Patterning

The Heron

23 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Not really I’m sure there’s a mathematical equation to calculate the amount of strikes required to give a humane kill 

anyone know 

number of strikes needed at 40 yards 

number 5 steel shot 

28 grams 

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/06/Cartridge-Patterning-We-need-to-do-it-and-better.pdf

If you accept that there are some errors in the overall pattern pellet count required to meet the given 6 or 7 pellet strike, then this isn't too bad. Burrard will give you the vulnerable area of the quarry species so you can assess the number of pellets required. Your conscience will dictate whether or not you consider the 95% is a sensible figure.

BASC has based this on an American input. We have a homegrown version which by a different route comes to the same conclusion so it's probably fair to say that there is some merit to it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

This is all I’m interested in. Primarily where the shot pattern prints in relation to my muzzle, and how tight that pattern is. 

Exactly. I can’t see the issue. 
When target shooting all we ever did was staple another target atop the previous one. 🤷‍♂️

Counting pellets - no thanks !

18 minutes ago, wymberley said:

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/06/Cartridge-Patterning-We-need-to-do-it-and-better.pdf

If you accept that there are some errors in the overall pattern pellet count required to meet the given 6 or 7 pellet strike, then this isn't too bad. Burrard will give you the vulnerable area of the quarry species so you can assess the number of pellets required. Your conscience will dictate whether or not you consider the 95% is a sensible figure.

BASC has based this on an American input. We have a homegrown version which by a different route comes to the same conclusion so it's probably fair to say that there is some merit to it.

I’m thinking this is for lead shot ?

thanks for the link 👍

29 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I’m thinking this is for lead shot ?

thanks for the link 👍

No, any shot material. No matter what the material is providing the pellets have sufficient force the same pellet strike rate is required for the individual shot to be effective. The only way to ensure that as far as is possible is to pattern the gun/cartridge. If you do look at the link, you'll understand my earlier remark about not ignoring any particular one test shot by looking at the final sentence of the second paragraph of "How Many Cartridges.

EDIT: Apologies, Smoker, I don't type very fast - you weren't there when I started.

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

How so?

As I understand it, the general consensus is that steel shoots tighter patterns than lead choke for choke. Steel has more pellets than lead, load for load. If we assume that we go up two shot sizes when using steel to maintain striking energy required there will still be more pellets in that load than a lead load two sizes smaller. Then the same choke delivers the new steel load to the target in a tighter pattern than the original lead load so there will definitely be more steel pellets in the 30 inch circle than from the lead load. I have used plenty of steel shot on duck and geese to know that it works just fine. I have no intention of not using lead on game unless it is illegal.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

As I understand it, the general consensus is that steel shoots tighter patterns than lead choke for choke. True. Steel has more pellets than lead, load for load. Providing the pellets are the same size. Eg 0.11" - lead 220 and steel 291 both per ounce. If we assume that we go up two shot sizes when using steel to maintain striking energy required there will still be more pellets in that load than a lead load two sizes smaller. Not true. Lead No 5 still 0.11" and 220/oz, but steel now No 3 and 163/oz Then the same choke delivers the new steel load to the target in a tighter pattern than the original lead load so there will definitely be more steel pellets in the 30 inch circle than from the lead load. Doubtful, although the pattern would be tighter. A 1/4 choke giiving the lead 121 pellets in the 30" would need to tighten up the steel pattern to Full+  I have used plenty of steel shot on duck and geese to know that it works just fine. I have no intention of not using lead on game unless it is illegal.

I know full well that steel works, but within reason.

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I know full well that steel works, but within reason.

To be perfectly honest, I can’t say I ever noticed any reduction in range using 32 gram steel 4’s on anything from Teal to Canada’s. But I have never been one for stretching barrels anyway. I always preferred/did better with small shot and in lead days I found no.4’s did best for me on geese.