Barbour jackets

countryman

5 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Anyone who thinks a Barbour wax jacket, either new or old, is the most effective outdoor garment at keeping you warm and dry really needs to step into the modern world.

That does sort of beg the question of what was better than Barbour back in the 70s for example. That is history of course and it is a shame that a company which did at one time do better than many others for whatever reason seems to either not want, or is unable, to continue to do so - at least in its traditional environment.

17 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Anyone who thinks a Barbour wax jacket, either new or old, is the most effective outdoor garment at keeping you warm and dry really needs to step into the modern world.

Yes, I had a Barbour for years. Finally went modern last season and wished I’d done so years ago. 

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

We have to remember that the Barbour Beacon Thornproof was produced from some time around the 1890’s, so reigned supreme for a very long time but was becoming old hat by the 1970’s,

Yep. With shooting becoming a small niche market by comparison, the accountants who undoubtably now run the show know where the biggest profit is to be had.

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Barbour wax coats were never very waterproof or warm, on cold days you could stand it up on its own it went that stiff, they were ok for beating though.

I had an old one - heavy duty, not sure which model.  It was my fathers originally.  It was heavy and about as flexible as a medieval suit of armour when cold - and it was pretty waterproof, but if you exercised, it got unpleasantly like a sauna inside - which rapidly turned to a freezer if you were still.  It was so stiff I couldn't shoot in it - it was just impossible to mount the gun properly as when you raised your arms - the whole thing reared up - but it was tough for beating.

4 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Too true,I ditched that gear 40 yrs ago!!! 

On 05/10/2020 at 12:35, JDog said:

Barbours were never water proof nor were they very warm to wear. They were fashionable for years until someone came along with something more suitable.

No jacket is completely waterproof unless it is one of those that the men wear whilst mending the road. My solution is to have two or three jackets to wear on a wet day. I also have two caps and two pairs of waterproof trousers.

This is the truth of it. I got very wet last Saturday waiting for some ducks to arrive in my Barbour (regularly and diligently re-waxed!). I have the Musto gear with waterproof drop liners and have tried ventile and Paramo. None of it keeps the water out completely while being breathable enough to stop condensation. I just layer and have dry clothes ready to change into. 

Chap turned up to our 'straw bale' clay shoot last Sunday.  Ancient Barbour jacket, Army and Navy sxs.  He can shoot too, certainly outshot me.  But it was peeing down and he was admiring my Decathlon waterproof, er, water resistant trousers.  Said I might treat myself to the matching jacket as the troose were doing a very good job.  You could see him mentally noting 'Decathlon' for subsequent googling.

So whilst working in Germany this week have dropped €77 on the jacket.  Will see how it holds up this weekend.

I like my Barbour waxed jackets, very much. There are better jackets out there nowadays, ( none of my Musto, CC’s or Laksen have ever let me down in cold or wet weather....the Laksen in particular is bombproof both in waterproof and insulation capacities ) but I quite happily wear any of my Barbour if I know it’s not going to be too wild out there. 
The biggest drawback to waxed jackets I found, was that if you weren’t wearing matching or waterproof pants, the rain simply runs off the jacket and onto your legs. 
I know plenty of folk who still wear waxed clothes for their shooting and beating. Nothing betters heavy waxed cotton for the latter. 

Edited by Scully