BMI

The Heron

I had my well man you have not been to the doctors for years check last year. 

they did by BMI and the such. The nurse basically said your BMI didn’t really matter as long as you had a thin tummy (around the belly in line with the belly button) 

she did also say that according the the  guidelines regarding BMI the England rugby team should all be dead of diabetes or a heart attack  

BMI is used as a general measure for the population, I asked my own doctor about mine when my blood pressure went through the roof as I wasn't fat, was training 3 times a week plus my Saturday match when I was still playing rugby. Mine suggested I should be about 10.5 to 11 stone and he just looked at me with a raised eyebrow and said "if you went down to that kind of weight I would be VERY worried"

The best measure for health is body fat percentage, even that wee bit extra on the tummy isn't too bad for you, it's the visceral fat inside and round the organs that causes the big issues, especially round the heart and liver.

Admittedly, I have a few extra stone, never mind pounds, but my healthy BMI for my height 5ft 11 inch would have me at 9 stone 6lb to 12st 11lbs, which even at my fittest during universiity (5km run 3 times a week, weights 3 times per week) and cycling back and forward around campus, my lowest weight was 14.5st.

My younger brother is the opposite, 6ft 4 inch, and sits on the minimum healthy end of the BMI scale (in fact was recently below it) and struggles to put on weight (whether fat or muscle) no matter what he eats or does.

It varies with your basic build.  I am 'about right' when my BMI is between 22 and 24.  This is about 10 1/2 to 11 stone, which I struggle to keep down to.  However if I go over 11 1/2 stone, both blood sugars and blood pressure start to go into the 'amber', so I have to try and keep weight down.  If I put on weight it all goes around the middle!  I am a light build (light boned they used to call it), but people of my height are often 12 - 13 stone and carry it better than me and are fine.

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

I had a health check and was told that I need to lose about 1/2 stone to get to the correct BMI , but the nurse doing the test was 6" shorter and at least a stone heaver that me . Had to bite my tongue and say I  would.

I was weighed for an op to remove a couple of wisdom teeth, i am 6 foot and i weighed 15.5  st, i did not look fat as i have a big chest from competative swimming for many years and years in the military playing with bridges and other things, i am fit and walk miles.
She wrote my weight down and then said to me " you need to lose weight as you are obese" i looked at her, she was 5 foot 4 if that and was nearly as wide as she was high, you could rest a cup of tea on the fat where her backside met her back, she was at least 19 stone, i looked down on her and said " you should take your own advice you are a walking stroke or heart attack victim in the making" she went bright red and walked away, never saw her again.

My Brother in Law took the medical to join the RAF many years ago and was rejected as being obese as his BMI was way off the scale, my BIL was super fit , playing county rugby training with Neath rugby club and also had trials for Swansea football club, he was 5 foot 10 (still is) had an amazing physique with a huge 8 pack just rippling muscles, he appealed and went infront of a board of RAF doctors and officers, they asked him to take his top off, he did, apparantly one of the doctors burst out laughing, apologised and said they would be happy to have him in the RAF.
He joined the RAF, all he did was train and play rugby for the RAF for 3 years lol.

I remember when I applied for the Army about 20 years ago. The recruiter told me I had to lose a couple of stone according to my BMI. When I went for the physical and medical the nurse weighed, pinched, prodded and said "We need to talk about your weight". I knew what was coming, "Yeah I know, I need to lose a couple of stone". To which she snorted and said "No chance, you need to put at least 2 stone on, ideally 3!". According to her I was underweight, less than 5% excess body fat and un-fit to be sent abroad as I "wouldn't last 5 minutes". She said she hated BMI as she'd seen"healthy" lads and lasses ruined in a vain attempt to get down to some un-realistic ideal. It was a big thing at that time and, eventually, the forces issued a statement to recruiters to record weight, but not comment on it, as applicants were focusing more on weight than fitness.

Back then I had a bloody good metabolism and ice skated a lot, big thigh muscles pushed my weight up a bit. Unlike today where I'm mostly made of bacon!

We had a guy in the fire service who played local rugby and was considered for the Scottish squad, but he was told that he was too small (winger) and to bulk up, which he did but on his health check everything was fine apart from him getting dietary advice as he was "overweight"! 

You can't live that down on a fire station.... Fatty Matty!

I've been classed as obese since 18 years old even though I was fit as a fiddle with no fat on me. My doctor just laughed and said ignore it. 

Packed in smoking put four stone on, now I'm carrying too much but not to the degree they class me as. I'm 6'3" now I've shrunk a bit with age. 

I was told at 18 needed to be 12.5 stones, I was gob smacked, even as skinny 13 year old well over six feet I weighed more, heavy boned.

I’ve changed my life around and lost 3st but I’m over weight still . At 14st and 6’ tall .

at nearly 40 I’m trying to make sure I’m around for my 4 kids . 
I have no idea how I’m apparently over weight still . It’s work in progress still but I feel better than ever buy eating less processed food. 
sorry if the pic offends anyone 👍 it’s just been a long 8 months 

400290C2-412C-4E38-8272-374633A0459C.jpeg

176867CE-4D9B-4DD5-AB77-EAAB70906849.png

Edited by team tractor

4 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’ve changed my life around and lost 3st but I’m over weight still . At 14st and 6’ tall .

I have no idea how I’m apparently over weight still . It’s work in progress still but I feel better than ever buy eating less processed food. 

I'm 6 foot tall and in my prime was spending 6 months of the year swimming training in the Army, and regularly training with the commonwealth Squad, i was a consistant 14 stone 9 pounds , i was extremly fit but my BMI said i was overweight lol.

Now 14-9 is a distant memory😂

1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

I'm 6 foot tall and in my prime was spending 6 months of the year swimming training in the Army, and regularly training with the commonwealth Squad, i was a consistant 14 stone 9 pounds , i was extremly fit but my BMI said i was overweight lol.

Now 14-9 is a distant memory😂

I hit 17.2 but felt awful. 

I was 22 stone and 42" waist and decided I needed to lose weight and did and went down to 13st and 32" waist and looked terrible and then concentrated and putting on muscle and now go between 16-17st still 32" waist but feel better and look healthier, and yes I am classed as morbidly obese! Am I bothered? Nah

My upper limit is apparently  12st 12lb. I weighed more at 14  in fact I was 13.5 stone at 15 with an 18 inch collar and was in the national judo squad  and South London squad, played rugby twice a week  competed at judo at least once a week, trained for it 3 times and was constantly knacked. Its a load of bs and a very poor measure of health. 

1 hour ago, GingerCat said:

My upper limit is apparently  12st 12lb. I weighed more at 14  in fact I was 13.5 stone at 15 with an 18 inch collar and was in the national judo squad  and South London squad, played rugby twice a week  competed at judo at least once a week, trained for it 3 times and was constantly knacked. Its a load of bs and a very poor measure of health. 

Are you about 50yrs old and did  a lot of comps/gradings at Crystal Palace?

15 hours ago, team tractor said:

BMI is inappropriate for use on an individual level. Measure body fat percentage if you care and go on that. You look somewhere around 20%, which is pretty damn good for a chap your age. You might be able to shave a couple of percentage points off for visible abs, but it's not really worth the hassle. Being active and eating well is far more important. Good work. 

8 hours ago, ehb102 said:

BMI is inappropriate for use on an individual level. Measure body fat percentage if you care and go on that. You look somewhere around 20%, which is pretty damn good for a chap your age. You might be able to shave a couple of percentage points off for visible abs, but it's not really worth the hassle. Being active and eating well is far more important. Good work. 

My plan is to get some visible abs but I think your right about 20% . I was around 10% years ago but then I got fat at 35 and I’m trying to get back . 
I had a microwave meal a few weeks back being lazy . What’s in them ??? I couldn’t sleep and felt awful. 
I live off salads of late. 
Thank you for the compliment 👍

Edited by team tractor