Rabbiting

lekyrog

Never had a CZ so can't comment but a synthetic stocked Sako Quad with a 13" barrel is very manageable, especially in a 4WD.

I also have a 16" HMR barrel for it that is also very convenient for off the door mirror or out the sunroof shooting. Point to note that you may not have found yet is that the sonic crack of HMR confuses rabbits because the strike that took out their buddies occurs at the same time as the crack so they can't identify the source of the shot.

You'll quite often get an opportunity to empty a mag at them if you don't do anything to give away your position. Air and .22LR lack that effect.

The third clip in my video will show that sonic crack confusion: 

Edited by Dave-G

Yes I have a CZ American 22 they are heavy for a rim fire as the lads said Anshutz best bet I’d stay away from browning TBOLT had one in 17hmr nothing but problems The scope base the scope mounts go into constantly came lose Speaking with dealer he told me there was a batch that had the same problem Also the trigger was terrible 

6 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Yes I have a CZ American 22 they are heavy for a rim fire as the lads said Anshutz best bet I’d stay away from browning TBOLT had one in 17hmr nothing but problems The scope base the scope mounts go into constantly came lose Speaking with dealer he told me there was a batch that had the same problem Also the trigger was terrible 

Oh I forgot about the trigger on my anschutz, there you go it's that good you forget about it LOL 😄

Mate had a brand new Anschutz shot like **** , went back for repair , but both of my tikka and CZ are far better, even after his Anschutz came back  apart from the trigger , and that’s  from a owner of the Anschutz

on another forum a lot not happy with them as well

Edited by villaman

13 hours ago, Dave-G said:

I have quite large hands, any time I handle brothers thumbhole Anni I accidentally knock the bolt handle up off its lock down position.

Sako Quad is much nicer and lighter to handle. There is a reason not many are sold on.

I see there is a .22lr Sako Quad Varmint with thumhole stock on gunwatch for £540. Do you think thats a good price?

Cant find the gun your on about but if its a thumbhole stock i would think it is an aftermarket stock , probably laminate which are quite heavy as i had one years ago and whilst it was a lovely gun the weight was the decider to sell it , so you may not be any further forward

4 hours ago, lekyrog said:

I see there is a .22lr Sako Quad Varmint with thumhole stock on gunwatch for £540. Do you think thats a good price?

Sounds like its a heavy barrel one to me - though I've never heard of a heavy barrel .22LR. I have no experience of the thumbhole stock but suspect it will be wood which is lot heavier than composite stocks that are usually hollow - as per your post requirement.

Is there any reason you are only interested in .22LR rather than the significantly flatter and frangible HMR caliber? If that requires a variation I'd strongly suggest you wait for it to get granted. Most FLO's will readily agree its a safer caliber better suited for rabbits.

Where are you?

Edited by Dave-G

59 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Sounds like its a heavy barrel one to me - though I've never heard of a heavy barrel .22LR. I have no experience of the thumbhole stock but suspect it will be wood which is lot heavier than composite stocks that are usually hollow - as per your post requirement.

Is there any reason you are only interested in .22LR rather than the significantly flatter and frangible HMR caliber? If that requires a variation I'd strongly suggest you wait for it to get granted. Most FLO's will readily agree its a safer caliber better suited for rabbits.

Where are you?

1 hour ago, lekyrog said:

Was going with .22LR because thats the only rifle Ive had.  The subsonic ammo is very quiet and the CZ is very acuarate but as in my first post very heavy. Mine is a thumb hole stock but dont mind a composite if it makes it lighter.

I am in Lincolnshire.

That's much as I thought, give some good thought to a HMR as a second rifle is my suggestion. It works great down to about 15" barrels. You'll benefit from a decent sound mod with it, so not a SAK which is ally and baffles erode from muzzle flash on short barrels. Expect sub 1" groups at 100 yards.

Maybe search for posts HMR Vs LR or invite opinions on here. A HMR is almost point and shoot from 30 yards to 130 yards or so with a 100 yard zero and only occasional chance of ricochet.

If you add location to your profile you might well find someone local will invite you along to try theirs - or you can invite them for a night out on your permission. If you ever get close enough to east Leicester I'd be happy to meet at one of my permissions where you can try mine from the car.

This is good reading and worthy of a place in your favourites: https://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Edited by Dave-G

I'm with Dave-G on this one, I love my 17HMR it is zeroed spot on at 100 and I just centre the crosshairs and whatver it is falls over. I have shot many different calibres and own some wildcats but the 17HMR in my view is one of the best inventions.  I also own a Browning T Bolt 22RF and that is also brilliant for really serious keenie meeniee situations where zero noise is required.  Composite wooden stocks are heavy.