SpiritMR

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, amateur said:

Unlikely to lose that in a field or carpark 😁

Each to their own.

30 years ago I bought a red turbo diesel 110 County Station Wagon. Because it was a good vehicle I told myself the colour didn’t matter.
Nine and a half years and 175,000 miles later it was still like driving a ruddy fire engine!

33 minutes ago, London Best said:

Driving a series 3 with a Perkins engine is surely enough to put anyone off for life!

(yes, I have driven a few!)

Drove a LWB with a 236 in it quite a bit pulling a laden trailer....it was fairly unstoppable whatever you had to scale...pulled like a tractor..lol !!!!

58 minutes ago, London Best said:

Driving a series 3 with a Perkins engine is surely enough to put anyone off for life!

(yes, I have driven a few!)

It was a 4203 Perkins from memory it stands for 4 cylinder 203 cubic inch and I have somewhere the engine manual.

31 minutes ago, B725 said:

It was a 4203 Perkins from memory it stands for 4 cylinder 203 cubic inch and I have somewhere the engine manual.

may of been ,they did a 236 also though and was it a 4-182 that Mazda ripped off?

It`s all a long time ago!!!

Edited by matone

53 minutes ago, B725 said:

Yeah, they were a great engine in a combine but only revved to, I think, 2800, whereas the Land Rover engines did 4200 for about 65mph so with a Perkins through a standard drive train the Landy did about 42. So people fitted RR diffs or later 90/110 diffs to raise the gearing, which helped a bit. The real problems were that the Perkins was far too heavy for the suspension and had too much torque for the gearbox. So basically the engine shook the vehicle to bits. All good fun.

Perkins were very good engines, much used by Massey Fergusson.  They were low reving high torque and I think were all direct injection?  They were all iron in construction and actually formed part of the tractor 'chassis', hence the weight.

In my opinion, the first 'decent' diesel in a LandRover was the 200 TDi, which was also a direct injection, but with fancy twin stage(?) injectors (I think I have that right?).  Not only was it powerful compared to the similar sized engines that had gone before, but it was also economical and tough.

Everybody used to knock the original Land Rover turbodiesel. They had a terrible reputation, mostly, IMO, due to lack of proper maintenance. My 110 CSW turbodiesel did 175,000 miles before I sold it with nothing more than proper routine servicing. It was a beautifully smooth quiet engine, much, much quieter than the 300tdi that I swapped it for, but the 300 was a better engine. I never owned a 200.

24 minutes ago, London Best said:

much quieter than the 300tdi that I swapped it for, but the 300 was a better engine. I never owned a 200.

The 300 was a 'quietened down' version of the 200!  200 is noisy - no two ways about that.

Other than  that, I don't think there is much to choose between 200 and 300.  Both have their supporters and detractors.  300 uses the R380 gearbox whereas 200 uses the older LT77, which can be a bit cantankerous.  300 also has a much improved clutch pedal assembly (that can be retrofitted to 200) that much improves the very heavy clutch pedal action of the 200.

The key to all basic LandRovers is that you have to be the right shape to fit it.  The seat barely moves and the steering doesn't move at all, and it is narrow.  Consequently, tall and broad people cannot be comfortable easily.  I am both short and fairly slim, and fit it nicely, but I can see the problems for larger and taller people.

Pic is my 200 in its element.

8C76250A-A391-4DBE-ADDB-AC85649B421C_1_105_c.jpeg

I swapped the turbodiesel 110 for a 300tdi Discovery. I didn’t think the vehicle was noisy to drive but the first time I went to zero a rifle I stopped the Discovery, left the engine running and paced out 100 yards as usual. I was amazed that I could hear the 300tdi from the target as I had never heard the turbodiesel from the same spot.

44 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The 300 was a 'quietened down' version of the 200!  200 is noisy - no two ways about that.

Other than  that, I don't think there is much to choose between 200 and 300.  Both have their supporters and detractors.  300 uses the R380 gearbox whereas 200 uses the older LT77, which can be a bit cantankerous.  300 also has a much improved clutch pedal assembly (that can be retrofitted to 200) that much improves the very heavy clutch pedal action of the 200.

The key to all basic LandRovers is that you have to be the right shape to fit it.  The seat barely moves and the steering doesn't move at all, and it is narrow.  Consequently, tall and broad people cannot be comfortable easily.  I am both short and fairly slim, and fit it nicely, but I can see the problems for larger and taller people.

Pic is my 200 in its element.

8C76250A-A391-4DBE-ADDB-AC85649B421C_1_105_c.jpeg

You are right about the shape. I have been driving them for so long I am now the right shape and can’t get comfy in anything else!

I don’t own one personally, but I do get to drive these three pretty regularly. They are all 130’s and loaded to the gunnels with a multitude of Kit & equipment which makes the handling ‘interesting‘.

E46BB532-F6DE-4953-8113-5F17DFEAB0B7.jpeg

Edited by Jonty