Tipping on shoots - Covid

HW95J

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I overheard someone saying their shoot was going to have a 'compliments box', whilst someone else mentioned their keeper was refusing to do any different than previous years.

The peg draw was discussed at great length as well. Some were doing a socially distanced peg draw, whilst other ridiculed the idea saying that they could tell you now what pegs people would be on if it wasn't done under careful scrutiny.

21 hours ago, snow white said:

We shot last weekend nothing different from last year just drawn pegs and hand shake at end of day like said probably catch more of birds feet than hand shake 

Nothing wrong with that as long as everyone uses the hand sanitiser provided afterwards.

I feel that so many of the Covid measures are for show and have no perceptible benefit to reducing the transmission of the virus. People want to be seen to be doing something. Personally I would take an envelope and a tip, follow the keeper’s lead if he shakes your hand then tip in the normal way. If not then pop the tip in an envelope with your details and a simple message of thanks then place it wherever seems appropriate for their collection.

4 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I feel that so many of the Covid measures are for show and have no perceptible benefit to reducing the transmission of the virus. People want to be seen to be doing something. Personally I would take an envelope and a tip, follow the keeper’s lead if he shakes your hand then tip in the normal way. If not then pop the tip in an envelope with your details and a simple message of thanks then place it wherever seems appropriate for their collection.

That sounds like a plan. I will be shooting on Saturday and will stick an envelope in the Land Rover tomorrow, just in case.

18 hours ago, The Heron said:

I went on one recently I put the tip in an envelope with the top folded in no licking and sticking as for the keeper who insisted on the old way I'm afraid that he would be disappointed. 

Exactly!

If someone is disappoint by my behaviour on the shooting field because i refuse to shake hands then that’s their problem. If the keeper is so insistent that the only way a tip can be given is with a handshake then he can go without, no skin off my nose.

For all the people saying you’re more likely to catch something off a pheasants feet. What absolute rubbish. I have gone on many shoots and developed colds a few days later. I am certain they came from handshaking and close contact with people rather than from a pheasant foot!! Covid is spread in exactly the same way.

I welcome the shift away from handshaking. Been refusing it for years myself due to the medical treatment i am on reducing my immunity. Always though it was an unnecessary antiquated practice.   

6 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Exactly!

If someone is disappoint by my behaviour on the shooting field because i refuse to shake hands then that’s their problem. If the keeper is so insistent that the only way a tip can be given is with a handshake then he can go without, no skin off my nose.

For all the people saying you’re more likely to catch something off a pheasants feet. What absolute rubbish. I have gone on many shoots and developed colds a few days later. I am certain they came from handshaking and close contact with people rather than from a pheasant foot!! Covid is spread in exactly the same way.

I welcome the shift away from handshaking. Been refusing it for years myself due to the medical treatment i am on reducing my immunity. Always though it was an unnecessary antiquated practice.   

I feel very sorry for you.

23 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Exactly!

I completely agree with you...thanks to the Chinese, our world has changed.  Hand shakes are (for now) a thing of the past - I certainly won’t be tipping with a handshake and won’t be going that close to anyone. We can continue shooting because we can easily maintain distancing - I am dismayed by the lack of concern about the virus displayed on this thread and I hope you are all luckily and don’t get it or pass it on to vulnerable family members. 

Everyone loves ranting about people not following the Covid rules... until they’re on the receiving end of a fistful of cash... happy to hug and shake hands then 🤣🤣

Cant see some enjoying an “honesty box” tip box, as they don’t know who has given what then 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Surely it is just a case of showing your appreciation in whatever way you feel most appropriate having regard to:

• Your personal health conditions
  • The risk you are prepared to take with your own health and that of others.
  • Social distancing rules

As long as you show your appreciation I cannot see what the issue is in terms of how you do it.

7 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Guns put cash in an envelope yesterday. I don't like the pooling of tips, if I tip extra because the keeper did something helpful for me personally I want him to know I was appreciative. I don't want to take away the personal connection entirely. 

Most keepers I know it just pop them all in their pocket and they’d have no idea who it came from!!