Man gets arrested after buying an air rifle and taking it home after a few drinks?

HuskyRich

https://www.hampshirelive.news/news/hampshire-news/armed-police-air-rifle-drunk-4562680

Not sure what to make of this?
Slow news day? Over reaction from the police? Irresponsible action of the man involved? Neighbour with nothing better to do than nark on their neighbor?

Obviously have to be careful involving booze and guns, or just don't do it at all which is the best option - but it's not like a lot of us have never had (more than) one or two on a shoot day and gone out perfectly in control of our faculties

Wonder how actually drunk the man was or if there was any aggravating factors although nothing is mentioned in the article?

The news now a days is like some sort of reality show trying to grab the best head lines and make things worse than they actually are. I was only thinking yesterday as a kid watching the bcc news with some of the old news readers. I was thinking how can they ready that story about a plan crash that killed every one and some thing else like factory closes in the same tone and expression. But not now a days thats long gone for sure. They ham it right up and and really try and grab the ratings like some soap 

I have been guilty of drinking too much post shoot, since becoming a father of three I seem to have reduced how much I drink and so very rarely drink one or two in a day. Looking back I think mine and others drunkenness was awful and detracted from the sport. Thankfully though guns were always put away properly before heavy drinking and there would always be a designated driver with SGC to take responsibility for the guns under 72 hour rule. Sometimes that would be me. I would then drive my fellow guns to straight a night out, oil and put away all guns into my safe then drive back to meet them. Then have to get dropped off at my car the next day. Too much effort once you have children! 

A drink on shoot day has always been part of the day, over the day the odd nip from a hip flask or slow him and champers isn't going to affect you unless some medical reason. After a shoot when guns away no reason why not to enjoy yourselves with a few drinks. Too many snowflakes these days, if you don't like it don't go simple.

1 minute ago, figgy said:

A drink on shoot day has always been part of the day, over the day the odd nip from a hip flask or slow him and champers isn't going to affect you unless some medical reason. After a shoot when guns away no reason why not to enjoy yourselves with a few drinks. Too many snowflakes these days, if you don't like it don't go simple.

I have no issue with it as long as common sense prevails and for the most part it does.
Although, I have seen some pretty borderline behaviour from people who definitely don't know their limits very well

A few seasons back now after lunch one of the guns on the shoot I beat for was well sozzeled  so much so for safety reasons the keeper took his gun and banned him for the rest of the day ..... the action was well accepted by the other guns 

Edited by hodge911

1 hour ago, HuskyRich said:

I have no issue with it as long as common sense prevails and for the most part it does.
Although, I have seen some pretty borderline behaviour from people who definitely don't know their limits very well

That's going to happen as it does everywhere else. Some just can't stop themselves.

4 minutes ago, HuskyRich said:

Do go on?

There must be. Armed response for reports of a man entering his own home with an air rifle? Then it being confiscated, despite it not being illegal to have an air rifle in your home and be drunk. Or is that all it takes these days for an armed response?

10 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

There must be. Armed response for reports of a man entering his own home with an air rifle? Then it being confiscated, despite it not being illegal to have an air rifle in your home and be drunk. Or is that all it takes these days for an armed response?

If the man in question was known to the police by having a criminal record then he can't own or use an air rifle. 

12 minutes ago, Mice! said:

If the man in question was known to the police by having a criminal record then he can't own or use an air rifle. 

Would help if they put that in the news article if that was the case 🙄

Edited by HuskyRich

10 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Good point and possibly one of those things we don't know. We don't have the whole story and the police statement seems a bit vague :)

2 minutes ago, clangerman said:

where do people get this rubbish half the chaps i shoot with have criminal records 

I did the Lantra course Sunday,  a fair amount of it concerned the law around firearms,  if you have been imprisoned for less than 3 years its 5 years before you can use a firearm,  more than 3 years and you can't use them again,  I didn't realise air rifles were included. 

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I did the Lantra course Sunday,  a fair amount of it concerned the law around firearms,  if you have been imprisoned for less than 3 years its 5 years before you can use a firearm,  more than 3 years and you can't use them again,  I didn't realise air rifles were included. 

All Air Weapons are treated as firearms for that part of the law.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

air-weapons-a-brief-guide-to-safety.pdf

The above PDF is from the home office, it doesn't mention being in possession of an air rifle, while in drink, as an offence.

My guess would be the person is  either a prohibited person or was carrying it unslipped, and the neighbours who called the police had photographic evidence.

Edited by Newbie to this