Flu Jab..ugh!

ditchman

29 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

I forgot about the quadrivalent vaccine

I am fairly certain that the one I had last year (from Boots) was quadrivalent - whereas the standard NHS one (that year) was trivalent. 

If I remember right there was a different one to children (not injected, but nasal/throat spray?) and a different one for very elderly that I think covered less varieties (two?), but was much more likely to promote an active immune response for those types it did cover (getting the immune response to build up is apparently a problem in the very elderly and can make the normal vaccine not very effective in that group).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I am fairly certain that the one I had last year (from Boots) was quadrivalent - whereas the standard NHS one (that year) was trivalent. 

If I remember right there was a different one to children (not injected, but nasal/throat spray?) and a different one for very elderly that I think covered less varieties (two?), but was much more likely to promote an active immune response for those types it did cover (getting the immune response to build up is apparently a problem in the very elderly and can make the normal vaccine not very effective in that group).

Great post John, maybe we should have been medics!

Just as an aside and for amusement, I was having a good day on the stubble last year but as the day wore on felt more and more bloated with a slight biliousness. I decided to call it a day. Went home and within an hour was exiting from both ends of my body. The night before we had oysters which were only warmish and not sufficiently cooked. It didn't take too long to work out that it was norovirus in the oysters which is normally destroyed by cooking that caused the "problem".  The moral, unless you know the provenance of the oysters, cook them until the usual piping hot!

13 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Had flu in 1976 and 1998. Bad for 2 weeks in 1976 in 1998 had pneumonia with the flu and was ill for 5 weeks and lost 2 stone. Since I have paid for the flu jab and never had a bad reaction. This year due to bad health I got a free flu jab for the first time. Still fine after the jab, no side effects. :)

i like someone who knows what they are talking about..:good:...........it hacks me off when people say "ohhh ive had flu for the last couple of days ................"........

i had a bout of flu when i was maybe 18 or 20 years old....i was bedridden for 2 weeks....and i was superfit and healthy....i thought i was going to die....only people who have had flu really know what it is like....if flu hit this country proper...it would wipe out the older unprepared folk...they would drop like flies

god i was ill....and it took weeks to get back to normal....

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

That's real flu as you say ........... and apparently Covid is worse .........

That is why I like many here am doing my best to stay free of both flu (jab due on Monday) and Covid (following the rules).

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I had a flu jab in 1972 and was so ill afterwards I have refused another one ever since.

The only bad reaction that I had was in 1975, so perhaps the earlier vaccines had more side effects.

I avoided them for several years, but was persuaded in the 1990s  by a very attractive blonde GP that it would be beneficial, so I've been having them ever since, with only a slightly achy arm as an occasional consequence, and no flu.

14 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

That's real flu as you say ........... and apparently Covid is worse .........

That is why I like many here am doing my best to stay free of both flu (jab due on Monday) and Covid (following the rules).

Interestingly, many people are asymptomatic with covid whereas flu... well you know the rest. I guess there are people who catch flu but are lucky enough to shake it off not having a sufficient viral overload to go down with it. Unless flu testing went "viral" we'll never know the % of people who have the disease and the % that actually suffer with it. Incidentally, those who have a phobia of needles can always opt for an injection in their **** - common many years ago. Quite common these days too in some cultures.

On 08/10/2020 at 11:45, Balotelli said:

I forgot about the quadrivalent vaccine

Just an update.  I had my flu jab yesterday from Boots.  I enquired from the pharmacist and they have two types;

1. An "Advanced Trivalent vaccination" recommended for people aged 65 and over and generally as the NHS
  2. A "Quadrivalent vaccination" recommended for those between 12 and 64.

Mine is the quadrivalent type as I'm 'only' 63.

On 09/10/2020 at 09:15, ditchman said:

i like someone who knows what they are talking about..:good:...........it hacks me off when people say "ohhh ive had flu for the last couple of days ................"........

i had a bout of flu when i was maybe 18 or 20 years old....i was bedridden for 2 weeks....and i was superfit and healthy....i thought i was going to die....only people who have had flu really know what it is like....if flu hit this country proper...it would wipe out the older unprepared folk...they would drop like flies

Normal !

Normal !!!

You are most definitely, not normal :whistling:

******, i think a week in the naughty corner for me is on the cards......

The flu is serious business. I had it in 1999 when in the peak of physical health.  I don't think I've been fitter.  I couldn't get out of bed for a week. Like being hit by a truck. Hallucinations , massive temp, aching all over, couldn't eat, hardly breath. Nasty business.  I got out of bed for work, had a pee, fell over as my legs gave out, literally crawled back in bed and woke up 48 hrs later. Mum had changed the bedsheets as the ones covering me were soaked with sweat. Dr had been out  etc etc. No one else in the house got ill. 

Jan this year I'm pretty sure I had covid, half of work say the same. All the  symptoms but wasn't as bad as flu to me at least.  Severe congestion  felt bad for a month, literally a month of being run down. Struggled for breath the first week. Temp etc etc. 

18 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

The flu is serious business. I had it in 1999 when in the peak of physical health.  I don't think I've been fitter.  I couldn't get out of bed for a week. Like being hit by a truck. Hallucinations , massive temp, aching all over, couldn't eat, hardly breath. Nasty business.  I got out of bed for work, had a pee, fell over as my legs gave out, literally crawled back in bed and woke up 48 hrs later. Mum had changed the bedsheets as the ones covering me were soaked with sweat. Dr had been out  etc etc. No one else in the house got ill. 

Jan this year I'm pretty sure I had covid, half of work say the same. All the  symptoms but wasn't as bad as flu to me at least.  Severe congestion  felt bad for a month, literally a month of being run down. Struggled for breath the first week. Temp etc etc. 

yup that is flu...........forgot about changing the bedsheets everyday because of the sweat..........all i remember is aching and hurting all over every single bone and joint and my skin was so sore .........