DR10 and FAC application

SpiritMR

Hi guys, 

First post so thanks for letting me join. 

I'm getting conflicting views amd opinions about my past. 

26th Sept 2016, I was convicted of drink driving.

I know it sounds majorly bad and there is no excuses or reason to be drink driving. But in my defense, I was't actually driving. After a really bad break up with the ex, was homeless, and living in the back of my Discovery at the time. 

Popped the locks and went to climb in the back and the blue lights came on. 

No resisting,

Infact told them there was no point in doing a breath test because I was over the limit,

Did a breath test and failed,

Got in the police car, no cuffs or anything,

Complied all they way,

Ect.

This is where the opinions and views come in. 

A few people have said because it was a non-violent arrest and have no previous convictions for litterally anything. Even openly handed myself in once to stop a domestic violence case agains me (another story). 

But a good friend, and someone who runs a local hunt. 

Has said, (due to misinformation) that there is no point in even applying because of the conviction, being recent. Then after being told it was over 4yrs ago, he said. Al probs have to prove that it was a one off. And due to the time elapsed, it should be fine. 

I am a member of a local gun club and on probation, so hopefully that will go in my favour, along with i'm not interested in 'hunting' I basically want FAC, so I can get into low level competitive .22rf target shooting. 

So what do you guys and gals think? 

Is there any point in my applying, or should I just give up trying. And see it as a 'well it was fun, whilst it lasted' sort of thing? 

If thats all you have against you, then in my opinion you will get your licence eventually. I know someone who was caught drink driving after a shoot. He was only just over, but he was over! He lost his SGC. The shooting organisation he was with advised him to wait a few years and then re-apply. I cant remember exactly how long it was, but i think it was about 4 years and then he applied and got it. But that was SGC not FAC.

6 minutes ago, SpiritMR said:

Just the advice I needed. 

Can this be done, before I make the application?

Because also if I get a refusual it will be flagged up and make it even harder for me to reapply.

Yes

From my friend who runs the local shoot apparently Lincolnshire police are dead against people owning guns. 

Said to me, a mate of his who has had a license for about 30yrs, reaplied a few months ago. 

They dragged up he was put on anti-depressants 20yrs ago and was going to refuse a renewal. 

Can I phone the FAO and ask if there is any point in applying, without giving my details?

Edited by SpiritMR

Can see your point. Hence why asking this question. 

Don't want an immediate refusal on my record since, obviously that will go against me, if I apply again. 

Really hoping, that I am worrying about nothing. And all will be fine. 

1 minute ago, crazycooker said:

So did they charge you with drink driving or drunk in charge of a vehicle ?

It was a **** show (seriously)

Without going in to too much detail. 

They removed the SD cards from my front and rear dash cams. Then in court tried to lie about me, driving over a 'raised and planted' round about. Quick jornment and google maps showwed they were lying. 

In the end I got 20month ban, £1000 fine. Ban was cut to 15months since I did the course. 

The judge really didn't want to listen to lack of evidence. Since I was sat waiting to go in, and the previous case was a lad who had nearly killed his ex. And when going to maccies for dinner. He was openly talking to his mates on the phone. Saying he had a chav in next for drink driving and would 'fire it out' so they could meet earlier. 

Basocally had no chance of getting my side heard.

1 hour ago, SpiritMR said:

The judge really didn't want to listen to lack of evidence. Since I was sat waiting to go in, and the previous case was a lad who had nearly killed his ex. And when going to maccies for dinner. He was openly talking to his mates on the phone. Saying he had a chav in next for drink driving and would 'fire it out' so they could meet earlier. 

That doesn't sound very likely. 

7 hours ago, SpiritMR said:

Will a DR10 from over 4yrs ago, stop me getting my FAC?

No one can tell you 100%, like Scully said applying is the only way to find out.

10 hours ago, Scully said:

There’s only one way to find out and that is to apply. 
If you’re turned down your money will be refunded anyhow.

If your licensing authority is against the public ownership of firearms they’ll just tell you not to bother anyhow, so I’d just apply and see. 

12 hours ago, Scully said:

There’s only one way to find out and that is to apply. 
If you’re turned down your money will be refunded anyhow.

If your licensing authority is against the public ownership of firearms they’ll just tell you not to bother anyhow, so I’d just apply and see. 

I am of the same thinking as Scully apply, If you do call the firearms dept for advice I am 99% sure that’s all they will tell you is apply & they will look at your application.

8 hours ago, SpiritMR said:

Lincolnshire office is open at 1pm so will give them a call then and see what they say.

The problem with that, is that you’re just going to get either a ‘stock’ response as laid down by that licensing authorities particular bias, or the personal opinion of someone who doesn’t really care about your predicament, and isn’t really in any position of authority to say,  or who will tell you that decision is down to the Chief so you should just go ahead and apply. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Scully

Probably not the reply you wanted, but I will share this experience anyway.

Last year a young guy started shooting at one of the gun clubs near me. He was a beginner and  accompanied his friend who is an experience shooter. He was a much liked guy and a decent shot in which I had the pleasure of shooting with a fair few times.

He enjoyed shooting enough that he rarely missed a meet, and decided to put in for his own SGC. The problem was that he had a DR10 on record, that he'd picked up a couple of years previously on the way to work in the morning after drinking the night before.

The FEO rang him up and advised him to withdraw his application, stating the DR10 would exclude him from being granted a SGC. The reason he was given was that he was seen as a person of poor character 

If he chose not to withdraw his application it would be denied, and he would find it extremely difficult to ever get a SGC as well as being classed as a prohibited person.

Unsurprisingly, his interest for shooting soon diminished which was a real shame.

Of course, your miles may vary and I would suggest you speak to the FEO and explain your situation. Honesty is definitely the best policy, and I wish you the best of luck.

1 hour ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

Probably not the reply you wanted, but I will share this experience anyway.

Last year a young guy started shooting at one of the gun clubs near me. He was a beginner and  accompanied his friend who is an experience shooter. He was a much liked guy and a decent shot in which I had the pleasure of shooting with a fair few times.

He enjoyed shooting enough that he rarely missed a meet, and decided to put in for his own SGC. The problem was that he had a DR10 on record, that he'd picked up a couple of years previously on the way to work in the morning after drinking the night before.

The FEO rang him up and advised him to withdraw his application, stating the DR10 would exclude him from being granted a SGC. The reason he was given was that he was seen as a person of poor character 

If he chose not to withdraw his application it would be denied, and he would find it extremely difficult to ever get a SGC as well as being classed as a prohibited person.

Unsurprisingly, his interest for shooting soon diminished which was a real shame.

Of course, your miles may vary and I would suggest you speak to the FEO and explain your situation. Honesty is definitely the best policy, and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the honest answer. 

As i've said Lincs is apparently an **** to get a FAC. 

Not got any violence on my record. So hopefully that will go for me. 

Spoke to a lass at what I'm guessing Lincoln today. 

She was actually really good. 

Spoke to her about my DR10 and was honest (to what the police said). And how things are now. 

Did meantion i'm on 'probation' and her voice suddenly changed until, I said was with the gun club and nothing to do with police. 

She said, as long as I'm honest about it, and just say, but can show to the interview officer, that it was 'extenuating circumstances' and things are different now (should have been married in 2weeks).

It should be alright. 

6 minutes ago, SpiritMR said:

Did meantion i'm on 'probation' and her voice suddenly changed until, I said was with the gun club and nothing to do with police. 

Been a probationary member of a club will have no standing with the police. A gun club has little knowledge of who you are, they just give you a reason to ask for a FAC.

8 minutes ago, SpiritMR said:

She said, as long as I'm honest about it, and just say, but can show to the interview officer, that it was 'extenuating circumstances' and things are different now (should have been married in 2weeks). It should be alright. 

Being honest about it will play in your favour. It shows good character. The interview with FEO is more about him sizing you up, and getting a feel for who you are and what makes you tick. S/he will have some sway with the Chief, but if the Chief doesn't want to give you a ticket based on convictions - you ain't getting that ticket.

Fingers crossed that everything goes alright for you, but be prepared to be knocked back (hope for the best and prepare for the worst). If you are knocked back, withdraw your application rather than having it denied - it will make life easier in the future and you can reapply again.

9 hours ago, SpiritMR said:

Thanks for the honest answer. 

As i've said Lincs is apparently an **** to get a FAC. 

Not got any violence on my record. So hopefully that will go for me. 

Spoke to a lass at what I'm guessing Lincoln today. 

She was actually really good. 

Spoke to her about my DR10 and was honest (to what the police said). And how things are now. 

She said, as long as I'm honest about it, and just say, but can show to the interview officer, that it was 'extenuating circumstances' and things are different now (should have been married in 2weeks).

It should be alright. 

So the advice was to just apply.