New SXS

DUNKS

I put this up in the general guns section but not in this elite section. So for those who only look  in here is my new gun. An early Christmas present from my son.

George Sherwood of Portsmouth 1840 ish muzzle loader in not bad condition with Damascus barrels . Only original black powder proof. I do intend to shoot it!

Just been to Mr Kranks for new nipples and some percussion caps.

MUZZLE LOADER 009.JPG

MUZZLE LOADER 003.JPG

MUZZLE LOADER 005.JPG

MUZZLE LOADER 004.JPG

Was hoping it was placed in the SXS section. What went wrong?

2 hours ago, Feltwad said:

Good shooting with your new gun  use a volume load of 2.1/2 drms black powder to 1oz of shot  and you cannot go wrong it is a good load for both game and clays .

Feltwad

Using  the Skychief method of course!:good:

18 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

If you Google George Sherwood,Portsmouth gunmaker you`ll see an entry that gives Mr. Sherwood a walk on part in the last duel to be fought in England.

Now  that ia very interesting. Goodness knows how you found it. Thanks a million. My gun could have been stood in the corner while the practiced.

Whilst doing some confirmatory research online I unexpectedly came across a reference that I had not seen before despite considerable research into local gunmakers. In 2014 Yorkshire auctioneers Tennants sold a 1.5 inch percussion punt gun in fairly rough condidition. Originally valued at much less, it sold for £2.200 so may have had some life left in it. It bears the name of George Sherwood, a Portsmouth gunmaker who was in business up until c1843. I`m particularily interested in tracing the whereabouts of this gun for historical research purposes. Has anyone seen it? Is it your gun? Regards, Nick.

16 hours ago, mudpatten said:

Whilst doing some confirmatory research online I unexpectedly came across a reference that I had not seen before despite considerable research into local gunmakers. In 2014 Yorkshire auctioneers Tennants sold a 1.5 inch percussion punt gun in fairly rough condidition. Originally valued at much less, it sold for £2.200 so may have had some life left in it. It bears the name of George Sherwood, a Portsmouth gunmaker who was in business up until c1843. I`m particularily interested in tracing the whereabouts of this gun for historical research purposes. Has anyone seen it? Is it your gun? Regards, Nick.

The  punt gun in question was sold  Wednesday  the 17th  September  2014  at Tennants Militaria auction. Lot 508 it was entered in the catalogue  has a percussion large bore punt gun by Sherwood , Portsmouth with a  106 inch  iron barrel  octagonal  at the breech with traces of  sludge green paint the lock plate engraved with duck shooting and the makers name. Fitted with a folding trigger, a walnut half stock with a checked grip, the for end  set with a large iron ring and two fittings in the middle of the barrel  the butt had a large piece removed and a steel but plate the overall length of the gun was  123 inches . I am afraid I do not have a photo of the gun but I do remember seen it at the auction .

Feltwad

On 03/10/2020 at 16:10, figgy said:

Very nice, give us an update when you've shot game with it.

Will you make up rolled paper loads for quick reloads in the field?

No game. Just a play at the clays.

On 03/10/2020 at 18:35, mudpatten said:

Wish it was. Mine is a mere 16 gauge.

My partner in research has located the current owner of the punt gun and the actual story behind it is highly unusual. The iron barrel, it is`nt damascus, is that of an Indian rampart gun which was brought back to the UK early in the 19th century. It probably started life as a match or flintlock but this was removed and replaced by a percussion lock bearing the name of George Sherwood of Portsmouth. The question is, did Sherwood convert it to a punt gun? Sherwood himself was in debtors prison in 1845 and died a short while later so it might be that the gun found it`s way back here, to some unknown corner of the UK, where it was converted to a punt gun which just happened to utilize a lock randomly bearing the name of Sherwood. The research continues!