Workmen in house when unoccupied

flyeruk

Refuse absolutely. He works for you. There's an old saying that he who pays the piper call the tune. I had double glazing installed in mid-September and as they over-ran...their fault...they had to do two days additional with each a finish at 12pm as I had to be out from then until 3pm. 

If he has a family emergency and needs to leave immediately how does he secure the property? Or if you've actually given him a key to the property and then gone off and left him? So who's to say he doesn't have a mate take that away and cut a spare?

So he could lock the door from the inside and the merrily set to and when he finds you cabinet use his equipment to oen it and then shoot himself dead. I am sure that your FEO will just put it down to bad luck and advise you to try not to do it again in the near future. 

25 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Refuse absolutely. He works for you. There's an old saying that he who pays the piper call the tune. I had double glazing installed in mid-September and as they over-ran...their fault...they had to do two days additional with each a finish at 12pm as I had to be out from then until 3pm. 

If he has a family emergency and needs to leave immediately how does he secure the property? Or if you've actually given him a key to the property and then gone off and left him? So who's to say he doesn't have a mate take that away and cut a spare?

So he could lock the door from the inside and the merrily set to and when he finds you cabinet use his equipment to oen it and then shoot himself dead. I am sure that your FEO will just put it down to bad luck and advise you to try not to do it again in the near future. 

Or he could just walk past any other house, use his equipment to let himself in and then shoot himself dead.

Or alternatively he could do his work and shut the door behind him like thousands of other tradesmen every single day.

Of course if the OP has made a point of telling him he has guns and the tradesman is a criminal then it could all go badly wrong.

There are no rules and if you can't trust the tradesman to not rummage through your possessions and help himself then I'm sure you wouldn't be hiring him in the first place.

Edd

38 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Or he could just walk past any other house, use his equipment to let himself in and then shoot himself dead.

Or alternatively he could do his work and shut the door behind him like thousands of other tradesmen every single day.

Of course if the OP has made a point of telling him he has guns and the tradesman is a criminal then it could all go badly wrong.

There are no rules and if you can't trust the tradesman to not rummage through your possessions and help himself then I'm sure you wouldn't be hiring him in the first place.

Edd

This. Thankfully, a post of common sense. 

Speaking as said tradesman, I've had keys to lots of houses, some very big houses, lots of farms and lots of your more "average" houses.

Never has it entered my head to go where I dont need to go. Far to busy trying to sort out the mess your diy has caused. 😂😂😂

Thanks to all those carp diyers for keeping me in work btw.👍

7 hours ago, manthing said:

Speaking as said tradesman, I've had keys to lots of houses, some very big houses, lots of farms and lots of your more "average" houses.

Never has it entered my head to go where I dont need to go. Far to busy trying to sort out the mess your diy has caused. 😂😂😂

Thanks to all those carp diyers for keeping me in work btw.👍

And this. 👍

2 hours ago, GingerCat said:

I've only know 1 incident in nearly 20 years of a tradesman nicking anything from a house they were working in and then it was his apprentice. 

Lol not worried about anything else,apart from my guns,nothing else worth nicking.

99% of tradesmen are honest guys who you can trust. They know that anything they do untoward would jeopardise their reputation and future job prospects, and the first fingers would be pointed their way.

Of course there is the exception that proves the rule.

I've had tradesmen in my house alone, and I don't think any of them have ever been aware that shotguns are on the premises. My cabinet is well out of the way, as all should be. I make a conscious effort to take all cabinet keys with me if I am not there as well.

I don't think you doing anything wrong.

Being a trades man for 30 years,most quotations would be unlimited free access during work hours.

I have had keys and work alone in countless property over the years but most of my customers know me for years,think some might have tested me by leaving money and stuff about but I would of got 100% pass.

a lot of people have said they prefer me to do the works rather than loads of different trades coming and going.

I wouldn't trust anyone to have keys to my house having been in building game for decades I have seen what goes on,so only if you know the person would I leave them.