Hades

Ferret664

How do people find them? They seem to group nicely through my s410 carbine but the other day I hit a squirrel a bit low ( was going for a head shot and rushed it as it was so close and pulled down ) hitting the squirrel in the shoulder . He was broadside to me standing on his hind legs .  He was only about 10 yards and it looked like it thumped him but didn't penertrate and he merely ran off not looking any worse for where ? Now I know it was my fault with the placement but I have shot plenty of squirrels at similar range (never more then 10 yards )  in the body  in the past and never had any issues with other pellets ?.

Edited by Ferret664

Shame on you Sir - the Hades is going to save the world from tyranny, increase your guns power level to something resembling an Elephant rifle, make your gun laser accurate over such ranges that you will need to compensate for the curvature of the earth as well as making you truly irresistible to any woman you care to ogle - pretty sure that's what the adverts suggest?

Never shot anything alive with them because they wouldn't group in my gun. I'll try them in my mates fac, but thats not the point. 

Ill stick with good 'ol diablo and not waste my money again. 

Also if your only shooting 10-20 yards max, hit something with a flat head pellet, if it groups well enough which it should at that range, that's a impact it won't get up from 

Also it probably went straight through him 

Just now, London Best said:

And if you hit it broadside through the shoulder it probably ran a short distance and dropped dead. 

I followed it for quite a way and it just ran and ran and never stopped i lost sight of it eventually.  Carried on looking for a while after that but never found it . 

177 .version won't group in any of mine or my mates guns .fac or sub12  .

The best they have done is out of my bsa lightening around 25 mm at 25 yds .

cant comment on their effectiveness  as haven't used them on quarry .

I'd guess at 10 yds you might have hit a bit lower on the body than you thought and not connected with an organ .

oh . .25  .22 or .177 ? 

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

177 .version won't group in any of mine or my mates guns .fac or sub12  .

The best they have done is out of my bsa lightening around 25 mm at 25 yds .

cant comment on their effectiveness  as haven't used them on quarry .

I'd guess at 10 yds you might have hit a bit lower on the body than you thought and not connected with an organ .

oh . .25  .22 or .177 ? 

I really don't get the Hades hype? Its not a CF bullet travelling fast enough to fragment! IMHO people are lead to believe its going to transform a 12ftlb air rifle into something its never going to be. Find the most accurate pellet for your rifle and put it in the right place. 

I agree with Strimmer, a Diablo for longer ranges or a flat head close up, providing they are accurate in your rifle, will do the job every time. If a diablo can take out a rabbit at up to 50 yards comfortably, then the same would be true of a squirrel. Its only about accurate shot placement.👍

Well I have tried the Hades in .22 both my Brocock Bantam Sniper HR sub 12 and my FX Verminator FAC in .22. Just as accurate as Jumbo Exacts, and in my experience have a very effective impact. I think that I will stick with them. I only want to have one pellet that works with both guns, which these do.

Hi  l tried .177 hades pellets, they didn’t group well. My friend was told about how the pellets will expand we said they wouldn’t ,l got a tin to try, we were right. I fired them through a bsa mmc ultra and day state harrier . They didn’t group well enough to use on live quarry. If they were accurate l don’t think I would change pellets. I have used bisley magnums in both guns from new and they are very accurate. I only fired twenty ish pellets we should fire the rest of them in his muzzle loader, and see how they pattern. It was in May when we tried them, l should see if l can get them to expand. I tried hunter extreme and they were very accurate but they don’t expand l didn’t expect them to. They may group well in other guns, l don’t know. My friends have.22 guns but they don’t (test things ). Try them at 15 yards and 30 yards they must be accurate somewhere. Good luck with them.

In my experience no sub 12ftlb air rifle has enough power to make a lead pellet effectively mushroom. It does not matter if the pellet is hollow pointed, has a plastic tip etc. Round heads are the best trade off however if you can get flat heads to group within your hunting range they are well worth considering. Everything else is hype.

Hades really only start to open out on impact with soft targets at 18ftlbs, if you are shooting sub 12 they are effectively just another domed pellet.

Unless something was wrong with the air discharge, they shouldn't have bounced off and should have penetrated if point blank and possibly also exited. If you went through and through without going through ribcage, shot would be survivable.

if they group well in you gun and you are happy with them, use them, otherwise use something else.

Squirrels if you are going for a chest shot, the bigger calibre the better, I use .25, h&n FTT (20gr) at 11.8ftlbs.

Yes pellets are best chosen for accuracy. A hollow point pellet still has to hit a vital spot if it expands or not. Air guns have enough energy to kill small game in all calibre sizes or we wouldn’t be allowed to use them. In fac air guns the pellet travels faster to give flatter trajectory and accuracy at a longer range. Air gun pellets are quite hard and when striking fur or small bone it won’t expand much. If a pellet hits a vital spot it doesn’t have to expand or stay in the target. We did think of warming the pellets with a small plumbers torch to see if they expanded a bit, we should try it soon. Maybe they are a bit smaller in diameter. Many years ago using Eley four long cartridges the lead pellets would flatten when they hit rabbit bones, now lead is much harder and breaks the bone. The hades pellets must be accurate in some air guns ,maybe guns made in the Czech Republic .

3 hours ago, zipdog said:

In my experience no sub 12ftlb air rifle has enough power to make a lead pellet effectively mushroom. It does not matter if the pellet is hollow pointed, has a plastic tip etc. Round heads are the best trade off however if you can get flat heads to group within your hunting range they are well worth considering. Everything else is hype.

There was a very good Youtube clip carried out by AirGuns or something like that which looked at all the various pellets available and at sub-12 and FAC. Their conclusion was that the dum-dum type of pellets do not mushroom in sub 12 ft lb rifles.  In FAC rated rifles the pellets will mushroom. From my experience and talking to friends (yes, I do have some) a good domed pellet is by far and away the best bet. And I don't rate the pointed so called hunting pellets much either worse still they will damage some magazines. I have tried the Hades and found that they work well enough on live quarry but a lot of this new pellet technology is hype. 

Not a recommendation simply because all guns differ slightly but after having my local dealer check out my Wildcat (.177) I was somewhat surprised that he found Remington Thunder to perform the best ( H&N Field Target Trophy by any other name) - laser accurate and the handful of unlucky varmints that have strayed within 40 yards of me certainly haven't complained about lack of oomph. 

My FX is ok with them to 40 yards then they open out to being useless.

If your gun likes them don't worry we have all pulled shots or had a flyer, hit a unseen twig and had poor shot placement. 

Punch a bit more paper and check they doing what you think they should be doing. 

I have tried them in .177 , in both my HW110, and my Walther Terrus , both sub 12 , and found them to have no advantage over 8,4 JSB's.

In .22 FAC @21ft/lb , and 30ft/lb   they do expand , but not by much in the small quarry I shoot ie, Squirrel , Rabbits , Rats, Corvids.

I have , a tin , but use 14.4 g Jsb Exacts  most of the time. Conclusion ; Accuracy , 8/10 . Expansion 5/10.  But not game changing.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Hades pellets to try out on my S410. The pellet obviously doesn’t deform on a sub 12 ft ib air rifle. However, accuracy matches the AA Field at 40 yards and less in my air rifle and the muzzle energy went from 10.3 ft ib to just over 11 with the Hades compared to the AA Fields. 

This doesn’t sound much of an increase but it gives me confidence for the following reason. I control squirrels in a garden at a range of 16 yards. At this range I am 99% sure of exact pellet placement. Most of the time the squirrels drop, kick a few times then are dead. I don’t want any runners making it to neighbouring gardens. The last time I used a different pellet from Hades, I shot a squirrel and it dropped. I was sure the pellet placement was spot on so I left it where it lay, hidden from sight behind a bush. I went to pick it up at the end of the session and it ran off. It was hit between eye and ear, side on. A perfect shot but although it was badly wounded, somehow it made its way away into a neighbours garden. I could clearly see where the pellet had hit and it should have been stone dead. This troubled me as I felt bad for wounding it and concerned the neighbours would find an injured squirrel and the possible implications from that.

For this reason I experimented with a lot of different pellets through the chronograph and on paper, and I tried the Hades and found it to hit harder and put things down cleaner with less kicking.