Miroku mk70

Downesy

Hi does anyone shoot a miroku mk70 .

Im looking into changing my browning 725 for something with a higher grade wood and have came across a nice looking mk70. 

Before the 3hr round trip to view the gun in person, I'd like to know peoples opinions on them and if there is anything to look out for. 

Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Downesy said:

Hi does anyone shoot a miroku mk70 .

Im looking into changing my browning 725 for something with a higher grade wood and have came across a nice looking mk70. 

Before the 3hr round trip to view the gun in person, I'd like to know peoples opinions on them and if there is anything to look out for. 

Thanks. 

Both excellent guns really, but, the Miroku is likely to be a bit lower in the comb compared to the Browning.

I have a grade 1 MK70, low in the comb, very flat shooting, absolutely excellent gun. GR5 have a long documented history of cracked stocks. GR 3 is the best overall option but a good one holds a premium price.

They are really rock solidly built, look out for the bottom hinge pin being flattened on the lower side (heavily used), sloppy trigger or cracked heel plate. All can be sorted but obviously it needs to be reflected in the price.

A good friend has owned one for 32 years and it’s never missed a beat, he is a keeper and has really abused his gun.

Best of luck buddy👍

23 minutes ago, Taileron said:

I have a grade 1 MK70, low in the comb, very flat shooting, absolutely excellent gun. GR5 have a long documented history of cracked stocks. GR 3 is the best overall option but a good one holds a premium price.

They are really rock solidly built, look out for the bottom hinge pin being flattened on the lower side (heavily used), sloppy trigger or cracked heel plate. All can be sorted but obviously it needs to be reflected in the price.

A good friend has owned one for 32 years and it’s never missed a beat, he is a keeper and has really abused his gun.

Best of luck buddy👍

Thank you for the information its really appreciated.  If i decide to go and have a look at it i will keep your comments in mind.👍

Just now, Downesy said:

Thank you for the information its really appreciated.  If i decide to go and have a look at it i will keep your comments in mind.👍

No problem mate, they usually crack behind the grip and can be repaired very successfully so have keen eyes. If it’s an Invector gun, it’s old, invector plus is 90,s tech

56 minutes ago, Taileron said:

No problem mate, they usually crack behind the grip and can be repaired very successfully so have keen eyes. If it’s an Invector gun, it’s old, invector plus is 90,s tech

Ok thank you .

The serial # ends in MR so if my research is correct it was made in 2007.

My shooting pal has had his Miroku  70 or 7000 i'm not sure what one it is about 18 years. He has never had it serviced and has shot it 

virtually every week and the only problem he had with it was an ejector screw worked loose and fell out but it still worked.

He replaced the screw job done. I've had a couple of Miroku's and wished i had never sold them.

1 hour ago, samboy said:

My shooting pal has had his Miroku  70 or 7000 i'm not sure what one it is about 18 years. He has never had it serviced and has shot it 

virtually every week and the only problem he had with it was an ejector screw worked loose and fell out but it still worked.

He replaced the screw job done. I've had a couple of Miroku's and wished i had never sold them.

Thanks mate. Im after something that is going to be bomb proof and is going to last me without having to spend on maintenance all the time.   By the looks of it the mirouk ticks all the boxes.

1 hour ago, Downesy said:

By the looks of it the mirouk ticks all the boxes.

It does tick all your boxes but it's a very different beast from the 725. The MK70 is exactly the same gun as the original Browning 425 from 25 years ago but with different colour wood and different engraving. By today's standards it's very muzzle heavy, and the handling will be a world away from the much sharper and more agile 725. Might be worth looking at the much more lively MK60 which is the same gun but with fixed chokes.

9 minutes ago, MirokuMK70 said:

I've got one. I love it enough to name myself after it. I dont find it muzzle heavy, though it weight does help with your swing through. Pitted firing pins are an issue to watch out for though. Mine dates from 2006 and has invector chokes, not invector plus.

Same here buddy. I have a 32” MK38 with a trap fore end, that is muzzle heavy, but I find it fantastic for DTL. My MK70 is a 28”, I whacked a pair of 1/2 & 3/4 Teague Extended Chokes it it, the balance is spot on, exactly on the hinge. Absolutely love it.

I've got a Grade 6 MK70 30" invector+ that I've put thousands of rounds through shooting clays, driven birds and walked up birds and ground game, including 42g loads. The firing pins are pitted but other than general wear and tear it's fine and never skipped a beat. I love using it.

16 minutes ago, malmick said:

I've got a Grade 6 MK70 30" invector+ that I've put thousands of rounds through shooting clays, driven birds and walked up birds and ground game, including 42g loads. The firing pins are pitted but other than general wear and tear it's fine and never skipped a beat. I love using it.

The one I've seen is a left handed grade 5 30" . Will be used for sporting clays 99% of the time .

What started all this was when i went to have my b725 fitted .

The gunsmiths advised against spending the money on permanent changes on the b725 as they can be unreliable and possibly not a gun that would last me a long time.

He said i might be better off having a look at a 525 or miroku mk38 as they are very reliable and well made.  But as of yet i havent seen that i like the look of . This mk70 has recently came up for sale and im quite interested in going to look at it. 

24 minutes ago, malmick said:

Quite a rare beast in GR6, I bet the wood is lovely. I’m going to retire in a couple of years and have promised myself a nice GR5/6 as a gift to myself.

On 04/10/2020 at 19:36, Downesy said:

The gunsmiths advised against spending the money on permanent changes on the b725 as they can be unreliable and possibly not a gun that would last me a long time.

Whilst I'm not a fan of the 725 (or any Miroku built O/U) I have say that your gunsmith is talking nonsense. Apart from some slight change to the trigger system, the 725 action is identical to the very guns he's advising as being better. Neither the MK38 nor the 525 is "better built" than the 725.

8 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Deeper in the action to your 725 and therefore a different feel it. 

common issues on Mk70 is worn bottom striker resulting in miss firers, burrs on the bites making it rough/stiff to open top lever and high grade stock cracking through the hand. 

GR 3 is the way to go,some lovely wood on them and much stronger grain runs!!!

Gr5 must be the most broken stocks around ,seen more of them than any other gun by far...

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

I know nothing about Mirokus or their stocks, but can I just ask how stock breakages are such a common occurrence? What on Earth are the owners doing with their guns? 

Absolutely nothing, the fault lays with the wood currently being used. I know of someone who is on his THIRD MK38 Sporter Gd. 5. The previous 2 had cracked stocks, one even broke completely in two. I can vouch for the fact that his guns are never maltreated. 

The good thing is that BWM recognize the problem and changed the entire guns without quibble. 

9 minutes ago, London Best said:

I know nothing about Mirokus or their stocks, but can I just ask how stock breakages are such a common occurrence? What on Earth are the owners doing with their guns? 

The higher grade woodwork is known to be quite fragile on the nicer Brownings.