Some new knives and my new hobby!

Miroku_Dave

Here’s a few of blades that I’ve just finished. I used some nice woods and had a bit of fun with these.

Ive left the steel a bit rough, these are knives to be used and abused but still look a bit pretty. Couldn’t be happier! 

On a different note, The missus has just bought me a lathe as a 20th wedding anniversary present so I’ve had a go at turning some Pens. It’s a bit addictive! I used mainly woods but then tried a block of recycled plastic and it’s turned out amazing! I can see this getting expensive! 

57C277D1-A10D-454D-BC12-5404C0E487AA.jpeg

5CE9E308-39D3-410E-8B95-44D6AFE5303A.jpeg

Lovely work, did you get a purely wood working lathe? I'm trying to get a small engineering lathe myself on the likes of evilbay but at present even well clapped out 2nd hand ones are going for silly prices, or decent priced ones will not post to northern ireland 🙁

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2020 at 15:38, Big Al said:

Love those knives! A lovely smooth grind - I take it you have a belt sander?

Is the black wood bog oak? I've tried a bit with it and while it looks great, it splits very easily. 

Top job.

Thanks Al, 

Yes its bog oak mate, I buy it from GFS Knife supplies and so far haven't had any splitting. Its hard as rock though and a nightmare to sand! I have a bet sander from downland engineering but saving the pennies to upgrade to a proper job one!

On 26/11/2020 at 08:46, Morkin said:

Got to say knifes look good did you make the blades from scratch or do them yourself ? I've been thinking of making some and was told old land rover leaf springs are good for that ,hard and good thickness All the best keep up the good work 

Thanks Mate, yeah i make them from flat 8670 steel mate, so stock removal rather than forging. I like the idea if using leaf springs but i use 8670 flat stock at the minute,