Just the thing for a rainy Saturday afternoon.

JDog

Those on this forum who have the misfortune of knowing this Old Codger may not believe that I used to be quite a Rocker in my time. My teen years coincided with some of the very best that music had to offer and since that time the quality has never been equalled. I was lucky to have seen some of the best bands in their prime in the seventies and early eighties and I have been reliving my youth today in my outside office with headphones restricting the noise.

The following is not a definitive list but these are some of my favourites from that period.

Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter.

Cream - White Room/Sunshine of your love.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb.

Deep Purple - Smoke on the water.

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven.

On a different note as it were an honourable mention must go to Sergei Prokofiev one of the greatest composers of all time. He was slightly bonkers which may have given rise to his genius. Many will have heard his 'Dance of the Knights' a most evocative and foreboding piece of music.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, JDog said:

Not a bad start, add a little Ted Nugent from about 1974 (Stranglehold) and let the list grow!:good:

57 minutes ago, JDog said:

Those on this forum who have the misfortune of knowing this Old Codger may not believe that I used to be quite a Rocker in my time. My teen years coincided with some of the very best that music had to offer and since that time the quality has never been equalled. I was lucky to have seen some of the best bands in their prime in the seventies and early eighties and I have been reliving my youth today in my outside office with headphones restricting the noise.

The following is not a definitive list but these are some of my favourites from that period.

On a different note as it were an honourable mention must go to Sergei Prokofiev one of the greatest composers of all time. He was slightly bonkers which may have given rise to his genius. Many will have heard his 'Dance of the Knights' a most evocative and foreboding piece of music.

Could not agree more the opening on gimme shelter has got to be one of the coolest ever. 

8 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Heh 1 Heh! you puppies.....just relived my early days watching the life story of Vera Lynn:yahoo:

Must admit that after that period I drifted more to Country & Western, Johnny Cash, of course good old Willie Nelson etc etc.

Yes, but apart from that you are a reasonably sensible person!:w00t:

Apart from partly knowing Led Zeppelin ( Stairway To Heaven ) , I will have to pass on the rest , I still think the 60s was the decade of the century when it come to the bands and the music they created .

51 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Heh 1 Heh! you puppies.....just relived my early days watching the life story of Vera Lynn:yahoo:

Must admit that after that period I drifted more to Country & Western, Johnny Cash, of course good old Willie Nelson etc etc.

Not quite ready to see the life story of Vera Lynn , but one of the first live shows I went to see on Yarmouth sea front was Matt Monroe ( free ticket ) and one of the best shows I saw in London that you would have liked was Johnny Cash and the Carter family , nearer to home I did see Box Car Willie but that's another story .

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

from the man who went to see Al Joulson ...live

Box car Willie is great, he is a better Willie Nelson than Willie Nelson 😂

On a rainy day I like to tinker either in my study or garage, listening to all the songs I've shazamed. 

I'm enjoying early Delta blues lately.  Listened to some early rolling stones the other night on YouTube, a programme on Vietnam war and songs about it. Paint it black.

18 minutes ago, Surfer said:

If your doing it do it right 😂 

on the subject of dark chocolate............i eat less and less of it now....as it seems to taste very salty...yet looking on the ingredients side of it....they swear blind there is no salt in it......strange....makes me very very thirsty...so i stay away from it now..

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

on the subject of dark chocolate............i eat less and less of it now....as it seems to taste very salty...yet looking on the ingredients side of it....they swear blind there is no salt in it......strange....makes me very very thirsty...so i stay away from it now..

😂 yes taste changes I only have red wine and bornville now both make me thirsty lol

8 hours ago, JDog said:

have been reliving my youth today in my outside office with headphones restricting the noise.

What you get up to in the privacy of your office is your own business, I would not advocate posting it on a public forum. People might get the wrong impression.😁