FAC and Depression (over 5yrs ago)

SpiritMR

Talking to a mate, at work today who is like me and wanting to join the club i'm at and get his FAC.

One point is 5years ago he tried to kill himself, by od'ing on painkillers. 

To be fair to the lad, we have worked together for years. He was in an abusive relationship. And it call came to a head. So he admits it was a stupid thing to do. 

But now has a new life and even talking about it, can see he never wants to go back to that place.

He doesn't want to pay the membership fee £120, do the probation, buy cabnets, ect. 

To be refused. 

Should he apply?

Been 5yrs since he was like that, and is genuinely a complete different person now. 

What do you guys say?

49 minutes ago, ninjaferret said:

I would say no, i know someone who had a similar episode over 10 years ago, and still they won't give him any cert's.

Even if he goes to doctor, and gets an evaluation?

Again he is like me, not interested in hunting, just .22rf target shooting.

51 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

He can apply with use of the cabinet at your house. If he applies for SGC he doesn’t need to join a club. I joined a rifle club long before I applied for an FAC. 

Club I am at has a 'locker room' that ha loads of cabnets. In the club house which is only accessable between 1000 and 1700.

So hopefully they will see he is looking into things and proving himself to be responsible.

We both work in a high stress job (stevedor), no such thing as an easy day. It is 12-14hrs of constant stress and pressure. Not really a suprise after what he wet through he 'snapped' but as said he is a complete different lad now. And one of the best i've ever worked with.

2 minutes ago, ninjaferret said:

I'm not a firearms officer mate, i don't know, i'm just saying what they've said to my friend.

Where are you at ?

We are in N.E Lincs.

Which according to my hunt leader mate, they hate having civi's with guns. 

Are you and your ‘mate’ actually the same person? 
I find it weird you’re asking how your application will go on one thread regarding one matter, and then all of a sudden there is someone else at the same club in a similar quandary! 
Whatever the problem the advice remains the same....there’s only one way to find out. 

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

Are you and your ‘mate’ actually the same person? 
I find it weird you’re asking how your application will go on one thread regarding one matter, and then all of a sudden there is someone else at the same club in a similar quandary! 
Whatever the problem the advice remains the same....there’s only one way to find out. 

Nope. Am not that tall or ugly to pass off as him. 🤣🤣

Bearing in mind the individuals, who weren't weeded out, who have virtually ruined and demonised our sport through their actions, I would have to tell your mate to take up squash. 

No disrespect to your friend but vetting has to kept to the very highest of standards.

You will only know by applying tbh. If he doesnt want to risk a years club fees etc then trying clays shooting and a shotgun certificate would be an initial way of testing the waters as its slightly less arduous and the criteria for mental health is the same. 

However as the GP has to sign off on this I would say its going to be tough going as five years isnt long in the view of risk especially if hes in the same high stress environment.

A recent experience really opened my eye to this as someone close to me got kicked back for life insurance due to mistype on the doctors information and that was only relating to having thoughts about self harm.   

Edited by Zetter

9 hours ago, SpiritMR said:

Niether of us have applied yet. 

I'm on probation for another 2months. 

He hasn't signed up yet, due to not wanting to waste £120 membership fee, to be refused when he does apply for fac. 

Don’t see it as a waste 

I see it as a commitment to the club and the sport 

worst thing to happen is to ask for a refund or carry on for the year using the club gun 

The only thing he can do is join the club, complete his probationary training while becoming a polite and regular club member. Its down to your particular firearm licensing as to him being suitable to own guns and no one on here including myself can change the outcome.

They might say no initially but once he becomes a full member he is eligible to use club guns-then reapply a year later. 

Im not saying yes or no either because i dont know all the facts.

Like others have said impossible to predict, every licensing authority will be different.

But if guns being stored on club house/cabinet can't see there being an awful lot of risk.

But still easier to say No, which then covers there behinds.

It might be worth him joining basc or another org, or possibly more than 1. God knows if basc would be any help but they definately won't if he applies for FAC 1st before he is a member as it would be an ongoing issue, which ever org he joins join it before he applies.

That's why I would join multiple orgs so if basc are useless ( as I expect they will be) u have a fall back org as he will have a higher chance of having issues than a normal 1st time applicant

I’ve had my sgc for 20 years and Fac 7-8 . 
in February I was arrested after being set up for a crime I did not do . 
my wife accused me of violence and I was locked up for 23 1/2 hours and bailed for 3 months .All dropped and I found out she was having van affair  
I was almost sectioned and placed on antidepressants. Although I never tried suicide I was really ill and lost 3st . 
8 months on I’ve had to agree to silly rules about storage but I’ve kept my Fac . 
I’m off all my pills now but I know several on pills and Fac holders . 

it’s not clean cut . 
I volunteered for an assessment and it helped .