Water meter.

samboy

Hi gang.

I've just had a water meter fitted. My bill should go down from £56 to £22 a month. I don't use much, Shower a night , washing machine maybe twice

a week.  I live on my own so it could be a good thing. I've got 2 years to change my mind and have it removed if i'm not happy.

We'll see.

23 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

I've just had a water meter fitted. My bill should go down from £56 to £22 a month. I don't use much, Shower a night , washing machine maybe twice

a week.  I live on my own so it could be a good thing. I've got 2 years to change my mind and have it removed if i'm not happy.

We'll see.

Our water bill (none metered) for the year was £370, we changed to metered beginning of 2017 and it went down to £290 per year, three years on and with all the increases its now £398 per year.

Severn Trent Water, Three bed semi, two people and average water use.

25 minutes ago, old'un said:

How does a garden pond help reduce your water bill?

you top up with water that dont go down the drain thus saving sewerage rates

likewise the surface water

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

There not fitting water meters to save water or your money 

there doing it to increase the profit 

remember any leaks your side of the meter you pay for 

washing the car watering the garden all cost 

😁

16 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Had a water meter fitted for the last 35yrs and never had any doubt it saved us a large amount of money.  6 mth bill just arrived and it is £88.  That includes a bit of garden watering through the hot period as well.

How can there be such big differences? Samboy unmetered was £672 per year, down to £264 metered, mine metered £398 per year and yours £176 per year, what water authority are you with?

I believe your water rates are based on what council rate band your property is in, mine is band C.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, where did they fit Meter ?

They fitted my one in the cupboard under the sink in the kitchen. Took him an hour. It was free. Had it been in the front garden it would 

of been about £200. On the pavement it would of been £300 plus.

I am on a meter, and paid £65 (Fresh water £20, Drainage £14.50 and surface water £28.50) for the last 6 months and £63 for the 6 months before that.  So under £130 a year - and that includes a hefty surcharge (just under half the total) for surface water drainage (can't use soakaways for various reasons).  One person household with roughly one clothes wash a week and a dishwasher.  Don't use hose ever and average water usage (from bill) is 0.08 cubic metres daily.

Interesting, I'm not metered and I pay 200 a year as not main drainage. Neighbour is metered  and they pay 3 times as much and their household is half the size . A friend went from unmetered to metered and his bill tripped over night and another claims a big discount.  Think ill stay as I am. 

5 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

I am on meter and pay £15/month.

2 bed terrace, band A, live on me own 

Northumbria Water, best thing I ever did, Meter is on the path, fitted free.

I totally agree. I pay £19.00 per month since having a meter, previously without the meter I was paying £53. Its saved us over half the costs

15 hours ago, old'un said:

How can there be such big differences? Samboy unmetered was £672 per year, down to £264 metered, mine metered £398 per year and yours £176 per year, what water authority are you with?

I believe your water rates are based on what council rate band your property is in, mine is band C.

I'm second from top rates wise, high valuation property so  now don't get me on council rates as that is contentious.  Over £2000 a year just to empty two bins and trim the grass through the village but not repair the miriad pot holes in the lanes leading to the village. Now, see you've started me off:mad:  You must use a lot more water than we do, but there again we don't go out of our way to save it. We do have five water tubs catching rain water from the rooves for the garden plants.  Rarely use any to wash cars. Power wash the Landie about three times a year if it needs a service or mot. 

17 hours ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

if you have

garden pond

rainwater into soakaway

you will save even more if you  tell them

I think you’ve just saved me some money Captain - thank you.  I was plumbing in a new sink and discovered that the drain I intended to use was a soak away and that all,the other rainwater drains were too.  I’ve just downloaded the rebate application form - thanks again for the info👍

18 minutes ago, Jonty said:

I think you’ve just saved me some money Captain - thank you.  I was plumbing in a new sink and discovered that the drain I intended to use was a soak away and that all,the other rainwater drains were too.  I’ve just downloaded the rebate application form - thanks again for the info👍

excellent

1 minute ago, shaun4860 said:

My meter was attached to the stopcock outside on the path

:shaun:

Hello, this would be done if no place to fit inside the property, just keep the window clean so you can check reading if any despite on bill, 

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, this would be done if no place to fit inside the property, just keep the window clean so you can check reading if any dispute on bill