8 Bore cartridges

I am in the process of buying a W Watson & son single barrel hammer gun dating from the late 1800s partly for the experience of shooting it but mainly because it is a nice looking gun. My problem is that i have no experience with reloading ( although i intend to learn) so was wondering if anyone is reloading 8 bore commercially. Thanks in advance. Roy

Thanks for the offer gents but i am still not sure what i need. It has a damascus  choked barrel but shows no chamber length or load rating and a proof mark that i think is black powder. The gun itself is in nice condition and has either had an easy life or renovation at some stage and although it would look nice on the wall i just couldnt do it. Is it a practical proposition to shoot black powder or would a reproof for nitro be the way to go. Thanks   Roy

20201002_211852.jpg

20201002_231453.jpg

20201002_231322.jpg

Black powder is perfectly feasible and there are a few up here on the Solway regularly using it on the geese. I would guess it will be a 3 1/4” chamber but will be interested to hear what you are told by your gunsmith. Happy to let you have a copy of an early Alan Myers catalogue with loads.

if you go black powder you will be wise to get brass cases made.

I use nitro and ITM in No 1 or BB

I’m no expert but had to learn to reload to keep my 8 fed with a few shells each season. Can all be done with hand tools, Resizer, decapper / capper, RTO. Might not be prettiest loads but if I point them in the right direction geese fall down.

as mentioned above be wary of plas wads, I have heard a few bad stories. I compromised by just using the plastic gas seal cut off a Gulandi wad but have now got a tool for making inverted card cup gas seals.

1 hour ago, scolopax said:

I’m no expert but had to learn to reload to keep my 8 fed with a few shells each season. Can all be done with hand tools, Resizer, decapper / capper, RTO. Might not be prettiest loads but if I point them in the right direction geese fall down.

as mentioned above be wary of plas wads, I have heard a few bad stories. I compromised by just using the plastic gas seal cut off a Gulandi wad but have now got a tool for making inverted card cup gas seals.

Agree on all points, well made, although I probably use rather more shells.

Just a word of warning I sent an old 10 bore off for reproofing once via a gunsmith, it came back stamped 2 5/8 inch when I knew it was 2 7/8 as I had already taken a chamber cast .Not sure where the mistake was made but proof house agreed it was wrong and restamped it correctly.