Firearms storage

hafod

can anyone shed any light on this problem for me 

My issuing force Gwent police sent my shotguns to a gun shop in Bridgend in july for storage its a long story but nothing serious 

I have spoken my local gun shop and RFD this morning and they have told me that guns are usually sent to them for storage in the gwent area 

So technically they should never have been sent out of the gwent force area in the first place due to the covid 19 restrictions 

If this is the case have I got a case to demand that gwent police reimbursed me for the cost and transfer fees for shipping my guns back to me which is going to cost me a small fortune by the sound of things 

technically in Wales I'm not allowed to travel to Bridgend to collect them because i have to travel through a number of boroughs to get there would anyone know a way around this 

Why did they send them off to be stored there? This is half a story with half the facts.

I imagine if you had to send them off to be stored, then the Police don't care who they send them to, they probably just have a duty to ensure they are securely stored with someone who is legally allowed to do so. 

Whether that's convenient for you or not probably didn't even cross their mind, they've got other things to be getting on with. 

Which RFD are they with? Why will it cost a small fortune? I imagine if they had stored them at your local RFD they would have also charged you to store them? 

If the small fortune you reference you mean you're thinking of getting the guns sent to your local RFD, then just wait 2 weeks, the local lockdown will most likely have ended by then and you can just go and pick them up, if you are allowed them back?

1 hour ago, hafod said:

My issuing force Gwent police sent my shotguns to a gun shop in Bridgend in july for storage its a long story but nothing serious 

I have spoken my local gun shop and RFD this morning and they have told me that guns are usually sent to them for storage in the gwent area 

So technically they should never have been sent out of the gwent force area in the first place due to the covid 19 restrictions 

If this is the case have I got a case to demand that gwent police reimbursed me for the cost and transfer fees for shipping my guns back to me which is going to cost me a small fortune by the sound of things 

technically in Wales I'm not allowed to travel to Bridgend to collect them because i have to travel through a number of boroughs to get there would anyone know a way around this 

Take the scenic route. Sorry, it was just begging for it. :innocent:

Your P&CC is Jeff Cuthbert BSc MCIPD. You could politely rattle his cage.

1 hour ago, hafod said:

Nothing serious?

Strange that they wanted them held by an RFD but it was "nothing serious."

10 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Why did they send them off to be stored there? This is half a story with half the facts.

I imagine if you had to send them off to be stored, then the Police don't care who they send them to, they probably just have a duty to ensure they are securely stored with someone who is legally allowed to do so. 

Whether that's convenient for you or not probably didn't even cross their mind, they've got other things to be getting on with. 

Which RFD are they with? Why will it cost a small fortune? I imagine if they had stored them at your local RFD they would have also charged you to store them? 

If the small fortune you reference you mean you're thinking of getting the guns sent to your local RFD, then just wait 2 weeks, the local lockdown will most likely have ended by then and you can just go and pick them up, if you are allowed them back?

Why indeed

I wasn't consulted on it if I was I would have opted for the sportsmans in Newport thats only10 miles away from me not keeans in Bridgend its a 123 mile round trip 

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Nothing serious?

Strange that they wanted them held by an RFD but it was "nothing serious."

All this stemmed from the covid lockdown in March

in short red tape that was the problem in my case its all sorted out now and I've had my certificates i just want my guns back that's all 

Edited by hafod

17 minutes ago, hafod said:

in short red tape that was the problem in my case its all sorted out now and I've had my certificates i just want my guns back that's all 

They took your guns off you because of the Covid lockdown? 

22 minutes ago, hafod said:

If you must know heres the reason why .

My mothers death , funeral arrangements, covid lockdown , expired shotgun certificate , no office staff to issue a temporary certificate, and an employer who wasnt very understanding at the time because i was a key worker

it all came together in march so I had a lot on my plate at the time 

It was the perfect storm a comedy of errors i suppose you couldnt really write it for a two ronnies comedy sketch tbh

I've had my certificates back that bit is sorted out I'm irratated by the fact that they sent them to  a RFD 60 miles away when my local RFD is 10 miles down the road that's my point 

Edited by hafod

9 minutes ago, hafod said:

If you must know heres the reason why .

My mothers death , funeral arrangements, covid lockdown , expired certificate , and an employer who wasnt at all very understanding at the time because i was a key worker

it all came together in march so I had a lot on my plate at the time 

It was the perfect storm a comedy of errors i suppose you couldnt really write it for a two ronnies comedy sketch tbh

Sorry for your loss, hope you get sorted soon .

1 minute ago, johnphilip said:

Sorry for your loss, hope you get sorted soon .

Cheers the paperwork is all done its all back im just irratated by the fact they decided to lodge them 60 miles away and i cant go and get them atm 

I can’t really offer any advice as I have no experience of this, but I genuinely hope you took pics of all your guns, or they were in slips. The ozzers don’t exactly have a good reputation for looking after the guns which come into their possession in these circumstances. 
I hope everything ends up satisfactory for you anyhow. 👍

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

They could ship them to a near rfd for you to collect 

I.ve been told today by my local RFD that will be 8 months storage and 23 quid per gun

something to do with them being shipped individually apparently don't know if that's right or not 

plus his pull out of it and there's 3 of them not cheap not by a long run these are 3 brand new guns bought within the last 2 years so I hope there not trashed I really don't lot of moneys worth to me 

42 minutes ago, hafod said:

Ed i would be very greatfull if you would do that i really would 

Thanks for the offer edd 

I have just got off the phone to keeans now and according to them there is no entry in their register for my guns or from gwent police 

They don't usually have anything from gwent mainly South Wales police which makes sense 

I had better get in touch with headquarters in cwmbran on Monday morning and see what the hell is going on here 

if its anything like here they could possibly be in police storage where they keep evidence ,know of two cases of siezed shotguns one was due to a death which i had to go an collect and put on my ticket the other was due to a false alligation which involved about 10 guns that basc sorted out and the owner rang 101 to arrange pickup from the same place ,at no point was he contacted about them by the police and without basc would of kissed em goodbye without thousands in legal fees

which reminds me need to sort some cover for this type of thing now its been dropped by them.

I drove all the way from Dorset to haverfordwest police station 3 years ago in blizzard conditions to pick up my shotgun, to be told at the door that the officer wasn't in who was dealing with it, he had taken holiday and could I come back in 2 weeks after it being organised for me to arrive. 

Bet it's still sat there. Good luck finding out where yours is 🤞

On 03/10/2020 at 20:52, strimmer_13 said:

I drove all the way from Dorset to haverfordwest police station 3 years ago in blizzard conditions to pick up my shotgun, to be told at the door that the officer wasn't in who was dealing with it, he had taken holiday and could I come back in 2 weeks after it being organised for me to arrive. 

Bet it's still sat there. Good luck finding out where yours is 🤞

If it was in Haverfordwest station it wouldn't have been hard to find, it would be in an interview room with lots of others stood up around the walls of the room in various plastic bags and paper sacks.