of the same questions I have already so will try and use the search function as much as I can.

Basically I'm hoping in the coming weeks/months/years to learn all I can and hopefully begin pigeon shooting , joined the forum as I dont know anybody who is involved so hoping to gain some knowledge if I can, im based on the border of North wales (flintshire) not sure if there is anybody local on here...? 

I come from a game fishing background but hoping to expand and pigeon shooting really appeals to me .. Ive got Archie coats pigeon shooting book on order so look forwards to learning more ...

Anyway thanks for having me :)

10 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Not far from you. Plenty of pigeons to go at. Good luck with securing permissions. 

I would happily take you out if you have some cultivated land to shoot over. Show you what I’d be looking for and how to set up etc. 

Hi Walkedup

Thanks very much id really appreciate that any help regarding pigeon shooting or shooting in general would be a big help, I do quite a bit of game fishing but had hoped to begin shooging but not knowing anyone it can be quite difficult but I'm determined to start from the beginning and learn as much as i can :)

10 hours ago, clangerman said:

i would start by finding some perms and learn how to find them everything else you need to know the main boys on here can tell you good luck 

Thanks clangerman will try and find some as soon as I can , never know I may fall lucky 

1 hour ago, sitty tree said:

welcome  fella .

Thank you mate

Welcome to the forum, I like your attitude and enthusiasm towards the sport and wish you good luck in obtaining permissions, if you're ever up in the south Cumbria area send me a pm and I will gladly take you out for the day, ( it will be a few weeks before I'm up and about though), 👍

27 minutes ago, rapid .25 said:

Welcome to the forum, I like your attitude and enthusiasm towards the sport and wish you good luck in obtaining permissions, if you're ever up in the south Cumbria area send me a pm and I will gladly take you out for the day, ( it will be a few weeks before I'm up and about though), 👍

Thank you rapid.25 , ill travel anywhere if it means gaining some experience,  I work shifts so have some decent time off mid week so I'll keep in touch if it is ok? Hope you're up on your feet soon.

I was just attracted to pigeon shooting as I think maybe once I've picked up some knowledge and basics it may be more accessible to me than walked up shooting etc..financially and and gaining permission in mindm

Id really like to learn everything I can and would happily serve my time learning.

Thank you, take care

Ian

12 hours ago, Ianthomas said:

as just attracted to pigeon shooting as I think maybe once I've picked up some knowledge and basics it may be more accessible to me than walked up shooting etc..financially and and gaining permission in mind

That probably isn’t correct . My walked up days cost between £35 and £60 per day last year. One of my DIY syndicates in North Wales is £300 for the year (365 days vermin rabbit/fox/crow/pigeon, shoot alternate Saturdays during the season  500 pheasants, woodcock, mallard, hare), on just one of the ten game days I shot 14 head of game. In my experience it is much harder to find decent pigeon shooting and permissions are like gold dust in a heavily populated area. If you are still around here in February I will invite you down the the syndicate AGM, held in Hinderton. 

6 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

That probably isn’t correct . My walked up days cost between £35 and £60 per day last year. One of my DIY syndicates in North Wales is £300 for the year (365 days vermin rabbit/fox/crow/pigeon, shoot alternate Saturdays during the season  500 pheasants, woodcock, mallard, hare), on just one of the ten game days I shot 14 head of game. In my experience it is much harder to find decent pigeon shooting and permissions are like gold dust in a heavily populated area. If you are still around here in February I will invite you down the the syndicate AGM, held in Hinderton. 

Hi Walkedup

It shows how much I know about game shooting 🤣

Like I say I'm new to shooting in general and maybe a lot of the publications/adverts I have read the last few weeks dont target the likes of myself with their adverts , hence the reason I thought other forms of game shooting would be beyond me financially (maybe I just read the wrong things)

That's one of the reasons I joined the forum so I could actually talk and learn from people :)

thank you for the offer , ill still be around..

and like ive said before would really appreciate any help from anybody

Ive been on the clays local and next weekend I hope to get down to mickley hall to have some lessons to improve... all in anticipation for if/when I can get chance to get in the field.

Thanks again walkedup 

Ian

1 hour ago, Good shot? said:

Sorry didn't realise on my earlier post you had no permissions yet.

If I had more than one or two pigeon currently on my perms in Cheshire you would be welcome to a day out.

thank you quick shot I appreciate that.

Ill always be around, even if uts just a "reccy" id be willing to tag along to learn

Hi Ian, The good thing about pigeon shooting is that there isn't really that much to it. A bit of basic equipment, camo netting a couple of poles and half a dozen decoys isn't a bad starting point. If you can run to it a flapper, or pigeon magnet. Get an idea of when there are drillings, crops, harvesting etc. There was one very good post on Talk from the Field (I think by MarshMan) on this topic. Finding pigeons is the key event. Flocks of pigeons although exciting are a dead loss. Good luck on finding some permissions. Approach landowners/tenants smartly dressed with licence and insurance to hand. If you can, find out his or her name address them accordingly and politely which may come as a bit of a shock. If possible, outline a problem, for example, if there were pigeons all over his rape and guess what? You are the solution.

19 hours ago, Ianthomas said:

Thank you rapid.25 , ill travel anywhere if it means gaining some experience,  I work shifts so have some decent time off mid week so I'll keep in touch if it is ok? Hope you're up on your feet soon.

I was just attracted to pigeon shooting as I think maybe once I've picked up some knowledge and basics it may be more accessible to me than walked up shooting etc..financially and and gaining permission in mindm

Id really like to learn everything I can and would happily serve my time learning.

Thank you, take care

Ian

Hi Ian, you're welcome to keep in touch, it will be around three weeks before I'm anywhere near up and about, I won't be able to shoot for a while but i will be able to take you out on my permissions and show you a few ways of setting up ect and you are more than welcome to do the shooting, send me a pm and I will let you have my mobile number, regards Ian.

On 02/10/2020 at 21:43, WalkedUp said:

Agree with above entirely. Shoot with walked up regular. Think as starting point for next year. come along to are annual meeting and see the team. If you get perms in meantime great.

2 hours ago, worrall26 said:

Agree with above entirely. Shoot with walked up regular. Think as starting point for next year. come along to are annual meeting and see the team. If you get perms in meantime great.

Worrall26 

I'd really appreciate an invite next year ill still be around so any help would be really appreciated, I really am a beginner when it comes to game shooting but I really do appreciate any help and advice and would be very grateful for any opportunities given to me.

Ian