Man gets arrested after buying an air rifle and taking it home after a few drinks?

HuskyRich

5 minutes ago, clangerman said:

why are stores selling air rifles only asking for nothing more than photo id must be a lot of crims with air rifles out there who should not have them 

Because that is the Law.  I persume the RFD informs the local firearms enquiry team of purchases and it will be down to the FET to decide if the person who has purchased it is a prohibited person.

Edited by Newbie to this

15 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Because that is the Law.  I persume the RFD informs the local firearms enquiry team of purchases and it will be down to the FET to decide if the person who has purchased it is a prohibited person.

As far as I’m aware there is no requirement in law for a RFD ( or anyone selling an air rifle ) to inform the police. 

8 hours ago, figgy said:

A drink on shoot day has always been part of the day, over the day the odd nip from a hip flask or slow him and champers isn't going to affect you unless some medical reason. After a shoot when guns away no reason why not to enjoy yourselves with a few drinks. Too many snowflakes these days, if you don't like it don't go simple.

NO person that has consumed alcohol should be in possession of a firearm you cant call someone a snowflake when it is common sense no matter what they always did on shoot day 

44 minutes ago, clangerman said:

i think the rfd have some neck demanding a transfer fee for a air rifle while at the same time they are selling them when they know full well the buyer maybe barred from ownership talk about double standards 

Are you suggesting RFD's should have access to the PNC?

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

Are you suggesting RFD's should have access to the PNC?

of coarse not but they could easily have a declaration your not prohibited in place to go with photo id this is partly a failing by plod if your main the cause for the ridiculous restrictions we have you should enforce them not just the ones that take your fancy 

4 hours ago, Scully said:

As far as I’m aware there is no requirement in law for a RFD ( or anyone selling an air rifle ) to inform the police. 

Correct. Even in Scotland with the requirement to hold an Air Weapon Certificate, an RFD does not tell the police about transactions involving air guns. They may record your details from your certificate but that’s for warranty records. 

Interestingly, there’s no charge if you change your address for a FAC or SGC but you have to fill out an Air Weapon Variation form for a change of address at a cost of £20

8 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

NO person that has consumed alcohol should be in possession of a firearm you cant call someone a snowflake when it is common sense no matter what they always did on shoot day 

That's just it I can call them a snowflake. To me that's exactly what they are. My veiw differd from yours and that's fine.  

21 hours ago, figgy said:

That's going to happen as it does everywhere else. Some just can't stop themselves.

I'm very much with you - in that a sensible drink for those who want it within limits is fine as part of the day.  Those who choose to abstain should also be respected.

Those who "just can't stop themselves" should ponder if they are suitable to handle guns.  If you really can't behave sensibly when drink is available, you have an illness type problem and it would be a reason for a refusal of a 'ticket'.

No shoot/shooting activity should tolerate people who are unfit through drink taking any part where shooting/gun handling takes place.

If I saw a neighbour walking into his house with a rifle I wouldn’t call the police because:

a) I know my neighbour shoots and holds a SGC

b) I would recognise the gun as being an air rifle 

Most members of the public WOULD (and in my opinion SHOULD) call the police because:

a) Their neighbour does NOT hold a SGC or FAC

b) To their eyes the gun could be a high velocity rifle

Let the police attend and sort it out, 99% of the time they will find there is no problem. 1% of the time they might prevent a murder or suicide.

In this case if the guy was arrested I agree it sounds like there is more to it.

19 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Sec 12 licensing  act 1872.drunk in charge of a loaded weapon. A pellet in the barrel is loaded, doesn't have to be cooked. I suspect there's other laws that cover it too. 

I seem to recall reading that a pellet in a mag is considered loaded in air guns.