Migraine?

fatchap

Had it for two days now and its really beginning to annoy me. Just typing this out and looking at the screen is agony. Tried pills tried a dark room, wife says its probably my eyes, Haven't had them checked for a while, need glasses for reading and close up stuff, but all ways been long sighted. She says maybe I need them all the time now. 

I'm booking an appointment at the opticians as soon as I can, so in the meantime anyone know a home remedy that will take this bloody pain away?

2 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

Have you heavily stepped down your caffeine consumption in the past few days?

Caffeine withdrawal is pretty awfull, but easily cured.

Actually I have cut right back on the coffee, was having trouble sleeping, 1 coffee in the morning and thats it for me now, Milky tea instead.

1 minute ago, fatchap said:

Actually I have cut right back on the coffee, was having trouble sleeping, 1 coffee in the morning and thats it for me now, Milky tea instead.

If I was you, I'd start drinking it again and take it down gradually. Or, I find the best way to do it is by using pro plus, because it's a measured dose.

3 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

If I was you, I'd start drinking it again and take it down gradually. Or, I find the best way to do it is by using pro plus, because it's a measured dose.

Its strange because I bought some De-caf coffee on Sunday and thats when the headache started after drinking a few mugs.

I have suffered with migrains for almost 70yrs. In my late teens it would totaly debilitate me, headaches, eyes squirmy, sick the lot for a couple of days. These days I just get the squirmy eyes and sit back somehwere out of the bright light or cap over my eyes, two Anadin and in an hour it has gone apart from feeling like someone hit me with a length of 4x2 all day.

I drink three or four large mugs of stength six coffee a day every day but what does set me off is a sudden flash or flicker of sunlight.

I feel for you and can not offer any way to ease the situation. Hope it clears soon.

Back in 1964 I did a survey on the problem and they asked all sorts of questions you had to answer and then they sent a result sheet and there was a whole double page list of things which set people off. 

15 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

what does set me off is a sudden flash or flicker of sunlight.

All my family are the same with this, I used to be really bad until made adjustments. My sisters have them everyday. I hate exposed light fittings in ‘trendy’ pubs etc. My wife was mortified last week when we went to a new place and I asked the waitress if I could just sort the lights the proceeded to unscrew the offending bulbs. When I left I screwed them back in. The problem is these places see something on the internet and try to ape it. They do not employ lighting designers and so do not understand that display lights must be very low luminosity with hidden lighting doing the heavy lifting. If my eyes catch a bare bulb as I move my gaze it can trigger an attack. I am a write off for 24 hours then. 

Had one myself today for the first time in 12 months or so. I'm fairly stressed at the mo so probably related to that. Fortunately didn't get the headache, just the sparkly eyes. Bright or flashing lights definitely set me off but don't think it was that today.

Migraleve used to be fantastic but no longer available for some reason. Codeine and paracetamol has sorted me in the past. Today I took a pink tablet out of the cupboard but don't really know what it was.

11 hours ago, henry d said:

Please get checked out at a hospital, my BIL had similar and was found to have had a stroke, please I don't want to alarm you but get checked out now!

+1 absolutely take Henry’s advice, but I bet your wife might be right about your eyes that could the cause.

Edited by blackbird

Get it checked out my wife thought she had migraine but it turned out to be giant cell arthritis which if not treated can cause loss of sight she is on 12 steroids a day and it looks like she will be on lower dose for the rest of her life.

so go and get it checked out ASAP 

Edited by snow white

I am afraid that I have come to the conclusion that migraines have a mind of their own and there is no rhyme nor reason to them and they come and go as they please.

I have cut out everything before associated with migraines and it doesn't make a jot of difference to me apart from dark chocolate and salmon.

I have tried Amitriptyline and all associated medications they did nothing.

If one really pees me off I have a good g+t at night and that seems to take the edge off.

Please note these are my experiences and I am not a doctor.

Thanks for the advice chaps, been off the computer as everytime I look at the screen a wave of pain flows through my head. Going to get my eyes checked tomorrow, fingers crossed I just need glasses. Been off work with it today as its now making me feel sick.

Wake up in the morning and its eased off but its not long before its back, which is why my wife thinks its probably my eyesight. Hope so, beginning to get a bit worried now.

Wish I was 20 again, didn't suffer with much back then apart from the odd hangover, now at 50 its aches and pains, back problems and bloody migraines. 

44 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Thanks for the advice chaps, been off the computer as everytime I look at the screen a wave of pain flows through my head. Going to get my eyes checked tomorrow, fingers crossed I just need glasses. Been off work with it today as its now making me feel sick.

Wake up in the morning and its eased off but its not long before its back, which is why my wife thinks its probably my eyesight. Hope so, beginning to get a bit worried now.

Wish I was 20 again, didn't suffer with much back then apart from the odd hangover, now at 50 its aches and pains, back problems and bloody migraines. 

I wish you all the best having your eyes tested and hope it works for you.

Yes it would be nice to be able to turn the clock back but unfortunately I think you will find that it is a cross that you will have to carry.

My biggest help was the wife leaving and I’m not joking. I used to have migraines every other day but when she left I changed my diet and I’ve had 2 migraines in 8 months now. 
neck stretching helps me and exercise. 
using a chiropractor has helped me over come tinnitus and migraines too

Edited by team tractor

On 06/10/2020 at 21:30, henry d said:

Please get checked out at a hospital, my BIL had similar and was found to have had a stroke, please I don't want to alarm you but get checked out now!

I had a terrible head ache in work once and fuzzy vision on my right hand side.  Colleagues forced me to go down to A&E and they said the loss of vision on right side is a big sign of a TIA (mini stroke) so I ended up having 2 scans in the tube... 

Thankfully it was JUST a migraine, however they took it very seriously And we’re fantastic. 

As Henry has advised, go and get it checked out. 

On 06/10/2020 at 20:35, Cosmicblue said:

I get the blurred vision bit without the headache and seems to be associated with needing a dump - have had it checked out and apparently it's quite common.    Lying on the bed with a cold wet face-cloth on the forehead, eyes shut, curtains closed helps too. 

Not sure about needing the toilet here, but i get ophthalmic migraines, they usually last around 30 mins to an hour and they are more common that i knew.  Quite worry when it first happened, not knowing is the worrying thing. 

Strangely, I have suffered less and less with migraines with age. When I get a hint of one a 500g (not 200g) neurofen does the trick. I also found that as a kid inhaling steam also eased the pain. But, many comments here blame caffeine withdrawal and that is absolutely correct. As posted above, come-off the caffeine slowly. I used to be a caffeine nut and have gone on to decaf tea and coffee in an attempt to get my blood pressure down without resorting to pills. That didn't work but my pulse dropped from mid 70s to mid 50s and that alone might help with the migraines. Incidentally, Aldi decaf tea is cheap and good and Morrisons own brand ground coffee is also very good, cheap and to be honest I can't taste the difference between the caffeinated and non-decaff versions. 

@fatchap, glad to hear that it's settling! 

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

but i get ophthalmic migraines,

Same here, only had two but I found them quite disorientating, my vision was pixelated in my point of vision so I could not see much for an hour or so, then get a bit of a headache. I think I would rather have this than the migraines my wife used to get, they are so debilitating!